What is the need for Express JS
How to create a simple web server in Node.js.
Node.js has become one of the most popular options for server-side development since it was first released over a decade ago. While it's relatively new to PHP and other backend technologies, it has been widely adopted by technology giants like LinkedIn, PayPal, Netflix, and others.
This article shows you how to use Node.js and the Express.js web framework to build and run your own web server.
Technologies and packages involved
On the other hand, Express.js is a minimalist web framework that has become the de facto backend framework for Node.js. However, Express.js is not a requirement. You can still use the built-in http- Use module from Node.js to build your server. Express.js is based on the http- Module and offers a simpler API with all the required configurations.
Create a web server
To better organize your code, you can start by creating a folder that will hold all of the files and dependencies. Since Express.js is not a built-in Node.js module, you need to install it using npm.
Read more: What is npm?
Run the command to install the Express.js package npm install express on your Terminal or Command Prompt. Before installing, make sure you are in the project directory.
When done, you can open the folder with a text editor or IDE of your choice and create a new file named create server.js . To use the Express.js package, you must first have an instance of it in the file server.js import and create.
The main goal of a web server is to respond to requests from different routes with the appropriate handler function. This code processes all GET requests to the root path ( "/" ) and replies with "Hello World!"
Likewise, you can view dynamic content and perform other operations depending on the path and type of request you are making. This can be done using route parameters, through the semicolon designated: before the parameter.
In both of the above examples, the first line represents the use of the .get () Method of Express.js, the two parameters accepted : the endpoint or route and a callback handler function that uses requests and response objects as parameters. These two parameters are automatically sent when you make a request.
In the second line the answer is given via the method .send () for the Response object . You can enter any text or HTML in the brackets. With dynamic routes the access gives up req.params.name (since you /: used name ) of the requirement object the value of the dynamic Route parameters (in this case Surname ) back.
To listen to incoming requests on a port, you can use the .list () that uses the port number and an optional callback function to run on success.
I used port 5000 in the example, but you can change it to any valid port. That's all of the code you need to create a simple web server using Node.js and Express.js. The same concept can be further expanded to include other requirements such as POST , PUT or DELETE to other routes too send . This is how the file looks server.js out:
Testing the server
To run the code and start the server, run the command node server on your terminal or at the command prompt in the project directory. This will perform the callback function that you did for the method .listen () specified .
To confirm the server is working, open a web browser and visit http: // localhost: 5000
If you like a dynamic route visit http: // localhost: 5000 / muo , will be the second Handler function executed and displayed:
To stop the server, press on Windows Ctrl + C or under MacOS Cmd + C.
Node.js can do more
If you'd rather give Google's programming language a try, building a simple web server is a great starter project.
- How iconoclastic is UChicago
- Can you make any material hydrophobic?
- Why do airplanes have vacuum toilets
- Have you tried fighting anxiety?
- PUBG players can expect PUBG 2
- Why do people long for other people's reactions
- Is an associates degree important at all
- Why am I fighting in college
- What inspired Stanley Kubrick
- Is it okay to feel okay?
- What's in a name 1
- How frightening is the juvenile prison
- All companies need a business analyst
- Why is CPEC required
- What is the best cell phone
- Who enchants the crown of Jesus
- How is an Oklahoma City DUI calculated
- Who can call him an economist himself?
- What are some fairies in Hindu mythology
- How do male enhancement pills really work
- What is the name of USA money
- Is it safe to install aftermarket sunroofs
- Why do we study Shakespeare in America
- Are children born with 20 20 vision
- What does Itici geldi mean in Turkish
- The old Turks were enemies of the old Uighurs
- How can I read a sample language
- How can I meet the Indian Prime Minister
- What happened during my bad weed journey
- How do I make money doing handicrafts
- Why are there so many Fortran compilers
- How would I solve this trigonometry function
- How do I create a new currency