How is urea produced in humans
Synonym: carbamide, carbonyl diamide, carbonic acid diamide
urea is the end product of the urea cycle, which is used in the human body to detoxify the metabolic toxin ammonia, which arises from the breakdown of amino acids. By multiplying by the factor 0.46, the urea nitrogen can be calculated from the urea.
Most organisms have a tendency to reuse the ammonia that comes from the breakdown of amino acids. This is made possible by the glutamate dehydrogenase reaction.
But ammonia is a highly toxic substance. Even a slight increase in the ammonia concentration in the serum leads to impairment of the efficiency of the central nervous system, in extreme cases a comatose state occurs (ammonia intoxication). It is therefore necessary to quickly remove the ammonia formed in the metabolic nitrogen-containing compounds. Most vertebrates and invertebrates excrete the unneeded portion of the ammonia formed either as urea, ammonia or uric acid.
- Ureotelian organisms (terrestrial vertebrates, humans) form urea from the amino nitrogen.
- Ammonotelian organisms (many aquatic animals and bony fish) release the nitrogen as ammonia.
- Uricotelian organisms (birds and land-dwelling reptiles) excrete the amino nitrogen as uric acid.
In humans, as Ureotel, the predominant part (80 - 90%) of ammonia is broken down into a non-toxic substance, urea, which is readily soluble in water, and thus detoxified and excreted. The urea nitrogen concentration in the serum is about 50 to 100 times the toxic ammonia concentration.
As a small, uncharged molecule, urea can freely cross cell membranes and distributes itself in the body like water. Some of the urea is broken down in the intestine (split into carbon dioxide and ammonia).
3 laboratory medicine
The urea concentration in serum and urine is an indicator of protein turnover. The greater the protein turnover, the higher the urea excretion, controlled by so-called adaptive enzymes of the urea cycle. The synthesis of urea mainly takes place in the liver, only in this organ are all the enzymes of the urea cycle present in higher activity.
Urea is filtered glomerularly in the kidneys and partially reabsorbed. The determination of the urea concentration is therefore suitable for clinical diagnostics
Only when the glomerular filtration rate falls below 75% of the norm is the upper serum limit value for urea exceeded. Since the urea concentration in serum also depends on the protein metabolism, urea is not as suitable as creatinine for assessing kidney function. The urea determination is therefore usually used in addition to the determination of creatinine.
In acute tubular necrosis, the serum urea concentration can decrease while creatinine increases. The reason for this is that the cell necrosis hinders the back diffusion.
Urea levels can also be used to assess catabolism and protein intake in critical care medicine.
1 ml of serum is required for the examination.
3.2 Measurement method
The most common method is the enzymatic / photometric determination of the serum urea concentration.
3.3 Reference range
|clientele||Normal value [mg / dl]|
|Women||under 50 years||15 to 40|
|over 50 years||21 to 43|
|Men||under 50 years||19 to 44|
|over 50 years||18 to 55|
|children||1 to 3 years||11 to 36|
|4 to 13 years||15 to 36|
|14 to 19 years||18 to 45|
The reference range of urea depends on the method and should be taken from the respective printout.
3.4.1 Increased urea concentration
The urea concentration in the serum is increased in:
3.4.2 Decreased urea concentration
The urea concentration in the serum is decreased in:
- 15 to 35 g of urea are excreted in the urine every day.
- The routine double determination of creatinine and urea in case of renal insufficiency is not justified, since the urea concentration is strongly dependent on protein intake, catabolism and diuresis.
- Another measuring method for determining the urea concentration is the measurement of the nitrogen content of urea in the serum.
see also:Urea nitrogen
- Laborlexikon.de; accessed on March 11, 2021
- How many doctors love their job
- Should be drunk before meals
- May boys girls around 52
- How to Unlock Your LG Phone
- What is the average duration of chickenpox?
- Calculates money using Pinterest
- Why did you start drinking tea
- How Much of Academia is a Scam
- Why is money more important than relationships
- Which band sang the song Fake It
- Is there a way to research
- Can you compost soil
- What are security options in Apache Spark
- Can go vinyl flooring over concrete
- Why is antenatal testing important
- You can use puzzles to develop strategic skills
- Is that an inclusion
- How many emperors are there left?
- When will the Microsoft Hololens be affordable?
- Can archaea be an invasive species
- What is the famous hacker movie anyway
- How was the California motto chosen
- How can you create data-driven pages
- Should I buy the Beats Studio3
- Business loans for women
- Does the medical laboratory have a market in Kenya
- What are some Shakespearean short sonnets
- How is PDM University doing
- How do I get started with numerology
- How can I avoid billing errors
- How was the AWS Cloud set up so quickly?
- Is it good to burn sanitary towels?
- Why do intelligent people lack emotions
- What are some sentence examples with precursors