How do I exit Emacs
7. The editor vi
Next:8. Etiquette Up:Bridging course in computer science at the BerlinSkript Previous:6. The Emacs editor
It is loved and hated among computer scientists. For the loving, the purists, it is considered to be one of the most powerful tools of all, available everywhere, stable like nothing else, and anyone who can use it is simply part of it, at least in certain circles, in others you are avoided. It is hated because it is impossible to learn how to operate it without making a pact with the devil. Written in 1973, almost thirty years old, it lacks any graphical user guidance. Menus or even the mouse are unknown to him. Each input is made using key combinations that are so cryptic that even acquiring a basic knowledge of Malay languages seems like child's play. Enough polemics. Where does the motivation come from to deal with it anyway?
- As I said: is available everywhere. It is part of the Unix standard equipment. This means that if no other editor is installed, you will have to switch to that. System administrators in particular cannot avoid it.
- is really very powerful. If you don't shy away from studying the countless introductions for months and have destroyed various work with a lot of trial and error, you will at some point be able to make the most complex changes in your program sources with a single command. (During the time of acquiring knowledge, however, you are not allowed to do anything else, especially not use any other programs or talk to people, otherwise a phenomenon occurs that I would like to call cognitive interference.)
- If one takes place(vi improved) used, you have a little more comfort.
- The main argument for dealing with is that it can easily happen to start it all at once and not find out anymore. This is because some programs use the text editor by default. These include, and. This can sometimes be changed by setting the environment variable.
The most important thing to know about using is to know how to exit, both with and without saving any changes to a file. But first about the call:vi filename (s) With line number the cursor will be right on the line line number positioned. Instead can of course also be called.
It has two different modes commandmode and the Insertmode. After the start you are in command mode. What is entered here is interpreted as a command, not as text. That is certainly very unusual. In most editors you can start entering text right away. With (insert) change to insert mode. Now you can write, but e.g. not wander around in the text with the cursor keys. You can return to command mode with. The most important commands are:
|Change to insert mode|
|Insert line below|
|Insert line above|
|Save the file|
|Exit the (only after saving)|
|Save and exit the|
|Exit without saving|
|delete a line|
|Delete the rest of the line|
|Delete word on the right|
|Delete word on the left|
|Search for search|
|Repeat the last search|
|Replace throughout the text xxx by yyy|
|n||Go to line n|
Since this introduction is far from exhaustive, here are a few references to vi introductions and references:
Next:8. Etiquette Up:Bridging course in computer science at BerlinSkript Previous:6. The editor Emacs Author: [email protected]
- What is site maintenance
- Are fast food eggs real?
- Let our civilization be extinct
- Why not a lot of people on Google+
- What treatment is best for stomach ulcers
- What does it mean to name Christians from Kerala
- The old Turks were enemies of the old Uighurs
- Why shouldn't we talk to strangers?
- How to change JPG to PDF
- What is radiation How is it generated?
- Why is marijuana not a gateway drug
- Affirmations can be created without the use of language
- Satellite phones are smartphones
- What is a pass band
- Limburgish is closer to Dutch or German
- What are your unpopular opinions about guitar pedals
- How did Gujaratis plundered India
- Christmas trees can kill cats
- How do you register with IPTV Smarters
- What exactly is a vote of confidence
- What does it mean to get porcelain veneer
- How can i make 4k wallpaper
- What does size mean to you
- What is Spathology
- Are people aware of their true selves
- Which are the famous marketplaces of Lucknow
- Girls like to have big breasts
- What is regolith science
- How is Picasa for business use
- Why do people hate JavaFX
- How will Yammer outsmart Jive Software
- Which was the book written by Zoroaster
- Do stepfathers respect the biological father