Why do people generally have depression
The exact causes of depression are unknown, but numerous factors can influence its development. In general, depression cannot be traced back to a single event, but rather to the interplay of biological, personal and other factors in the person's personal environment.
Research has shown that persistent problems such as long-term unemployment, violent or loveless relationships, long-term isolation or loneliness, exceptional stress at work, are more likely to cause depression than everyday stresses of shorter duration. However, recent events such as job loss can “trigger” depression in people, especially if they have had bad experiences in the past or are at risk from personal factors.
- Family factors: Depression can be more common in a family, which increases the genetic risk. However, this does not mean that a person will automatically develop depression if a parent or close relative has already had the disease. Your own living conditions and other personal factors play a decisive role here.
- Personality: Some people are more susceptible to depression because of their personality. This includes people who tend to worry often, have little self-confidence, are sensitive to personal criticism, are perfectionist, self-critical or pessimistic.
- Serious illness: A medical condition can cause depression in two different ways. On the one hand, a physically severe illness can directly cause depression. On the other hand, it can contribute to depression due to the stress or worry associated with it. This applies in particular to long-term treatment of the disease and / or to chronic pain.
- Drug and alcohol use: The use of drugs or alcohol can lead to depression as well as being a consequence of depression.
Changes in the brain
Although much research has been done in this complex area, much is still unknown. Depression is not simply the result of a "chemical imbalance" caused by a lack of certain messenger substances in the brain that carry messages between brain cells. Numerous other causes can disrupt the regulation of the state of mind and thus influence severe depression. These include genetic susceptibility to disease, strong stress factors in life, the use of substances (medication, drugs, alcohol) and other medical complaints.
Most modern antidepressants act on these messenger substances serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain and thus restore a chemical balance. However, this balance can also be re-established with the help of psychological treatments. Effective psychotherapeutic treatments also stimulate the new growth of nerve cells in the circulatory systems that regulate the state of mind, which plays a central role in recovery from severe depressive phases.
Everyone is different and often it is a combination of different factors that can contribute to the development of depression in a person. Sometimes the cause of depression cannot always be determined. Often times, the difficult circumstances that lead to depression cannot be changed. In any case, the most important thing is to identify the signs and symptoms and seek help.
- Why is generalized fear a social taboo
- A movie-style zombie outbreak is possible
- Is there a drug for hearing loss?
- How do I stay away from smoking
- We live in a timeless reality
- What are some sad classical piano pieces
- Why is proteomics better than genomics
- Is there a bullet journal app
- What does sacrosanct mean?
- How did you prepare for ANTHE
- Why is PHP your favorite language
- Can bond hydrogen with itself
- How does reading reception work in Outlook
- Should i kiss my girlfriend?
- What if Google blocks Apple's YouTube channel
- Which virtual reality glasses should I buy?
- What is water vapor max temperature
- Will Bran Stark marry Dany
- Why are organic compounds insoluble in water
- Love Indians poetry
- Which is better NPS or ELSS
- Who will take over for Theresa May
- What screams I'm ashamed
- How did Levis make jeans out of plastic
- How do sociology students become data scientists
- How rich is George W. Bush
- How to say everyone in Dutch
- How do I calculate 99 999 9999
- What is a continuous housing connection
- What are the levels of artificial intelligence
- How is BIMTECH and IFIM for PGDM
- What makes Quora friendships so special
- What were the Ten Commandments on?