What is unique about the Paris catacombs
Excursion to the heart of the catacombs of Paris
Paris, its most important buildings, the classic tourist tour: checked off. Do you fancy discovering the underworld, the secrets and even the phantoms of his past? Immerse yourself in its bowels 20 meters underground, for an unusual tour: the the catacombs.
Idea for an original tour
The small entrance to the catacombs is at Place Denfert-Rochereau, not far from the metro. It's discreet but well signposted. You cannot miss it: the small queue that stretches along rue Rol-Tanguy shows the way and testifies to the obvious success of this tourist attraction that has been visited for two centuries. Because every year dare to venture over 250,000 visitors of this adventure.
Attention sporty ones! If you want to reach the corridors that are 20 meters underground, you have to approx 140 steps descend. Once at the bottom, one tells Showroom the history of the catacombs and underground Paris, starting with the prehistoric era when this place was still under water.
This brief introduction immerses visitors into the extraordinary world of the catacombs. Now they are ready to be viewed! And let's go to two kilometers long Route through the historic corridors. The path is indicated by numbered labels that testify to the various periods of time during which the underground was used during the centuries. Overall, you should go for a little more than Schedule 45 minutesbut don't panic! The path is wide, clean, lighted, has high ceilings and is marked with arrows. Local employees guide visitors and answer their questions at any time.
But think of hiking boots rather than high heels in order to be able to fully enjoy your visit!
The realm of death
After about twenty minutes' walk, you will find the inscription "Stop, here begins the realm of death", which is engraved in an arch and marks the entrance to the ossuary of the Catacombs of Paris. This sets the tone! This warning is reminiscent of the instructions given at the beginning of the tour: "Not recommended for sensitive people and small children". You were warned ... Goosebumps start now and shiver, because the ossuary of Paris gathers the overabundance of the city's cemeteries emptied in the 18th century to create new graves.
Several hundred meters bones pile up along the corridors. Skulls, shins and other thighs lined up, arranged according to cemeteries, reveal themselves to the gaze of the curious who have come to admire this gruesome spectacle. You can't help but think about that already before them the greatest men of the ages jostled to visit this place. The tour of the ossuary is also included ominous messages lined with the greatest writers of the time who are set in stone.
What to remember
Crossing the catacombs - at least the small part open to the public - is more than just an unusual tour, it is the real thing Immerse yourself in the heart of the story. When you reach the exit, you think of it troubling, instructive and even a little sporty dive back with the feeling of having crossed several centuries in less than an hour.
By the way, if you get too hot during the long summer days, this descent into the underworld is very much refreshing... underground is the temperature 14 degrees, and the dampness of the corridors makes you grateful for a jacket you brought with you. To all souvenir collectors: Warning, it is forbidden, a bonein the pocketto get stuck!
Les Catacombes de Paris
1 avenue du Colonel Henri Rol-Tanguy, Paris 14th arr.
Times: Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Closed on Monday and May 1st. Last departure 19:30.
More info about: Les Catacombes de Paris
- Why is college unfairly expensive
- What are the positions in basketball
- When is avocado season in the Philippines
- What is a qualifier in C.
- Who discovered the C language 1
- What is Einstein's theory of local realism
- Can the Bahamas recover from Hurricane Dorian
- Why shouldn't margarine be used in cooking?
- Intermittent fasting reduces lower abdominal fat
- What is the full form of 2FA
- How long have you been an alcoholic
- Why do people hate Dave Matthews Band
- Are there religious INTPs
- Are there any IT jobs in Indonesia
- Why can't criticism get people any further?
- What are the resting poses in yoga
- The SAT Math Level 1 is difficult
- What if a dead snake bites you
- Are you a negative or positive person
- How much does a phase shifting transformer cost
- What will be the mindset while studying
- What is Sketchy Taco Bell or Chipotle
- Why is democracy so widespread in governments?
- Why do horror films have a bad ending