What kind of socket is that
Connect the socket
Connecting a socket is anything but rocket science and can even be done by do-it-yourselfers if you strictly adhere to the safety regulations. However, you have to know that working on the electrical installation is actually taboo for laypersons! This is what Paragraph 13 of the “Low Voltage Connection Ordinance” says. This prohibition applies to all electrical systems in the house. Sockets are actually not allowed to be installed or exchanged yourself, although sockets are freely available in stores. The dealers protect themselves with appropriate warning notices.
Not all sockets are the same
Sockets differ not only in their design but also in their designs. A basic distinction is made between flush-mounted and surface-mounted versions. Flush-mounted sockets are for installation. Surface-mounted sockets are attached to the wall. In addition to the basic distinction, the most common versions are:
- Double sockets
- Sockets with hinged covers for installation near water (bathroom, kitchen, balcony or terrace)
- Socket with integrated residual current circuit breaker
- Sockets with integrated personal protection switch (bathroom or children's room)
- Sockets with integrated surge protection (computer connection)
Find an electrician
- Nationwide network
- Qualified providers
It is essential to observe: Safety rules for electrical installation!
Electric current is extremely dangerous and can be fatal. Therefore:
- Before working on electrical devices, pull out the power plug.
- Always switch off the power before installation work. Switch off the fuse belonging to the relevant circuit.
- Attach the information label to the fuse box to prevent the fuse from being accidentally switched on again.
- Check whether the system in question is de-energized.
- Hands off house connections as well as sealed meters and main fuses!
- Only carry out electrical work for which specialist knowledge is available!
- Do not use, disconnect or remove the protective conductor for other functions.
- Check the protective conductor function after the work is finished!
Connection of a socket
As a rule, a three-wire cable is available for connecting a socket. The color coding is usually black for the live conductor, blue for the neutral conductor and green-yellow for the protective conductor.
If necessary, strip the cable around five centimeters with a cable knife. Be careful: do not damage the insulation of the internal conductors! Use the wire stripper to strip the wires by around three millimeters.
The cable usually carries wires with the color coding black, blue and green-yellow. As a rule, only the connection terminal for the protective contact has an identifier with the symbol. The protective conductor (green-yellow wire) must be connected here.
The connection of the live black wire and the neutral wire, blue wire, is made to the remaining terminals. The stripped ends are screwed to the socket or plugged into the corresponding clamping devices, depending on the version.
Have tools and materials ready
The do-it-yourselfer needs the following tools and materials to connect a socket:
- Duspol (voltage tester)
- suitable screwdriver for fastening and connecting the socket
- Stripping knife
- Side cutter
- Wire stripper
Find an electrician
Tip: Register for the newsletter now
Receive the most important news monthly and free of charge directly in your mailbox
- There is black magic in Lesotho
- What is your coping mechanism 3
- How can I wear Vans high tops?
- Recommend steroids
- Is organic chemistry good or biotechnology
- Where does Chicago Beach Sand come from
- Clear dreams are love from God
- Who will win the Rajasthan state election
- Are Apple HomeKit devices compatible with Siri?
- How can the coast erosion be stopped?
- How old is Burger King
- What's next after technology
- What is half of frac 20 2
- How does Y Combinator earn profit
- Like Christians country music
- Why cannot natural disasters be predicted
- When do teenagers start to mature?
- How talented was Elvis
- What is vacuum distillation
- What is a constant volume pressure ratio
- What are Persian manners and etiquette
- The medical field is tough
- What is a dotard
- Can gravity be massless
- Is Aamir Khan an alcoholic
- What are split inversions
- Which products contain sodium polyacrylate
- MH370 found its way to Antarctica
- Who were the first residents of Japan
- Plastic water bottles can be frozen
- What is Unsecured Business Loans
- No metals at the moment
- The chemo brain is permanent