How does the GRE test work
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a standard test for college graduates wishing to apply for graduate schools in the United States.
aimThe exam is designed to measure the applicant's basic academic skills regardless of the subject. Above all, the verbal and quantitative abilities of abstract thinking are in the foreground, which should have optimally developed in undergraduate studies.
Structure of the testThe GRE is a computer test that is divided into three assessed multiple choice questions:
- Oral section: This is where the applicant's verbal skills are required. The focus is on the applicant's vocabulary.
- Quantitative section: Mathematics and comparative problems at high school level are to be worked on.
- Analytical section: The applicant has to write two short essays in which he has to comment on a specific question on the one hand and on errors in a given argument on the other.
In addition to the general part, the existing specific knowledge can be proven for different subject areas in a GRE subject test. This supplementary test is not computer-based, but offered in paper form.
ratingThe multiple choice part of the GRE is graded on a scale from 200 to 800 points in intervals of ten, the essay part from 0 to 6 in intervals of 0.5.
acceptanceThe GRE is required by numerous universities in English-speaking countries, especially the USA, as part of the application process for graduate studies. At the same time, however, the test is also criticized because, in the opinion of many experts, it cannot make any really reliable statement about the academic abilities of the test subjects. The weighting of the GRE therefore varies greatly from university to university.
Implementation of GRE testsEspecially before starting an internationally oriented master’s degree or doctoral degree, the highly standardized GRE tests provide an opportunity to compare previous qualifications acquired in different countries.
The majority of GRE tests are computer-based or internet-based. Calculation aids are permitted for the quantitative test complex. The preparation of all three test complexes is recommended because the questions are formulated very precisely in many cases and the wording of the details is important.
evaluationThe evaluation of the test results can take up to two weeks. With the switch from the conventional to the modified GRE procedure, a new rating scale was introduced, so that the comparability of older and new GRE tests is currently only given as an approximate comparison.
To prepare for the GRE test, it is possible to obtain training material from the test organizations for a low fee and to take a fee-based test test that shows potential weaknesses at an early stage.
- Can an electronic device help with glaucoma?
- Who polluted the air like that?
- Provides AWS EC2 DDoS protection
- What is vegan mulch
- What does a burnout look like
- What do Pakistan's blasphemy laws prohibit
- Is football culturally Marxist
- What does acrylic on canvas mean
- What are merciless killings
- Cancer affects the eyes
- Which ruler united ancient Egypt
- Was Cuba a Spanish colony
- What qualities make jcole a good rapper
- Can PCMB students become a pilot?
- How can you diagnose yourself with NPD
- What's your favorite cruise line
- What are popular German nursery rhymes
- Real leather burns
- Who is more powerful than Braun Strowman
- Who founded Taco Bell
- What if Russia destroys Ukraine
- How is online learning different
- What is Khan's best film
- Particles of matter attract each other