1 9 is an integer
Reading time: 5 min
Subtracting two natural numbers can result in a number smaller than:
The result is always a negative number if the subtrahend is greater than the minuend.
For example, the result is that this is a negative integer. This number does not belong to the natural numbers as they are all positive. Therefore we introduce a new set of numbers, which we call the whole numbers call.
The whole numbers are necessary because the natural numbers cannot represent negative values.
Negative values (i.e. values less than) are required in everyday life, for example, for: Altitudes, temperatures, account balances, etc.
By the way, the word “negative” here means “opposite” (the opposite of the positive numbers).
The whole numbers are the natural numbers and their inverse, including the number zero. “Inverse” means that all natural numbers are given a minus (negative sign).
The formula sign of the whole numbers is and the amount is written down as:
The enumeration of the numbers can be continued as long as you like in both directions. Every whole number always has a predecessor (with) and a successor (with). So there are infinitely many whole numbers.
If we look at the predecessors, we go in the direction of minus infinity (). When we consider the successors, we are going towards plus infinity ().
The natural numbers are considered a subset of the whole numbers, we write.
We use the symbol ∈ to represent belonging to a set and the symbol ∉ to express that the element does not belong to a set. Examples:
("5 is an element of the whole numbers")
("-77 is an element of the whole numbers")
("0.5 is not an element of the whole numbers")
There are other number ranges that include allow a division that leaves a remainder. Compare this with rational numbers.
For further reading:
- History of negative numbers
- Negative numbers in everyday life
- How do I create such photos
- How fulfilling is your everyday life
- Who are animists
- Our brain has always dreamed
- What is the lightest silver color
- How to calculate the inertia force
- Where can I get an Oman certificate
- How can someone have an imperious presence
- What does bell number mean
- How can I train myself in cybersecurity
- What is Pirkei Avot
- Heat rises from the ground
- What is water vapor max temperature
- In which environments do bacteria live
- What are examples of moisture
- Why is newspaper used as packaging
- What is a Program Management Analyst
- Are PGs safe in Satyaniketan
- Can alcohol be found in Yemen
- What causes dark urine to sweat excessively
- 98 70 is a good blood pressure
- You can multiply x 98 x 5
- Teaching can be a psychological risk
- Why is reading fun?