What is scalability
The term scalability or scaling means, in a business sense, the Ability to increase saleswithout having to make major investments (e.g. for production and infrastructure) at the same time. In general, scaling describes a change in size and represents a significant one Property of business models or business ideasrepresent.
When is a business model scalable?
For business start-ups, this question must already be addressed by the Development of the business model put. Because with a high level of scalability, the profit margin also increases with growing sales.
Especially business models that no physical capacity limits how production plants have are highly scalable. Are a good example Internet business models, for example an online shop that deals solely with the trade of goods: Once the website is up and the logistics are organized, it often doesn't matter how much is implemented - hardly any new investments are made.
Further features for high scalability
1. High level of automation
In companies with high scalability, there is a simultaneous rule high degree of automation. This enables efficient and fast work.
2. Low fixed costs
Almost every company incurs fixed costs. Scalable business models are, however, characterized by the fact that they have a relatively low proportion of fixed costs despite increased production.
3. "Asset Light" strategy
Business models that have relatively low fixed assets tend to be more scalable. These companies are more able to increase their sales with low investments than companies with high initial investments, such as production facilities.
A successful business model must be able to expand into other markets. A scalable business idea can easily establish itself outside of Germany and thus internationally.
Other areas of application
The term “scaling” is also used outside of business. Here are some more definitions of terms:
- Art / Photography: Images are resized
- IT: Objects or font sizes are enlarged or reduced
- Computer graphics: describes the change in size of a digital image
- Video technology: Material is digitally enlarged
«Back to start-up lexicon
- Is 5G a LiFi
- Why is China so confident about 5G
- Why do people choose jobs in medicine
- What feels good
- Lusha is a legal service for LinkedIn
- What are the general kernel functions
- What do the locals eat in Tallinn
- Why didn't the Mongols invade Finland?
- What are some simple recipes to try
- Should smartphones be viewed as telephones
- Why does mold grow on silicone sealant
- Where is Cornwall in the UK
- What are some popular local ecommerce platforms
- Where did the dowry culture come from?
- How was your long conversation with someone
- How can greed be good
- What was a forerunner of the pyramids
- How does a hash map work internally
- Can we cure computers?
- Why couldn't MySQL endanger Oracle's sales?
- Which professional athlete has the best tweets
- What is deep cleaning in housekeeping
- Are redheads hot
- What is the currency in the Congo