Can alcohol be found in Egypt

alcohol Alcohol damages the brain and organs

content

Rate this article:
Average rating: 3.94 of 5 with 31 votes.

Alcoholic beverages are not just being consumed by people these days. They were mentioned in ancient scriptures as early as 5,000 years ago. However, alcohol is not without danger, although alcoholic beverages are on the table of many people every day.

From: Simone Wichert

Status: 10/10/2017

Alcoholic beverages were mentioned in the Sumerian writings as early as 5,000 years ago. The first brewery was probably not quite 4,000 years ago in ancient Egypt, where beer was also considered a staple food because it has a lot of calories. The researchers even found remains of wine in the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutenchamun. We have been brewing beer and pressing wine since the Middle Ages - often in monasteries, where strong beer was drunk as "liquid bread" as a substitute for a meal, especially during Lent.

Legal but dangerous drug

Oktoberfest without beer? Unthinkable for many!

Many people drink alcohol at least now and then, some quite often or regularly: beer, wine or sometimes schnapps are even on the table in some families every day. Nobody constantly realizes that alcohol is actually a drug and a poison for the body that it has to cope with and which it has to break down. Because for healthy adults, a small amount of alcohol every now and then is not harmful.

But children and young people are not allowed to drink alcohol at all - if they do, it is far more dangerous for them than for adults. Alcohol regularly in large quantities is addicting - everyone.

No alcohol for children!

Children and adolescents are absolutely not allowed to drink alcohol. As with everyone, the alcohol acts as a so-called cell poison. In children, however, the development of the brain and organs is not yet complete and this can be severely disturbed by alcohol. In addition, a child's liver can hardly cope with alcohol.

Alcohol is a cell poison. Wherever it passes on its way through our body, it can also cause damage. On the way from the mouth to the bladder, it can attack and damage the cells of the oral mucosa, the esophagus, the stomach, the pancreas, the intestine and the bladder. This increases the risk of cancer for each of these organs.

The higher the amount of alcohol in the drink - how "high proof" this drink is, the worse the destructive effect can be. And those who drink a very large amount of alcohol in a very short time can also poison themselves with it: One can become unconscious, fall into a coma and even die - from cardiac arrest or respiratory arrest.

Percent? Alcohol?

"Percent" indicates the amount of pure alcohol in a drink. The alcohol level in the blood is expressed in "per mille" - how much pure alcohol you have consumed in comparison to your own body fluid: A very tall person will have less alcohol in their blood after a glass of wine than a smaller person.

This can happen at two to three per thousand - how large the amount of alcohol and how short the time must be for this to happen depends on the individual; not everyone can "tolerate" the same amount of alcohol. And that in turn has to do with how the liver works and how many so-called enzymes ("digestive juices") the body produces for it. In general, men can tolerate more alcohol than women.

Particularly toxic to the liver

Our body recognizes alcohol as a poison - and that has to get out of it as quickly as possible! The liver takes care of this: it is our detoxification organ and also breaks down alcohol - and it always takes the most toxic substance first! Instead, she lets her other work be. While the liver has to devote itself to alcohol, it cannot break down fat, which it otherwise does, among other things. It stores fat and can get sick: "Alcoholic fatty liver" is the name of this first stage.

Alcohol already has a toxic effect on our liver cells: some of its breakdown products are even more harmful to them than alcohol itself. Healthy liver tissue is usually very soft and well supplied with blood - if you drink alcohol frequently, a lot and over a long period of time, the liver becomes hard and lumpy scarred over time. As a result, it is supplied with less and less blood and works worse and worse. The final stage of this is called "cirrhosis of the liver" - and it is no longer reversible.

With the blood via the heart into the brain

Alcohol does not only attack the internal organs. It also gets into the blood and is thus distributed throughout the body. It can damage not only the bloodstream, but also the sensitive cells of the heart. Nerve and brain cells are also at risk. Researchers are not entirely sure whether these will die or the connections between them will be destroyed. In any case, the brain works poorly very quickly with alcohol. And the staggering and babbling of a drunk also show that the nerves in his legs and tongue are not working properly.

No drink driving!

Alcohol also has an effect on the psyche or on certain centers in the brain, which is very pleasant at first: You feel relaxed, energized, in a better mood, maybe less afraid. The more alcohol you drink, the more cocky you get, the less you think about it and the more likely you are to do things that you would probably have left sober.

Many people also become irritable and aggressive when they drink alcohol. Those who drink too much tend to feel numb. The memory is disturbed, you have a "blackout" and you don't remember some things later.

A "hangover" that many have after an intoxication is an aftereffect of the toxic breakdown products in the liver - and should also be understood as a warning to our body not to drink too much again or too often.