What was the name of Pavlov's dog
Pavlov's experiments: how does learning work in dogs?
Ivan Petrovich Pavlov laid the foundation for many learning theories. The Russian doctor and scientist carried out experiments with dogs and observed how their behavior can be evoked by certain stimuli. He demonstrated the so-called classic conditioning with the series of experiments, which is known for short under the name "Pawloscher dog".
Originally, Pavlov, who carried out experiments as a professor at the Military Medical Academy in Saint Petersburg, wanted to investigate the connection between salivation and digestion in dogs. But during this work he came across another interesting aspect. The test dogs received their meals regularly from animal keepers. After a while the sounds of the approaching zookeepers alone caused the dogs to salivate, even though there was no food in sight.
Can behavior be trained to respond to certain stimuli?
The salivation that occurs in the dogs at the mere noise perception of the guards bringing the food was the origin of Pavlov's learning theory, classical conditioning.
Pavlov concluded from the behavior of the dogs that behavior must be a reaction to stimuli from the outside world. But he had to prove that first. The Pavlovian Dog experiment served him as evidence:
When Pavlov gave the dog food, it made the dog salivate. He called the food the unconditioned stimulus, which was followed by an unconditioned response. The unconditioned response was salivation. Unconditioned in this case means that the stimulus and the reaction happen involuntarily: The dog is hungry, which is why his mouth watered at the sight of the food.
Pavlov added a neutral stimulus to this stimulus-reaction constellation. Neutral because it basically has nothing to do with feeding. The neutral stimulus was the ringing of a bell just before feeding. This bell did not cause saliva to flow, it just made the dog prick up its ears. The dog did not initially associate the bell with the food. But after several connections between ringing the bell and the subsequent feeding, the dog's behavior changed. Now the salivation started already when the bell rang and the food was not yet within reach. Pavlov called this reaction a conditioned, that is, a learned reaction. The neutral stimulus, the ringing of the bell, thus became a conditioned stimulus. The dog has learned that the sound of the bell is related to the food, which is why the saliva was already running when it sounded.
What does classical conditioning mean?
Pavlov called the process of this learned behavior classical conditioning. The classic conditioning, the learned connection between a once neutral stimulus and an unconditioned stimulus, could be deleted again in the case of Pavlov's dog. After the bell rang several times without feeding, it also stopped salivating. That is, the conditioned stimulus, the ringing of the bell, became a neutral stimulus again.
Basis of many learning theories
Classical conditioning is the basis of many learning theories. With the help of the principles of classical Pavlov conditioning, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder can be treated, among other things. For example, conditioned fears in connection with traumatic experiences can usually no longer be erased. For example, war veterans who were tortured during a shootout will wince at the same noises on television even years later. This means that the complete deletion of a classical conditioning is almost impossible, depending on the experiment or experience.
You can find even more exciting information in WAS IST WAS Volume 11 Dogs. Heroes on 4 paws
- Alon Amit knows everything about math
- You can create a website with Scratch
- How do materials like lead absorb radiation
- What causes someone to be rebellious
- How are you different from your sister
- What is the best source for personality development
- How many people ask about retro
- What is famous website for Shayari Ghazal
- What is an example of a shell script
- Does the law of nature rule human behavior
- Are infrasound and paranormal activity linked?
- Tupac was depressed
- Why do high school business classes suck
- What a band is Rise Against
- Why can hardware work without software
- What are some halloween dresses 1
- Achilles was a demigod
- Why is it important to teach vocabulary
- Is it still worth buying the Korg AX300G
- What are cool names for psychology blogs
- What is the destruction of volcanoes
- How are men in the hobbit
- What are annatto seeds used for?
- Dissolves silicon dioxide
- How does the chain rule work in derivatives
- What was known about Majd al Assad
- Why does coal still get subsidies?
- How can I write a sociopathic character
- What is your sleep cycle
- Which rock band was the most harmonious
- Has Bitcoin crashed? It’s falling today
- What is xy + xy Boolean algebra
- Should I buy computers on eBay?
- What was served in the Microsoft cafeteria today