Is the shell of this cheese edible?

When can you eat the cheese rind?

Unless it is stated on the packaging that the cheese rind is made of plastic or that it has been treated with the antibiotic natamycin (E 235), you can eat it with you. Then the rind is created through the natural ripening process of the cheese and is basically edible.

Exceptions apply to pregnant women, the elderly, small children and people with a weakened immune system. As a precaution, you shouldn't eat the bark. During the ripening process, so-called listeria can form on the rind of hard or soft cheese. However, these bacteria generally do not mind healthy adults.

So that a rind forms, cheeses are partly sprinkled with salt and placed in a salt bath. Soft cheese only rests in it for about half an hour, hard cheese for up to three days. The salt removes water from the cheese, making the rind firmer and the cheese more durable. In addition, the cheese only gets its desired aroma through this treatment.

During the ripening process under special climatic conditions in the ripening cellar, water evaporates on the surface of the cheese and the rind becomes thicker. The cheese wheels are regularly turned, washed and brushed. For a particularly hard crust, the cheese can be rubbed repeatedly with brine. The soft rind of camembert, brie or blue cheese, on the other hand, consists of noble mold. You can also eat these without hesitation.