Who is considered a cancer survivor
Many cancer survivors have PTSD
KUALA LUMPUR. The "post-traumatic stress symptom" (PTSD) is known as the result of traumatic experiences such as violent crimes, natural disasters or serious accidents. The results of a recent study by the National University of Malaysia now show that around one in five cancer patients develops it a few months after diagnosis - and continues to suffer from it years later.
The results of this study have now been published for the first time in the online magazine "CANCER" of the "American Cancer Society".
The team around Dr. Caryn Mei HsienChan examined 469 adults with various cancers one month after diagnosis, an additional six months afterwards and finally again after four years.
After six months, almost 22 percent of the study participants developed a PTSD. Four years later, six percent continued to suffer from it. Breast cancer patients developed 3.7 times less PTSD than patients with any other type of cancer after six months. But after four years there was no difference. The study authors identified existing programs for the care and counseling of breast cancer patients in the first year after diagnosis as a possible reason for this.
"Many cancer patients believe they need to adopt a fighting stance and be positive and optimistic to improve their chances of fighting cancer," said Dr. Chan. Many of these patients feel that the request for emotional help is an expression of weakness. In fact, they need a greater awareness that there is nothing wrong with accepting help in dealing with the emotional consequences of their cancer.
In their study, the scientists found that many patients lived with the fear that the cancer might return. With every pain, fever, or bout of fatigue, they feared they would have cancer again. Cancer survivors also avoided visits to the oncologist to prevent memories of previous cancers from being triggered.
"We need psychological evaluation and offers of help for cancer patients in the early stages and beyond," said Dr. Chand. Mental well-being is just as important as physical health. (eb)
- Is religion an illusion to be true?
- What does ESD stand for in shipping
- How does SugarCRM compare to Salesforce overall?
- What is guest blogging in SEO
- Who is the owner of Vogue
- Feminism is just a western concept
- What are some Indian good luck charms
- PayPal will email me
- What cables come with the Nintendo switch
- What are some visually stunning data visualizations
- Why do I have crazy dreams
- When does the quantum wave function collapse
- What's your job in robotics
- How did people die
- Can your hair turn red by accident?
- What is a username on Unacademy
- What is the formula for cesium bromide
- How big is the Chinese Navy
- Where is the brain located
- What screams I'm ashamed
- What were Nikola Tesla's contributions to mathematics
- Linear regression can be used for classification
- Which is better Mozilla or Google Chrome
- Do some kind of cardio
- Is anyone at MIT bad at computers?
- What kind of doctor can diagnose aphasia
- How do I lock a deleted iPhone?
- Who is now absent-minded Why
- Is it still worth buying the Korg AX300G
- Umbit is a mineral
- In Italian, where is Boh from
- Science How is a thermocouple calibrated
- How did you finally forgive your ex
- What is a flat file CMS