Medication may make it difficult to breathe
Asthma - treatment with cortisone spray
What is cortisone?
Cortisone is a substance that the body makes by itself. For example, it influences the body's own immune system and can inhibit inflammation. Cortisone as a medicine is manufactured artificially. The correct name is "glucocorticoid". Experts also often use the word "corticosteroid". For the sake of simplicity, you will always find the term "cortisone" here.
Why is Cortisone Spray Important?
In asthma, the airways are inflamed. If the symptoms persist, experts recommend a cortisone spray as the first permanent medication. It works against the inflammation and thus against the cause of the discomfort. It can prevent a dangerous asthma attack from occurring. Those who take cortisone spray have such an attack less often and are less likely to come to the hospital for it. Cortisone spray can also prevent deaths from asthma.
Are there other asthma medications?
In some people, the symptoms are so severe that cortisone is not enough as the sole permanent medication. Then other active ingredients are added. They ensure that the airways widen. The breathing difficulties quickly subside.
Some people then think they no longer need the cortisone spray and leave it off.
But that's dangerous: the inflammation persists. Because on the other hand, these drugs are not strong enough, only the cortisone spray.
Why can't I leave out the cortisone spray?
Good studies show: Those who omit the cortisone spray in asthma and only take a drug that dilates the airways are more likely to suffer a severe asthma attack. It can be life threatening.
Therefore, you or your child should never take airway-widening medication permanently without cortisone spray. There are devices that already contain both drugs. Then there is no danger of forgetting the cortisone.
What are the side effects of inhaled cortisone?
Cortisone spray has far fewer side effects than tablet form. Because that's not how it works in the whole body, but mainly in the lungs. The dose and the correct inhalation technique are important. Otherwise it can lead to hoarseness, for example. More rarely, a fungus can form in the mouth. You can prevent this by rinsing your mouth, brushing your teeth or having a drink after inhaling.
- How are men in the hobbit
- Can I give oatmeal to my dogs
- What is a Minister for Brexit
- Provides AWS EC2 DDoS protection
- How can you be a better footballer
- Teachers can curve tests whenever they want
- How can I restart the USSR
- What cables come with the Nintendo switch
- Does the medical laboratory have a market in Kenya
- What are the famous inspirational books
- Can a zodiac sign describe the human character
- If gays can get married, why can't they have siblings
- Who is shipping the product from the Flipkart seller
- How many pizza chains are there
- What is colic abdominal pain
- What is Stevie Nick's style
- Why aren't mammals poisonous
- Why do governments lie so much
- What is Tartarus in the Bible
- What is hydrogen halide
- Can be proven that time exists
- Which is stronger gravity or friction
- What mistakes do people often brag about?
- How many users search for restaurants online
- What is the magnetic quantum number in chemistry
- What should every football fan know
- Should Phoenix Suns be trading with Devin Booker
- How diversified should my investment portfolio be?
- Why sucks Android
- How does MDMA affect nightmares
- How do I get to Kodaikanal from Mumbai
- What are some simple recipes to try
- How many college graduates per year