Can you be overweight with muscles
Top 5 sports for obesity
Table of Contents
- Who is overweight from a medical point of view anyway?
- What you should consider before starting sports:
- In the video: 7 effective exercises for a fit body
- Ergometer training
- Strength training
The pounds often come creeping up: after the birth of the children, the wardrobe no longer fits, everyday stress and unhealthy lifestyle make the belly of prosperity continue to grow. According to a recent study, half of Germans are overweight.
Obesity is unfortunately not only a mental and visual problem for those affected, but often leads to tangible health damage: cardiovascular problems, high blood pressure, diabetes and joint problems are just a few of them.
So it is high time to declare war on bacon with a healthy diet and exercise! But in the gym, people who are overweight often do not feel comfortable between the trained size zero fitness mice - especially since many sports also put unnecessary strain on the joints.
"Isn't it possible without exercise if I change my diet?", Many people ask. The Hamburg ecotrophologist Kirsten Sellmer advises obese people who want to lose weight to definitely integrate sport into their weight loss program. Sellmer, who accompanies people on their way to their desired weight, says: "You can certainly lose a few pounds through a calorie-conscious diet and a long-term change in your eating habits, especially if you increase your physical activity in everyday life. With regular exercise, however, I can support my body much better in shedding excess pounds. In addition, exercise is not only helpful for weight loss, but also has a very positive effect on health in general. Sport, for example, can reduce everyday stress. "
Who is overweight from a medical point of view anyway?
The fastest way to estimate weight is to use the body mass index. The value is easy to calculate: body weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. With a BMI of 19 to 25 the weight is in the normal range, with a value over 25 in the range of slightly overweight. "The BMI shouldn't be seen as the only factor," says Kirsten Sellmer; "What matters is the composition of the body and the distribution of fat."
The abdominal circumference gives a good assessment of whether you are endangering your health with the excess pounds, says Kirsten Sellmer: "Belly fat is much more problematic than the fat under the skin or on the hips. Because it is not just a pure energy store, but also produces messenger substances in the body Bodies that promote the development of chronic diseases. "
For women, the waist circumference should not be more than 88 centimeters, there is a slightly increased health risk from 80 centimeters. The waist circumference of men should not be more than 102 centimeters, from 94 centimeters there is a slightly increased health risk.
What you should consider before starting sports:
- Let your family doctor check you out to see if there are any health risks.
- Buy good sports shoes with cushioning soles. If you have a misaligned foot, specially made insoles (orthopedists) protect against incorrect stress on the joints.
- Buy comfortable sportswear in which you feel comfortable and which protect against possible chafing (e.g. leggings).
- Get yourself a nice water bottle so you can remember to drink enough water.
- Find allies! It works better together, and the "bastard" doesn't take over the upper hand so quickly.
- Do not overwhelm yourself! Muscles and stamina need time to build up.
- Don't forget: You won't lose weight just by exercising! Only when you also change your diet does your body begin to change.
In the video: 7 effective exercises for a fit body
Anyone who is more than ten kilos overweight should start with a sport that cushions their own body weight. What could be more suitable than the element water?
With the gentle movements in the cool element, only 10 percent of the body weight is on the joints.
Although you won't break a sweat like doing comparable exercises "on land" is Aqua-fitness highly effective: the whole body works to keep balance in the water. This is how you train the core muscles, which are especially important for burning fat. Sport in the water is twice as strenuous as exercises on dry land - this also saves you time with aqua fitness.
Courses are offered, for example, by sports clubs, fitness studios or the adult education center - certainly near you too!
Many overweight people have developed a real swimming pool phobia; be it because they are already being teased at school, be it because they no longer feel comfortable in their bodies. Give yourself a jolt and overcome your fear of disapproving looks (which are often only imagined)!
Glide weightlessly through the water, train all important muscles and burn fat - swim is a great thing for anyone who wants to lose weight.
Because movement in the water is easy on the joints and challenges all of the body's important muscles. Another advantage: In order to keep the body temperature constant in the water, the body needs additional energy.
Which swimming style you choose is not so important; The main thing is that you have a good command of the technology. Many cities now have swimming lessons for adults where you can refresh your swimming skills or learn a new style.
Our fitness doctor Ingo Froböse has put together some tips for beginners. Or read here how you can swim to your dream figure.
3. Ergometer training
On the Ergometer exercising has several advantages:
- You are independent of wind and weather
- Calorie consumption and pulse rate are controlled
- Your cardiovascular system will be strengthened
For people who are very overweight, a recumbent ergometer is best, where you can sit on a comfortable, wide saddle and lean your back. In this way you can exercise without putting unnecessary strain on your back and loins. If you have already lost a few pounds, you can switch to the normal fitness bike.
The best way to set your target heart rate and training time is with a trained trainer. With its help, you can be sure not to under-challenge yourself or to overdo the training.
Pilates training combines stretching and strengthening exercises with the aim of building a strong body center. Muscles are strengthened and posture is improved. The movements are very concentrated in connection with breathing in order to bring body and mind into harmony.
Pilates is good for everyone. Even overweight people can practice this sport without any problems, as the joints are not excessively stressed. Another great effect: The Pilates training trains body awareness, gives you a better body feeling and thus also self-confidence.
Nobody has to be afraid of becoming exhausted during the exercises: The intensity of the training can be adjusted to suit every fitness level. In this way you will not be overwhelmed, but still achieve a good training effect.
Anyone who does Pilates regularly also learns about body control and coordination; ideal for developing pleasure in other sports.
5. Weight training
Who his Muscles trains and strengthens, can count on good results in losing weight. Put simply, our muscles are comparable to an engine: the more horsepower it has, the more petrol it consumes. Even when idling.
Those who build up muscle mass increase the so-called mitochondria (also called kilns), which supply the muscle cells with energy. In this way, more energy is burned both during sport and in a resting state and you get closer to your dream body goal.
But here, too, the following applies: Do not overdo the training at the beginning. Caution is advised, especially when doing abdominal training, because when you lie on your back, the fat can press heavily on the organs and the diaphragm and make breathing difficult. Exercises in which you stand or sit upright are better.
Also Read: 8 Great Reasons Why You Should Lose Weight Now
- Who is the Greek goddess of animals
- What's your rating of WPX hosting
- Which band sang the song Fake It
- How can I meet Michelle Dilhara
- Christianity advocates racism
- How vegan is the impossible Whopper
- What is form factor
- Killing dating apps long term relationships
- Why shouldn't I sleep in multiple phases?
- What is classroom upside down
- Can anything technically be considered a business?
- When did math test you the most?
- Would robots be better killers than humans?
- What are the best waterproof mascaras
- How Spelman College Scholarships Work
- Are you for animal rights
- What does 2 5 bathrooms mean
- What causes acetylene to explode
- How many people are needed in NGOs
- Why is Belarus so small
- What are milliliters used to measure
- How can a teenager do business in Mongolia?
- Why was John Lennon an atheist
- Is it possible to do telekinesis?