How does red wine help with anxiety
Research proves: red wine component keeps away anxiety, stress and depression
Positive effects of resveratrol on the psyche
When it comes to stress, many people tend to consume more alcohol, and a connection in red wine actually seems to relieve stress, anxiety and depression, according to a recent study. Even if a recommendation for the consumption of red wine cannot be derived from this, the results of the study could definitely result in new treatment approaches.
The latest research from the University at Buffalo found that a compound called resveratrol in red wine can reduce stress and reduce anxiety. The results of the study were published in the English-language journal “Neuropharmacology”.
What is Resveratrol?
The plant compound resveratrol blocks the expression of an enzyme that is related to the control of stress in the brain, explain the researchers. Resveratrol is a compound found in the skin and seeds of grapes and berries. The results of the study now provide information on how resveratrol positively influences neurological processes. This is particularly promising because it could benefit millions of people with depression and anxiety disorders around the world.
How does resveratrol work?
According to the latest study results, resveratrol may be an effective alternative to drugs for the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders. In previous studies, it has been linked to a number of health benefits, with an antidepressant effect being the main focus. The relationship of the compound to phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4), an enzyme that is influenced by the stress hormone corticosterone, was previously unknown, the research team reports. The current study on mice has shown that PDE4, which is induced by excessive amounts of corticosterone, promotes depressive behavior and anxiety. The enzyme lowers a messenger molecule that signals physiological changes such as cell division and leads to physical changes in the brain.
Do we need new drugs for depression?
Corticosterone regulates the body's response to stress. However, too much stress can cause too much of the hormone to circulate in the brain, ultimately leading to depression or other mental disorders. These physiological relationships make drug therapy based on corticosterone extremely complex. Current antidepressants therefore focus on the function of serotonin or norepinephrine in the brain, but only a third of those affected with depression achieve complete remission with these drugs, the researchers report in a press release.
Side effects and addictive potential of alcohol
Resveratrol showed neuroprotective effects against corticosterone by inhibiting the expression of PDE4. Research lays the groundwork for the compound's use in new antidepressants. Although red wine contains resveratrol, the alcohol contained carries numerous health risks and the risk of alcohol addiction, warn the researchers. (as)
You can find more interesting articles on this topic here:
Author and source information
This text complies with the requirements of specialist medical literature, medical guidelines and current studies and has been checked by medical professionals.
- Xia Zhu, Wenhua Li, Yongkun Li, Wenhua Xu, Yirong Yuan et al .: The antidepressant- and anxiolytic-like effects of resveratrol: Involvement of phosphodiesterase-4D inhibition, in Neuropharmacology (accessed: July 29, 2019), Neuropharmacology
- Compound found in red wine opens door for new treatments for depression, anxiety, University at Buffalo (accessed: July 29, 2019), University at Buffalo
This article is for general guidance only and is not intended to be used for self-diagnosis or self-treatment. He can not substitute a visit at the doctor.
- What's the big deal about Dash
- Are car insurance claims publicly known
- What is Madagascar's relative location
- Offer plumbers free estimates
- What do people have against abortion?
- How do I get to the Hunza Valley
- How can you be a better psychopath
- How do I read online books
- Is almond butter healthy?
- Why is Krishna blue
- What are examples of moisture
- Where can I buy E100 ethanol fuel
- Can we book IPL tickets with Paytm
- What is cardiomegaly treatment
- What is a base layer in clothing
- What are some popular local ecommerce platforms
- What is clear consent
- How can I improve this drawing
- Why we need social welfare in India
- What are the advantages of flat organizations
- Who founded Legalzoom?
- Where do I have to go to act
- What is self-induced amnesia
- Which continent is Guam on