What does size mean to you
Clothing sizes: size charts for women, men and children
3 things in advance:
- Your own dimensions are the the best basis for choosing a size when shopping online
- As many Clothing manufacturer their cuts individual measurement tables design, the manufacturer's own size tables provide the most reliable information about which size fits your own measurements. As far as these are available, you will find the size chart of the respective manufacturer as Link in the product description.
- Size charts facilitate the conversion or comparison of international size systems and offer a good orientation aid.
Convert clothing size using the size table
Size tables offer very good assistance in transferring your own measurements to other size systems. The following tables show the standard dimensions. Where Manufacturers' dimension tables are available, you can find them in the Bergzeit Shop under "Size and fit table" for the respective product.
Table: Men's clothing sizes
|European size||international size||Inch size||UK and US size||French size|
Table: clothing sizes women
|European size||international size||Inch size||UK size||US size||French size|
Table of short and long sizes
|Short sizes||Long sizes|
|House size||Ladies||Men's||House size||Ladies||Men's|
|XXS short||16||22||XXS long||64|
|XS short||17||23||XS long||68|
|S short||18||24||S long||72||90|
|M short||19||25||M long||76||94|
|L short||20||26||L long||80||98|
|XL short||21||27||XL long||84||102|
|XXL short||22||28||XXL long||88||106|
|3XL short||23||29||3XL long||92||110|
|4XL short||24||30||4XL long||96||114|
|5XL short||25||31||5XL long||100||118|
|6XL short||26||32||6XL long||104||122|
Table: clothing sizes for children
The information on clothing sizes for children from 50 to 176 is based on the body size from newborns to teenagers. Alternatively, some manufacturers give age information, for example "6-9 months" or "3 years". As a rule of thumb, the current height of the child and the approximate age can be used as a basis for dress size, with age information for sizes being based on the average body structure of the respective age group. Deviations in the individual cuts of the individual brands are also quite possible for children's clothing.
|Height in cm||Age (approx.)||Clothing size|
|until 50||1 month||50|
|63-68||approx. 6 months||68|
|69-74||approx. 9 months||74|
|75-80||approx. 12 months||80|
|81-86||approx. 18 months||86|
|87-92||about 2 years||92|
|93-98||about 3 years||98|
|99-104||about 4 years||104|
|105-110||approx. 5 years||110|
|111-116||about 6 years||116|
|117-122||about 7 years||122|
|123-128||about 8 years||128|
|129-134||approx. 9 years||134|
|135-140||about 10 years||140|
|141-146||approx. 11 years||146|
|148-152||approx. 12 years||152|
|153-158||about 13 years||158|
|159-164||about 14 years||164|
|165-170||approx. 15 years||170|
|171-176||about 16 years||176|
Know your measurements!
In order to order clothing that is as suitable as possible as an online customer, it is worthwhile to take a tape measure yourself at home and measure your chest, hip and waist circumference as well as your leg length. With these values you can find yourself in the Manufacturer size tables orientate yourself and put the appropriate size (in case of doubt, better too big than too small) in the shopping cart.
- Note: For Dress sizes is there none internationally valid or mandatory standard. Depending on the manufacturer, a 38 is therefore a bit smaller or larger than other brands. A look at the size charts provides information on the fit.
- Tip: You can find out how to measure correctly in our picture gallery for correct measurements.
What size do I have? How to measure properly!
If you want to determine your clothing size, the following information is important:
- a. Chest circumference: Measure under the armpits at the widest part of the upper body.
- b. waist size: Measure above the navel.
- c. Hip circumference: Measure around the strongest part of the buttocks.
- d. Stride length: Measure the inside of the leg from the crotch to the ankle bone (ankle).
- e. Arm length: From the center back (cervical vertebra) over the tip of the shoulder with a slightly bent arm to the wrist bone (Note: Some manufacturers also specify the arm length "from the tip of the shoulder to the wrist."
- f. leg length (from the waist): On the outside of the leg from the waist over the hips to below the ankle bones.
With this information you can find out which size fits you in the size tables directly for the product.
Take the right measurements
Special case of trouser sizes
Trouser sizes pose a particular problem for many customers, as the ratio of leg length to hip circumference does not always match the clothing size. That is why some manufacturers offer their pants in different lengths. The best-known indication of this can be found in jeans. Here the waist circumference and the inside leg length are usually given in inches, one speaks of the Inch sizes. Size 32/34 for men describes a waist circumference of 32 inches (~ 81 centimeters) with a leg length of 34 inches (~ 86 centimeters). To calculate your inch size, divide the centimeter value by 2.54.
In the case of trousers in particular, a long or short leg length is also indicated by the label R (regular), S (short) or L (long). Different leg lengths can also be found in our range using the comment "short" or "long".
Fit: How should functional clothing fit?
Classic trying on is still the best way to determine the fit. Your own physique and personal preferences - figure-hugging or baggy - naturally play a role when choosing your size. In general, sportswear works best when it is quite body-hugging. So if you are between two sizes, the smaller one is often the better choice. Special body features such as pronounced hips or particularly long arms often require a compromise, in which the larger variant usually creates more well-being.
15 facts for a better perspective in the clothing size jungle
- basis for European clothing size systems is theChest circumference.
- In Germany lead the Hohenstein Institute more or less regular series measurements in the population. The collected average measurements many (but not all) German fashion manufacturers serve as the basis for their pattern design. Manufacturers from other countries use a different database.
- Also very individual considerations from clothing manufacturersThose who tailor their pattern to a very special target group have an influence on the size charts. This explains why the sleeves are always too long for some brands and always suitable for others.
- In the Germany usual size specifications for normal sizes also apply in Austria, the Switzerland, Czech Republic, Denmark, the Netherlands and Poland.
- For the German clothing sizes from 32 to 54 (women) or 40 to 62 (men) the measured chest circumference is halved in men. For women, another six centimeters are deducted from half. Example: A chest circumference of 96 centimeters results in size 48 for men and 42 for women.
- The height is used in the pattern design only in men considered. At Women becomes one for all sizes average height of 164 to 170 centimeters accepted. Women who fall out of the ordinary are more likely to find what they are looking for in the long or short sizes.
- Many manufacturers use for the Specification of short or long sizes the European values, which are based on clothing size. To do this, the existing clothing sizes are simply halved (results in short sizes) or doubled (long sizes). Women's trousers in a standard size 38 correspond to a short size 19 and a long size 76.
UK and USA: British / English and American sizes
- The American standard sizes will be at the Ladies from 2 (corresponds to 32) to 16 (corresponds to 46).
- TheBritish or English clothing sizes are they enough with women from standard size 6 (32) to 14 (42). These are not to be confused with the US sizes!
- Both Gentlemen, there is no difference between England and the USA. The conversion rule here is: German size minus ten - i.e. 50 - 10 = 40.
France, Italy & Spain: Different countries, different sizes, different database
- Brands from other countries lean on their national database. Scandinavian brands are often long and slim, southern European brands tend to cut rather small and delicate and manufacturers from North America prefer wider and sometimes shorter cuts.
- Also France uses, as well as Italy and Spain, its own system for size labeling. To simplify matters, we leave them out here, but national systems are always taken into account in the manufacturer's own size tables.
S-M-L: International sizes and unisex sizes
- Internationally and especially in the sports sector, the Unisex sizes with the designation S for "small" (small), M for "medium" (medium) and L for "large" (large). The addition X indicates an "extra" large or "extra" small size.
- As a rule, a German 48 corresponds to size M for men and XL for women, whereby the underlying dimensions can again be very different. An Asian M is therefore often much smaller than we are used to in Europe!
- The letter codes of the European standard 13402, a so far non-binding attempt to put the mess of measurements and labels of European dress sizes on a common basis. The measured values for women and men are almost identical within a unisex size. The lady with a chest circumference of 96 centimeters wears dress size M according to EN 13402.
Are you still looking for the right outdoor clothing for your next tour?
More size guides in Bergzeit Magazin
- Is democracy a solution to political problems?
- Will smoking really decrease my height?
- Why do companies need a loyalty strategy
- What is Inheritance Tax in Washington State
- Why do people act petty
- The Shiites pray tarawih and Friday prayers
- Why is Sriharikota famous for
- Are VoIP phones healthier than landlines?
- Like dear Spartans Apollo
- What are examples of data protection cryptocurrencies
- What are thoughts on Indira Gandhi
- Did privatization help Nigeria or did it fail?
- Why is it better to take the bus
- Is Litecoin a better investment than Bitcoin
- Will be helpful to beginners in Java books
- In which films did Donald Trump act
- How are airplanes developed?
- Where can I sell my structured billing
- What is an internal voltage EMF
- How do sound waves work
- Are basic duties justified
- How big is Facebook
- Is psychology good for PCB students
- How can you learn new qigong techniques?
- Should I negotiate on my new job?
- What is scalability
- How can I relate Aristotle and Plato
- Where can I learn to swim in Vizag
- What's your best lateral thinking question
- What is 5 64
- Why is it Lady Luck
- How do you treat early stroke symptoms
- What do Australians think of Jordan Peterson