What is the size of 1 bacteria
Worksheet 1c: - How small / big are viruses?
Viruses: 15 to 400 nm (nanometers)
Bacteria: 0.3 to 1 µm (micrometers)
Human: 1.5 to 2 m (meters)
Small number prefixes:
10 -3 10 -6 10 -9 10 -12 10 -15
Milli- (m) micro- (µ) nano- (n) pico- (p) femto- (f)
400 nm = 0.4 µm
The largest viruses are as big as the smallest bacteria.
Most bacteria can be made visible with a light microscope. The resolution of the light microscope is not sufficient for viruses and very small bacteria. You need an electron microscope.
Resolving power of the human eye: 0.02 mm or 20 µm
I.e. if two lines are 0.02 mm apart, then we can just recognize them as two lines; when they are closer together we see them as a line.
Look at a ruler or graph paper. The smallest division is millimeters, one millimeter is 1000 µm or 50 by 20 µm. So imagine if a millimeter were again divided into 50 graduation lines. Our eyes are so good that they could still tell two lines apart.
- Measure the item handed out so that you can easily see it with the eye. Imagine a virus that size, can you imagine how big you would be in relation to that?
- Since it's hard to estimate, try to figure it out.
Example of a ratio calculation: someone is 2 meters tall, his pencil is 10 cm long. If the pencil were 1 meter long, the person would be proportionally 20 meters tall. Note the different units (nm, cm, mm, m)!
Use the back for your invoice and write down your result here:
- How do you keep yourself from worrying
- How does sleep deprivation affect your thoughts
- Am I fit to climb Mount Everest?
- What Ubuntu software will run on FreeBSD
- Has Singapore bounty hunters
- Why are my parents so angry
- What is Johnny Burnette's most successful song
- What are OFX plugins
- Investing in Bharat Electronics Ltd is fruitful
- Have you ever loved someone the most
- What are soft metals
- How do mobile newspaper applications work
- What both exists and what does not exist
- How often should Christians have fellowship?
- WhatsApp calls are charged
- What are different types of acl
- Does a pen work when not in use
- Speaks Ghana Swahili
- Is the Prevagen Memory Supplement actually effective
- What are the benefits of ccie
- Death is preferable to medical torture
- Hang gliding is prohibited in Karnataka
- Theresa May is Margaret Thatcher in reverse
- How can I open a blocked mind?