Got someone married because of Quora
That's why we put rings on our ring fingers
Photographed by Winnie Au.
Western wedding traditions range from romantic (kisses to seal the wedding vow) to seemingly incomprehensible (seriously, who ever thought that throwing the bridal bouquet was somehow necessary?). The undisputed number one of the traditions, however, is that the wedding ring is worn on the fourth finger of the left hand, the so-called ring finger. As it turns out, we owe this tradition to outdated notions of human anatomy.
According to an ancient Greek belief, the love vein (vena amoris, as it is called in ancient Greek) was the one that led from the fourth finger of the left hand directly to the heart - oh yes, and was therefore a very special vein.
Unfortunately this, admittedly pretty sweet, belief is definitely a myth. As one doctor explained in response to a Quora post, deliver of course all Veins in the body's heart with blood - accordingly, there is no reason to believe this a Vein is somehow special.
But even if science exposes the tradition behind the ring finger, we can still find meaning in this custom. People wear their wedding rings as a symbol of the unbreakable bond with their partner. As a 15th century lawyer explained, the rings are meant to symbolize that the couple have joined their hands and hearts - and that can be expressed with either finger on the left or right hand, depending on the cultural Tradition you want to follow. So if you really take it seriously, science doesn't really matter here as long as you focus on the emotional meaning that a wedding ring can have.
In all honesty, we're kind of stuck with this tradition too, even if we wanted to throw it overboard. Therefore, we can simply recognize it as one of those many wedding customs that are traditionally done for the sake of tradition. Also: Does anyone want to tell Beyoncé that from now on she should use a different finger when performing her song? Surely nobody dares to do that!
- What does ink poisoning look like
- How can rational numbers be negative?
- What can I choose for the architecture
- Which instrument should I learn after the ukulele?
- What prevents a person from finding peace
- What is the fastest handwriting speed
- How many steps are there in the Golconda Fort
- How can I start loving myself?
- When was the Kuomintang founded?
- Why were German bayonets called a side gun?
- What is the best photography site
- Why do mothers get angry
- Infinity can be negative
- Is there something called antimatter
- How do you handle a dog bite
- Is 5 9 tall for a man
- Which is a real youtube video downloader
- Does Satthwa hair oil really work
- Which is my question
- Why is Weight Loss Slow 1
- How can you fix pixelated images?
- Should Tibet become a sovereign nation again
- Hostel is compulsory at NIT Agartala
- What is a good SQL boot camp