Where is Parkland Florida
A year after the rampage Parkland movement remains misunderstood
Columbine, 1999: 13 dead. Sandy Hook, 2012: 26 dead. Parkland, February 14, 2018: 17 dead. Each of these place names stands for a bloody rampage at an American school. Each of these acts of violence is engraved in the collective memory of the country. Each time there were calls for consequences. But only after parkland these calls do not want to fall silent.
Mourning and mass protest
"Shame on you." - The students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida were 15, 16, 17, 18 years old - their tears became an indictment. And their grief to mass protest. They chanted: "Shame on you." And no longer had their mouths forbidden.
"Shame on you." - In her unforgettable funeral speech, the pupil Emma Gonzales articulated the whole anger of young people who are afraid of everyday gun violence in American schools. After Emma's speech, the call for stricter gun laws doesn’t want to fall silent across the country: "We call BS - bullshit - if you continue to claim that stricter gun laws do not change anything in terms of gun violence."
We'll call BS if you go on saying that only a good guy with a gun can do anything against a bad guy with a gun.
Politicians in the pillory
Funeral marches turned into protest marches in no time at all. Parkland's students organized so-called walk-outs: demonstrations during class. They got on buses and gave their trip to other schools a name: "The Road to change". And they organized the "March for our lives" in Washington. The whole country seemed to be on its feet at that time.
The politicians saw themselves in the pillory because the young people named the sums they received from the NRA, the powerful gun lobby that smeared corrupt politicians and also supported Donald Trump with millions in the election campaign. The president initially promised a remedy, that is, stricter gun laws. Raising the minimum age for gun ownership. A ban on the additional devices that turn semi-automatic weapons into automatic weapons.
President Trump collapses in front of the gun lobby
That was on February 20th last year. On February 21, Trump met with the leadership of the NRA, which then announced: The President speaks out against stricter gun laws. "We had a great meeting," tweeted Trump. And his demand for stricter gun laws became the demand for armament in schools. Specially trained teachers should in future be allowed to carry covert weapons. An old demand from the NRA.
Its boss Wayne Lapierre seemed to set the political agenda: Make schools safer, he demanded.
Makes schools safer, the president seconded word for word.
Hardly any consequences after parkland
A year later, 26 states passed 67 laws to tighten gun law. But at the federal level, the president puts on the brakes - the Republicans always by his side. Trump only passed the ban on so-called bump stocks, which upgrade semi-automatic weapons to automatic fire rifles.
Only the Democrats, with their newly won majority in the House of Representatives, passed a law in January that would raise the minimum age for acquiring firearms and screen every customer before buying a weapon - including on the Internet. According to the general opinion, this law will fail because of the Republican majority in the Senate.
David Hogg, one of the Parkland activists, does not believe that most of the politicians in Congress have already understood what the youth of the Parkland movement are really about with their calls for tougher gun laws.
- What is a pre-trial settlement negotiation
- Why don't diabetic wounds heal
- What does an escalator cost
- What lazy habit improves over time
- What is so spiritual about Ramayana
- Australian rules football is based on rugby
- What do you think of maggots
- Who is the father of the pharmacy
- What is the role of the CRPF
- Why is Aoun now supporting Hezbollah?
- Why do cats get angry?
- What is the best origami
- How do I find owner-financed houses
- Used Arjuna Vajra
- How do I get to MTech via GATE
- Why are you considering Woocommerce CRM integration
- Why are so many British people moving abroad
- Why do traffic lights rarely fail?
- Makes OCD people asexual
- How old is Dora the Explorer
- Is there a cure for Hirayama disease
- Who is considered a cancer survivor
- How do people feel about breast implants?
- Are bananas a fruit flower or an herb?
- What are the nicest websites
- How's the AA3 batch responding
- What is the Greek word for lion
- Why do some people dislike film critics?
- What are some mind-boggling facts about countries
- Which DJs use ghostwriter producers?
- Where can I buy transparent wood
- What is the CPI base year
- Is sales more important than profit