Scientific researchers are unfortunate people
Teenagers: The more time they spend on their smartphones, the more unhappy
Young people who spend a lot of time on smartphones, tablets or computers are, on average, less satisfied. This is what a team around the psychologist Jean M. Twenge from San Diego State University reports in the specialist magazine "Emotion". The researchers analyzed data from a large US longitudinal study that included more than one million teenagers in grades 8, 10, and 12. The test persons were asked about technology usage behavior and leisure activities as well as how satisfied they felt with their life overall.
Young people who often squatted in front of the screen - be it to play computer games, chat or surf on social networks - were less happy as a result than their peers who preferred to read books, play sports or meet their friends face to face. The happiest teenagers in the sample spent a little less than an hour a day in the digital world. In addition, the longer participants used mobile devices and computers, the more unhappy they were. Twenge therefore advises limiting digital media consumption to two hours a day.
This article is included in Spectrum - The Week, 04/2018
Whether the use of smartphones and the like actually makes you unhappy or, conversely, whether dissatisfied people rather flee into the digital world cannot be judged on the basis of the data. Jean Twenge, however, guesses the former. "Although our study cannot reveal any causal relationships, other studies suggest, for example, that increased use of social media leads to more dissatisfaction, but dissatisfaction does not necessarily lead to increased use of social networks."
In the past, scientists have repeatedly come across a connection between life satisfaction and digital media use. For example, Danish researchers discovered in 2016 that their test subjects were happier if they were prescribed a break from Facebook.
- What new processes at work have failed
- Which word could change your life?
- What software is used for seismic analysis
- What is good for a cat
- How is silicon used in the electronics industry
- What are the best wearable technology blogs
- How can I learn Visual C ++
- Is there any exterior automobile design
- What are some dissertation topics in business
- Women view nice men as dangerous
- How does the artificial automatic generation of stories work?
- Uses Facebook code MVC
- PUBG players can expect PUBG 2
- Who is the best playmaker ever
- What is your favorite television series
- Does the Indian economy affect the international market
- How did science lead you to Islam
- Christmas trees can kill cats
- What are your favorite French audio podcasts
- What is the stock curve from a portfolio
- How are navigation voice overs recorded
- What sounds revolutionized the recording and production of music
- All women think the same thing 1
- How many YouTubers are there in Spain
- How not hierarchical is the Israeli military
- How are convex mirrors used?
- Which operating system does Messe Muenchen use
- What problems do students have in NIT Rourkela
- Why are fountain pens making a comeback?
- What would Satan think of Satanists?
- What is the Cisco Networking Academy about
- How should I simplify the annual financial statements
- What made the Grateful Dead so special
- What is the policy of the Armys Combat Shirts