How do I rate my art
Evaluate art - this formula could help
How do you determine the value of art?
In recent years, the boom in contemporary art is not entirely innocent of this, a misconception has apparently manifested itself that one can read the value of a work of art from the price. Expensive art = good art. Of course, this thesis is provocative. But if you look at the reports on art and the art market that are now appearing in the lifestyle sections of all media houses, this assumption does not seem quite so absurd.
It is the so-called "Siegerkunst" as described by Wolfgang Ullrich in his new book "Siegerkunst. Neuer Adel, teure Lust", which dominates the reporting as well as auctions, art fairs and sometimes also biennials. In any case, the works of the "winning artists" are only affordable for the top 1% to 2% of collectors worldwide. But what about the remaining 98 percent of collectors? How can these art lovers, who are tired of Koons, Hirst's and Murakami's, form an objective judgment about art and artists.
How can you rate art?
An often published tip is to look for a gallery you trust. But what criteria should you use to select them? After all, each gallery only represents a limited number of artists and is unlikely to refer me to the competition if the gallery program doesn't appeal to me. Further possibilities are art consultants, art magazines, art associations and of course the various possibilities of the internet. But with all these possibilities you make yourself dependent on your opinion. It is often difficult to see how objective the advice, tips and opinions are.
ITÄT formula - get a picture for yourself
You surely have an inkling of what it’s getting at. Form your own opinion and strengthen your judgment. Or as Hubert Thurnhofer calls it: look - ask - compare. H. Thurnhofer devotes himself in his book "The Art Market Formula" in detail, how to approach the topic ". Here the method, or rather the evaluation formula" ITÄT "is discussed. This evaluation method is not new, but apparently comes with it all the beautiful bling-bling "winning art" all too quickly sidelined.
What does ITÄT stand for
- I - idea
- T - technology
- T - topic
- What is the underlying idea of a work of art (original, original, ingenious)?
- What technology and materials does the artist use (professional processing and processing)?
- Which aesthetic and compositional principles are used?
- Which thematic classification can be read off in the work (complete works, art history, topicality)?
Based on these first 4 parameters, works of art can be assessed, compared, discussed and delimited. You will then quickly see the difference between the value and the price of a work of art. If you want to deal with the art evaluation method of the ITÄT formula in more detail, the book "Die Kunstmarkt Formel" by H. Thurnhofer is recommended.
It goes without saying that this method presented here is only a beginning. There is a lot of literature and opinions on this topic. If you have tips and suggestions, share them or discuss with us on the relevant social channels.
- join the discussion here
on the subject:
- Collecting Art - 8 books to get you started
- How ArtRank grew to be the most hated website in the art scene
- Value of art - insider report on the art market
The art market formula
by Hubert Thurnhofer
Books on Demand
order now from Amazon
Winning art. New nobility, dear lust
by Wolfgang Ullrich
Publishing house Klaus Wagenbach
order now from Amazon
Photo: gratisography.com, Ryan McGuire
Buy exclusive art - editions, sculptures, unique items
Art collect news on the topic:
- You can prepay Facebook ads
- What are the famous American hunting knives
- What are congruent numbers
- How understandable are Serbian and Czech
- Who controls my phone
- What is a proportional adjustment
- Is lead chromate soluble in water
- What is just ugly to think
- Why is Weight Loss Slow 1
- Can a Caltrain conductor drive the train
- Loss of memory is a psychological disorder
- What are your reviews of Pyrocrat Systems
- How did Dave Ramsey change your life
- What role do the kidneys play
- What would an antimatter explosion look like
- How accurate are Theranos blood tests
- Why is proteomics better than genomics
- What is the feeling of being uplifted
- Is it a sin to be brutally honest?
- West Virginia was a slave state
- You can multiply x 98 x 5
- Would you recommend Swagbucks
- What is Khan's best film
- What is the answer of 2 2 2 2 2 3 3
- What is mass weight
- Is Sinhgad College good for an MBA
- Why is the Account Management Tool so important
- How can I balance infatuation and study
- Why are straps used when driving a car?
- Why are hijabs so colorful
- What is math do physicists need it
- Should Luxottica be dissolved
- What are some strange animals
- Why do I feel so good