Use Google developer Chrome OS
Google launches developer portal for ChromeOS
Developers who create apps for ChromeOS can find a central point of contact in ChromeOS.dev. The website provides information, documentation, code samples, announcements and links to tools related to development for Google's operating system. The site is currently available in English and Spanish, with more languages to follow.
According to the site launch announcement, Chromebook sales in the US from March to June 2020 were 127 percent higher than the same period last year, while sales of the rest of the notebooks rose 40 percent that year.
Development for and on ChromeOS
The page aims at the three different ways of bringing applications to ChromeOS devices: the platforms Android, Linux and web apps are meant. Google's operating system not only serves as a target platform, but the site brings resources for developers who create their applications on Chromebooks.
The official development tool Android Studio has been running on Chrome OS since version 3.5. In addition, the ChromeOS.dev site recommends the cross-platform framework Flutter, also from Google, which recently appeared in version 1.20. Android apps have officially run on ChromeOS since 2016, but the site is also aimed at developers who create applications for Android phones or tablets on Chromebooks using the separate Android emulator for testing.
With Crostini, developers can use Linux applications on ChromeOS. Anyone using the system, which is officially designated as Linux (Beta), will find a flexibly adaptable terminal window that can manage individual sessions via tabs and separate windows.
Among other things, web developers can find information on developing Progressive Web Apps (PWA) on the portal. Most of the IDEs such as Visual Studio Code that are available for Linux can be used as tools - Crostini is based on Debian.
Further details can be found in the official announcement on the ChromeOS.dev page.
(rme)Read comments (13) Go to homepage
Mondays and Thursdays - everything from heise Developer
You can find detailed information on the dispatch procedure and your cancellation options in our data protection declaration.
- How much damage can anthrax cause
- Why does arbitrage occur
- How do I exit Emacs
- Does 5 sqrt 3 3 sqrt 5
- What is an academic background
- Can a US president say hello to his generals?
- Why are there so many forest fires
- What is better programming or animation
- Why did Indians wear fringed leather?
- Who is Jennifer Lawrence from currently
- Could the Me262 break the sound barrier
- Which type of steel is more durable
- What is italian food
- How would Karl Marx think of Quora?
- Do you think Mike Shinoda is underestimated?
- Why is Ruth Bader Ginsberg hiding
- What will the Intel graphics card look like?
- How do animals deal with menstrual pain
- Is spondylitis curable by acupuncture
- What is the best promotional product for healthcare
- Why did Stalin adopt Marxism?
- How does Hillary Clinton dress
- Salesforce developers actually write code
- Should Canada buy a Caribbean island