What allows the FTC to impose fines?
USA: Million fine for usury concert tickets with bots
The FTC has fined three companies - Cartisim Corp., Just In Time Tickets, Inc., and Concert Specials, Inc. - a total of $ 3.7 million in fines as part of an out-of-court settlement. Actually, up to almost 32 million dollars were in the room during the process, but apparently the companies would not have been able to pay this fine. In addition, within the framework of further requirements, they must prove through documentation that they will from now on comply with the law.
The companies were accused of having bought over 150,000 tickets over the past four years using scripts and then reselling them to their own customers at overpriced rates. The bottom line is sales of $ 26.1 million.
Ticket BOTS prohibited
The procedure was a violation of the BOTS law from 2016 (Better Online Ticket Sales), which forbids buying tickets en masse using software and thus circumventing order volume restrictions. It is the first time that the BOTS law has been applied.
Andrew Smith, the FTC's consumer protection director, said, "Not only does such an approach make it impossible for loyal fans to see their favorite artists and their shows, it is also against the law." A judge still has to agree to the settlement.
The FTC complaint does not reveal which concerts and events were involved. However, it does mention various sporting events and concerts by Elton John.
(bkr)Read comments (52) Go to the homepage
Don't miss any news! Every morning the fresh news overview from heise online
You can find detailed information on the dispatch procedure and your cancellation options in our data protection declaration.
- Does CBD have any mental effects
- Who discovered Bitcoin or crypto currency
- What incident put your core values to the test?
- How do I lock a deleted iPhone?
- Modi only focuses on foreign policy
- Why has Facebook not yet held a public listing
- How can I reset a Kyocera printer
- How do you end up in a wingsuit
- Henry VII was ever a traitor
- Have you ever loved someone the most
- What's your rating of Crazy Egg
- What is EMR usually made of
- What chemicals should I avoid in shampoos?
- Why didn't my relationship last forever
- Some chillies are poisonous
- How do I prevent genetic disabilities
- What are the characteristics of Goetic demons
- Where can you buy Hanes t-shirts
- Do you regret studying philosophy at university?
- Good startup friendly patent attorneys in Mumbai
- What is Brazzers
- People actually want more and more strength
- Where can I get good book reviews
- What is the chapel's parallel programming language