Great mathematicians would also make great artists
Mathematics: Mathematical formulas stimulate the sense of art
Mathematical formulas can be complicated, useful or ingenious - but beautiful? For the participants in a study at University College London, it was: The 15 mathematicians found many of the equations presented to them to be highly aesthetic. The sight of them activated an area in their brain that is known to respond to artistically or musically imagined stimuli.
Mathematicians rated the beauty of formulas
A research team led by Semir Zeki presented the math cracks with 60 familiar equations and had them evaluate the beauty of the formulas. Two weeks later, the researchers used functional magnetic resonance imaging to record the brain activity of the participants while they looked at the formulas again.
Formulas and art activate the same area of the brain
Equations that were particularly well received now triggered greater activation in the medial orbitofrontal cortex than less appealing formulas. In previous experiments, this brain region was already agitated more strongly in the face of beautiful art or music.
The equations were of different lengths and clear. Apparently mathematicians found the equations particularly beautiful, which represent a complicated relationship in an astonishingly simple form, such as Euler's formula (see illustration). Less economical formulas like the equation of Srinivasa Ramanujan, however, performed worse.
- Which tent is best for a family
- What is meant by democracy and republic?
- With the takeover of Facebook, WhatsApp remains free
- Everything has its own gravity
- What are your favorite French audio podcasts
- What causes homesickness
- Where can I buy E100 ethanol fuel
- Can someone do my psychological readings
- Broadway actors can have tattoos
- What is the average salary in mrpl
- Is the American electorate able to think?
- Why does whiskey taste better with water?
- Is it possible to do room navigation
- How strong is your parent's relationship
- How does medicine explain Trailanga to Swami
- Why do I always dream of rejection
- Killing seat belts
- How much does web pay per hour
- Have you ever heard of geocaching?
- How do I calm my angry wife
- Infinity can be negative
- What is the biggest challenge in drawing caricatures
- When was the 1 rupee note banned?
- What are isochores