How can I multitask efficiently
STOP multitasking - work easier and more effectively
multitasking is the motto of today - especially in the world of work.
What is multitasking? In computing it means: multi-processor operation, multi-program operation.
Human multitasking is translated with: "Carry out several activities at the same time or alternately in short periods of time.“
It looks something like this:
- You are already working on two projects at the same time while the boss is already stocking you up with new tasks.
- You are on the phone while reading new emails.
- You are trying to finish work on time - to buy something for dinner on the way home - while your cell phone is already alerting you to new instant messages and e-mails. Or an employee who is still short what wants from you.
Thanks to the latest technology, we are bombarded more and more with information. Our time is being consumed more and more. This eventually leads to more and more stress.
That's why GTD (Getting Things Done) is so popular. It is a self-management method developed by David Allen. A system for quick decisions should bring order to the chaos of your tasks.
But despite GTD, we are often overwhelmed by the multitude of tasks - the system falls apart.
There are plenty of articles on the Internet on how to multitask effectively.
However, this article describes how to avoid multitasking; how to work as simply as possible and still be effective.
Why you should avoid multitasking
1. Multitasking is less efficient. Your brain has to constantly flip switches and switch back and forth between tasks. That costs concentration and time.
2. Multitasking is more complicated and leads to more stress and mistakes.
3. Multitasking can make you "crazy". And especially in the already chaotic world, we need more reason and serenity.
Tips to avoid multitasking
1. Write to-do lists for all areas: work, computers, calls, errands, housework, waiting list, ...
2. Get a small notebook, for quick notes in between.
3. Separate regular mail from email. Use two in-folders: one for letter mail and one for digital mail.
4. Plan the day in blocks, with open blocks in each case in case urgent tasks come up. Depending on your work, you can try 30 or 60 minute blocks. Or 40 minute blocks, each with 20 minutes open block in between, for different tasks.
5. Work on your most important task first thing in the morning. Don't do anything else until this task is done. Then give yourself a short break and then move on to the next important task. If you're doing 2 or 3 of the most important tasks in the morning, the rest of the day is pretty relaxed.
6. Keep distraction away. If you are working on a task and give yourself a block of 40 minutes, turn off all distractions: close your e-mail program, internet browser. Turn off your cell phone or mute it. If possible, don't take calls. Concentrate fully on your current task and try to complete it without thinking about the other tasks.
7. When you feel the urgeto check emails quickly or to work on another task: slow down. Pause Breathe calmly and deeply. Concentrate on breathing for a few breaths. Then continue working on your current task.
8. In case other tasks come inwhile you're busy: put them in the Inbox or write a quick note. Then go back to your task.
9. Whenever you've finished a task, edit your inbox and notes. Add tasks to your to-do lists and change your schedule if necessary. Edit your inbox at regular and fixed intervals.
10. Sometimes an interruption is so urgentthat you can't just put it off. In such a case, make a written note of the point at which you are on your current task. Then put all your documents and notes in a folder and set it aside. When you go back to this task later, all you have to do is grab the folder, read your note and you will know where to go from here on this task.
11. Take regular breaks. Stretch and stretch yourself. Take deep breaths. Go out into nature. Enjoy life. Be thankful. Keep yourself sane.
Last updated on March 16, 2021 / Affiliate Links / Images from the Amazon Product Advertising API
- How is the graphical user interface implemented in the software
- How do peroxisomes interact with other organelles
- Variations of SVM
- Very thin people can have powerful voices
- Are Gujaratis pure vegetarians
- Who was the first Prince of Wales
- When and why would you say vulgarities
- What is special about Thug Life
- Is Justin Trudeau two across
- Apple is losing popularity
- Make skateboarders better surfers
- What is Data Com in sales
- Is it okay to kill stray dogs
- Theresa May is Margaret Thatcher in reverse
- Are women with PCOD affected by hirsutism?
- This is how the ATM works
- When did The Doors make it big?
- When was the Kuomintang founded?
- How did Chamarajanagar get its name
- How does the prepaid taxi service work
- What do Europeans think of Eurosceptic politicians?
- Is CMA tough in the US
- Should i kiss my girlfriend?
- Is Cotopaxi open for climbing in 2017