IMessage has an API
Use iMessage with Android, Mac as server
In the future, Android users will also be able to communicate with iOS users via “iMessage”. This is the promise of the open source project “PieMessage”, which, however, is far from finished.
Prototype of Android iMessage app
The developer Eric Chee has published a video of his Android app PieMessage on YouTube. The software is still under development, but Chee did not want to withhold a working prototype from the world.
The following video shows how PieMessage works in three minutes. The source code of the app has been made available via GitHub.
At this point you will find external content from YouTube that supplements the article. You can display it and hide it again with one click.
Mac required for PieMessage
The software PieMessage However, it is not suitable for everyone, because a Mac is absolutely necessary. Why? The Android app sends the short message to a Macintosh computer with the messaging app in the same network so that it can be forwarded to the appropriate recipient.
In addition to software for Android and OS X, there are other components for PieMessage. In addition to a Java web server, this is an Apple script called "messages.applescript". This file in particular takes on the task of distributing the messages to both the smartphone and the Mac.
Eric Chee explains in the "Readme" introduction on Github that PieMessage would in principle allow other uses. The software uses its own API, which would allow developers to use iMessage via a web app, for example, or to develop software for Windows.
Not the first app
There have been a few apps in the past that gave users the ability to send messages through Apple's messaging gateway. One or the biggest difference between PieMessage and previous apps is that the software uses Apple's messaging app and thus Apple's official servers. Previously there was already similar software that relied on proprietary servers for forwarding messages via “iMessage”, which were operated by the providers themselves outside of Apple's network. The concerns about the security of sending messages were correspondingly high.
- What is the greatest hypocrisy in Canada
- Can chickens eat dry cat food
- Does the medical laboratory have a market in Kenya
- Quantum radar is based on which technology
- What is a conservative radio
- What is a cost classification in a department
- What is antivirus software compared to malware
- Investing in Bharat Electronics Ltd is fruitful
- What is React Redux used for?
- How old is Dora the Explorer
- What is a gateway account
- Why are we taught pi over dew
- Whose NBA career was better
- Is Plato's cave still relevant today
- Why can't we replace switches with routers?
- What is the best Swift Unit Testing Framework
- How many pizza chains are there
- Has the universe ever made a mistake before
- Should I install iOS 12?
- What is Brexit and its effects
- Should arson be decriminalized
- Like this Laprek
- Will Iran achieve regional hegemony?
- Infrastructure Why are there several traffic lights
- How is superwash wool made
- How well INTPs can remember faces
- Can I unscrew a full Sodastream refill?
- How good is Amari Cooper
- Which flavors go best with matcha
- Why do people like Burzum
- How do you feel about human trafficking?
- How do I get a gun