Why was John Lennon an atheist
A world without religion, do I want that?
contentRead on one side
Do religions stand in the way of a worldwide understanding that Lennon wants to banish in his peace hymn from 1971? A world without religion, do I want that?
It is interesting how John Lennon commented on this 40 years ago in the long last interview shortly before his murder. When asked what inspired him to write this song, he said: "Someone gave us a kind of little prayer book. It's in the Christian idiom ... It's about the idea of positive prayer. If you want a car, get it you get a key. Do you understand? Imagine is about. If you can imagine a world in peace, with no religious beliefs - not without religion, but without this 'My God is greater than yours' story - then it can come true. "
And then Lennon adds: "One time someone from the 'World Church' called me and asked if they could read the text from Imagine use it and put it in 'imagine one religion 'are likely to change. That showed me that they hadn't understood a thing. "
Isn't that the spirit of the Sermon on the Mount Lennon is speaking from here? "Blessed are the peacemakers. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice." Mahatma Gandhi also agreed. In order to live from this spirit of the Beatitudes one does not need an established religion, but an alert, compassionate heart.
It's a tragic, fateful story. In the late summer 40 years ago, an interview with forty-year-old John Lennon and his wife, the Japanese artist Yoko Ono, began, which lasted several weeks. Ten years after the end of the Beatles, Lennon had disappeared from the limelight, caring almost exclusively for their son. What should be an interim balance became the last detailed self-disclosure of the artist. Because two days after the interview was published, Lennon died on his doorstep from a former fan’s bullet.
He once said in the interview: "Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King are good examples of great nonviolence advocates who were killed by violence. I can't fix it. We're pacifists, but I'm not sure what it means if someone is so much a pacifist that he will be shot. I will probably never understand that. "
Even earlier, Lennon had to fear for his life, the Ku Klux Klan had him in their sights, as well as the FBI, because of his criticism of US politics. And then he was a target of hatred for stubborn Christians.
With his pacifist engagement, John Lennon was well on the trail of the crucified. The honeymoon was staged by John Lennon and Yoko Ono as a "bed-in" because the press was on their heels anyway. - You sat in a hotel bed and talked to the reporters and used the worldwide attention as a week-long commercial for peace. The song comes from this time The Ballad of John and Yoko. The chorus of the ballad goes like this: "Christ, you know it ain't easy." "Christ, you know it is not easy, you know how hard it can get. As things go, they will crucify me."
Before that was her song Give Peace a Chance gone around the world. In December 1969, at the height of the Vietnam War, they staged a poster campaign, signed very small with "Happy Christmas from John & Yoko". The message jumps out in bold: "WAR IS OVER" - "The war is over". Smaller below the line that makes you sit up and take notice: "If you want it" - "If you want it".
That is probably the simple and sad truth to this day.
The "morning prayer" of the NDR gives life orientation from the Christian message. It runs Monday to Saturday at 7.50 a.m. in NDR Kultur and at 5.55 a.m. in NDR Info. The audio and manuscripts can be found here.
- Are women employed as software engineers
- Why does mold grow on silicone sealant
- How did the Grand Canyon come about
- Do you have a picture of God
- What is the best yoga teaching insurance
- What is a void in Java
- Where did Turkish tea come from?
- Arrogance is always a sign of immaturity
- Why do birds lay eggs of different colors
- Where can I get good book reviews
- How important are newspapers these days
- How does palm fruit taste
- Can deadlifts help reduce love grips?
- How often will your family visit us
- Dies Captain America in the Avengers Endgame
- When did Supernova explode in 1987A
- Monetary policy is dependent on fiscal policy
- Who uses the restlet framework in production
- Who is Steve Jobs' son
- When are the sales at the end of the season exactly
- How do you know how to groom yourself
- How can I fulfill my wishes
- Do backlinks really work like they did on the date
- Can an anaconda kill a man
- How should I look at mental disorders
- Tina Turner still performs
- What could that mean
- What is the future of electric vehicles
- Broadband gives good speeds
- How can I dress like a princess?
- What is the lift in data mining
- What does a particle still mean?
- Which alternative browsers are available on Android
- What is the smallest rebreather