Is mold in the bathroom dangerous

Remove mold in the bathroom

Status: 04/12/2019 9:52 a.m. | archive
Conventional cleaners don't stand a chance against nasty fungal deposits on joints.

Mold spores are all over the place. You will find ideal living conditions in the warm, humid climate of bathrooms. Mold-infested tile joints often look scruffy, but there is usually no health risk. Only allergy sufferers and people with a weakened immune system should stay away as a precaution and leave the cleaning to others. But: which means are best for combating black deposits? Markt compares home remedies and special cleaners (prices per 100 milliliters each):

  • Denatured alcohol for 0.20 euros
  • Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) for 2.95 euros
  • Hydrogen peroxide for 2.31 euros
  • Mold remover with sodium hypochlorite for 0.38 euros
  • Mold remover with benzalkonium chloride for 2.00 euros

Basically, all products should only be used with protective gloves.


Denatured alcohol: mold dead, stains remain

Denatured alcohol is an inexpensive but inedible variant of drinking alcohol (ethanol). It is suitable for all surfaces. In order to kill mold reliably, denatured alcohol should be worked in with a rag or a brush. However, the spots often do not go away or only fade a little. The reason: alcohol has no bleaching effect.

Rubbing alcohol: good for the environment and health

Isopropyl alcohol is available in the pharmacy. It gives off the typical hospital smell. There it is often used as the main component of disinfectants. Similar to alcohol, you should work rubbing alcohol thoroughly into the joints, for example with a cloth or a brush. The Federal Environment Agency even recommends alcohol to remove mold, because it is considered harmless to health and the environment. It just evaporates.

Hydrogen peroxide: three percent solution helps

Many people are familiar with the home remedy hydrogen peroxide from hairdressers: in higher concentrations, it makes hair blonde. A three percent solution is enough to kill fungal spores on plaster and grout. In order for the liquid solution to stick better to the wall, it is best to place a suitable strip of kitchen paper on the joint and apply the hydrogen peroxide to it with a brush. Brush off well after half an hour.

Mold cleaner with chlorine: smell like in a swimming pool

"Clean without scrubbing": The chlorine cleaner keeps this promise in the practical test.

Sodium hypochlorite mold removers contain chlorine. They therefore usually spread an intense odor like in a swimming pool. Chlorine can irritate the respiratory tract and must not be used together with other cleaning agents. In connection with acidic cleaning agents, highly toxic chlorine gas can be produced. In the practical test, however, the cleaning agent with chlorine was the most convincing: after a 15-minute exposure time, almost nothing was to be seen of the mold.

Mold cleaner without chlorine: a lot of scrubbing required

An alternative to mold removers containing chlorine are products with the active ingredient benzalkonium chloride. According to experts, it is less of a problem for health and the environment. Disadvantage: The testers have to scrub vigorously to remove mold as thoroughly as with a chorus-based mold remover.

Ventilate well and rinse with water

With or without chlorine: mold cleaners are not suitable for all surfaces. Because they leave residues that can pollute the air in the room. After taking effect, rinse off thoroughly with clean water. It's quick and easy in the shower. On the plaster, however, the residues are often stubborn. Important: ventilate well when spraying the cleaner.

Hard case silicone joint

All cleaners failed in the practical test on a moldy silicone joint. The reason: the mold eats its way into the soft material so that the cleaners don't stand a chance. A discolored silicone joint is harmless to health. If you are bothered by the black spots, you should have the silicone joint replaced by a specialist company. So that the fungus does not come back so quickly, sanitary silicone is a good choice. It contains substances that kill fungi (fungicides).

This topic in the program:

Market | 04/15/2019 | 8:15 pm