Why is a stone stuck
New novel by Heinrich Steinfest: "The Chauffeur"
"Der Allesforscher", "Die Büglerin" and now "Der Chauffeur" - you might think that the Austrian Heinrich Steinfest had a weakness for different professions.
by Katja Weise
At least that is what the titles of some of his novels suggest. As for the genre, it is not fixed. The only thing that is clear is that his steadily growing work includes a number of excellent crime novels - including those about the one-armed private detective Markus Cheng.
It's strange, but strange - as readers of Heinrich Steinfest know - there is a lot in his novels. The name of the man who has been driving an important politician through the area for years is Paul Klee of all people.
Challenges to the readers
I found that very inconvenient, because we normally associate Paul Klee with a well-known graphic artist and painter, but this story takes place in our time. I would have always thought it was an awkward name, but I can't help it, the author confesses.
In this way, Heinrich Steinfest repeatedly challenges himself, inventing hooks and a couple of eyelets around which he stretches his story threads in a virtuoso and adventurous way. In any case, Paul Klee is marked by the experience of a serious car accident in which a child was killed. You can see that in him.
It was like a series of cracks running through a cracked pane. Maybe both: restriction and reinforcement. Like the famous work of art by Marcel Duchamp entitled "The Great Glass", which is a painted, two-part glass plate that broke when it was transported back from an exhibition. There is no question that this surrealistic object works much better with its cracks, i.e. its flaws, than without it. Reading sample
Suffering from guilt
Klee is not directly to blame for this. If, however, instead of saving his employer, he had first looked after the child in the neighboring car, the boy could still be alive. It is these irresolvable dilemmas that play a central role in almost all of Heinrich Steinfest's books.
"It's something that happened to me in my own life, and I think it's something that everyone knows in one form or another: this, not having saved someone, not being there at the right moment to feel something as guilty. We also feel guilty with things where this guilt is not assigned to us, "explains Steinfest.
A fresh start as a hotelier
In any case, the chauffeur is forced to give up his job. Right in the first chapter. After that, things continue at breakneck speed: Klee founds a small, fine hotel, partner in the new job and in life becomes the real estate agent who brokered the house for him.
Everything goes well for a while. Then a guest disappears under mysterious circumstances, a former detective investigating unsolved cases, and Sputnik II, shot into space by the Russians over sixty years ago, with the dog Laika on board, lands in a meadow near the hotel . Including bitch.
The storyteller Steinfest is only moderately interested in the laws of probability, he spins his stories thread by thread and, surprisingly, somehow keeps track of things. You have to like that, sometimes it's a lot, but the (black) humor of Steinfest, the desire for oddities helps.
Black humor with a sense of the strange
The scene in which the ex-chauffeur risks his life because one of these bicycle trailers, which are often used as a pram, has rolled into a river, is just as shocking as it is funny.
His right arm grabbed the air flowing over the surface of the water, as if to pull himself up there on an invisible hook. Perhaps you can say it would have been easier to get a child out of the car than to pull the whole vehicle back on land. But a look inside confirms the fact that there was no human or animal in it. But a bag. A ladies handbag. Pink leather. Reading sample
This is pure stone festival. There is a whole lot of that in this novel, which is bursting with stories, but with all the whimsical pleasure never loses its tragic foundation.
- Page number:
- 368 pages
- Publishing company:
- Order number:
- 22,00 €
This topic in the program:
NDR culture | New books | 11/11/2020 | 12:40 p.m.
- What was your favorite movie in 2017
- How much can you earn from farming?
- Can people develop super powers
- Where is Home Depot's headquarters located
- What is the definition of technical wetlands
- Is religion an illusion to be true?
- In what century did Gurukul begin
- What is the name of the verb with ing
- How do I create a new currency
- Are ATM cards waterproof
- Salt decomposes plastic
- What happened to the Russian Jews
- What is 14 in binary representation
- Retirement is a big unknown
- Is medicine necessary Are there alternative treatments?
- Henry VII was ever a traitor
- How safe are smart plugs with WiFi connection
- Do you like nuts
- How do these YouTube MP3 websites work
- Where did Turkish tea come from?
- What did you learn from cricket
- Why isn't Russia in the 2018 Olympics?
- What is the currency in the Congo
- Who is the President of AIIB
- How many degrees of latitude are there
- What is Billy Eckstine famous for?
- Who needs to retire from the NBA
- Which cheese goes well with oranges?
- Why is obsidian so dense
- What happens after rooting an iPhone
- Which is the best bcaa
- What is compressor crankcase
- How is Bharati Vidyapeeth for electrical engineering
- How many songs has RHCP released