Food poisoning symptoms are immediate
First aid for food poisoning
At eurapon, you can read a quick overview of what to do immediately in the event of food poisoning.
The DOs for Immediate Aid For Food Poisoning - What Should You Do?
- Drink as much as possible. In addition to still water, teas can also help.
- Normalize the salt balance with an electrolyte solution (from the pharmacy).
- Think about what you ate a few hours ago.
- If you've eaten fish or seafood, it could be fish poisoning. In this case, call a doctor immediately.
- Find out who also ate the food and whether they are also showing symptoms.
- Lie on their back or the affected person with a pillow under their knees. This position relaxes the abdominal wall and relieves abdominal pain.
- For old people, children, pregnant women or severe symptoms: Call a doctor.
- If you have a fever or bloody diarrhea: also contact a doctor.
The DONTs for emergency aid in the event of food poisoning - which you shouldn't do
- Physical exertion that leads to sweating and thus further loss of fluids must be avoided at all costs.
- Be careful with home remedies such as milk, as these can sometimes exacerbate the symptoms.
The symptoms of food poisoning come on very suddenly. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramps occur within a few hours of eating.
When should you see a doctor with food poisoning?
If only diarrhea and vomiting occur, you can wait one and a half to two days to see a doctor. However, if you have a fever, dizziness or pronounced weakness, you should consult a doctor immediately after the first aid measures.
Particular caution is advised with babies, young children and the elderly. Because food poisoning can be more severe due to their weaker immune system. These groups of people therefore seek medical advice as quickly as possible.
Preventing food poisoning
Food poisoning usually results from food contaminated with bacteria. Correct storage of food is therefore a preventive measure. Perishable foods should always be kept in the refrigerator. It is best to wash your hands thoroughly before cooking and wash vegetables and fruits with water. Cut meat and fish on a different board than salad and side dishes.
Take special care with mushroom poisoning
Mushrooms are very demanding foods in terms of storage and shelf life. Therefore, care should be taken with mushrooms that you have collected yourself. It is not uncommon for an intolerance or even dangerous mushroom poisoning to occur after consumption.
The dos for immediate help with mushroom poisoning
- Induce vomiting: If possible, empty your stomach quickly. This can be done by warm, salted water or by tickling the throat. Do not give alcohol or milk as this can make the symptoms worse.
- Lay the sick person down quietly and cover them warmly. If unconscious, place the person in a stable side position.
- Keep the unused mushroom residues and possibly also the remains of the vomit and bring them to the doctor. In this way, the fungal toxin can be determined and the poisoning can be combated in a targeted manner.
- If the person is responsive: Find out how long ago the mushroom meal was and when the first symptoms appeared. Send this information to the emergency services.
- Even if just one person shows symptoms, anyone who has eaten the mushroom meal should see a doctor.
The DON’Ts for immediate relief in the event of mushroom poisoning
- Under no circumstances should alcohol or milk be given to induce vomiting.
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning are similar to food poisoning, but they can also be more severe.
If you notice the following symptoms after eating mushrooms, you should contact a doctor immediately:
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- a headache
- Circulatory and respiratory problems
How severe is mushroom poisoning?
The symptoms can appear after a few hours or even after several days. By the time the symptoms appear, you can tell how severe the poisoning is.
- Kick the Discomfort up to 4 hours after the mushroom meal on, the poisoning is not that severe. It can be an allergic reaction, a mushroom intolerance, food poisoning or a gastrointestinal disorder to a toxic fungus.
- The situation is different once the symptoms have emerged 6-20 hours or up to 10 days after the mushroom meal occur. Then mushroom poisoning can be life threatening. So call an emergency doctor immediately.
But even with early symptoms, you should contact a doctor directly or go to a clinic if you suspect fungal poisoning.
Prevent mushroom poisoning
Preventing mushroom poisoning begins with correct collection, storage and preparation. You can read in our blog post Mushrooms as raw food which mushrooms can be eaten raw, what needs to be considered when collecting them and how to store mushrooms correctly.
More information about food and mushroom poisoning
- The Apotheken Umschau explains what to do in the event of food poisoning
- On pilzfinder.de you will find an overview of mushroom types to distinguish edible from poisonous mushrooms
- The information center against poisoning of the University Hospital Bonn presents poisonous and non-poisonous mushrooms on gizbonn.de
- How are chalacias treated
- What does it mean to be in this sentence
- What can chamomile leaves be used for?
- Should I retire to college?
- What is the rotational speed
- Intense exercise can help build self-confidence
- Which food has the most starch
- Why do people still listen to Kanye
- Can an IP be changed
- What is form factor
- How did Abraham die
- Who is Gopika Varma
- What should I do with my future
- What is 78 2 10 8
- What is Accidental Food Additive
- How can I wear Vans high tops?
- What are the main steps of protein synthesis
- Why are wrong people loved more?
- NYC MTA drivers can take tips
- Is collagen powder halal to consume
- How can India make more millionaires
- Is Boba bad for you
- What am I packing for Lagos Nigeria
- Is soba noodle gluten-free