Hitting submarines whales
Killer whale hunting techniques
Again and again the orcas in the Antarctic had circled this darned ice floe on which a seal had taken refuge. So how do you grab the delicacy? Wait for the seal to come down? That could take forever. Tip over or break the clod? It was too big for that. Finally the whales tried a trick: individual animals swam towards the floe to create a wave. It actually spilled over the ice and washed the seal towards the edge.
Close and ever closer to the edge. But the seal could still hold up. Until the orcas improved their technique: At the command of an orca, four shot at it side by side - like a wall of bodies. This made the wave so huge that it pushed the seal off the floe like a beach ball.
Big killer whales, as the orcas are also called because of their powerful dorsal fin, almost always get what they want. Researchers are often amazed at how resourcefully the up to nine meters long and nine tons heavy powerhouses hunt their prey:
Hunting technique 1: The karate strike
The technique for killing sharks consists of two parts: First, the orca swims under the shark and flaps its tail fin to create a vortex. This drives the shark to the surface of the water. There the victim gets a blow on the body, which numbs him and makes him defenseless.
Hunting technique 2: making the wave
Whales in Antarctica use this technique to catch seals or penguins that have taken refuge on an ice floe. At the command of an orca, other animals in the group swim side by side towards the piece of ice. They create a large wave that washes down the seal. On the other side, another whale from the team is waiting to grab the prey before it can escape.
Hunting technique 3: lay out the bait
Captive orcas have come up with a completely new trick: the killer whale lets pieces of fish float on the water and waits quietly below the surface. As soon as a bird lands to get the treat, it snaps.
Hunting technique 4: Use your own stamina
Bluefin tuna cannot catch orcas with a direct attack. You are too quick and agile. The whales therefore first rush them in front of them in a group until the speedsters are at the end of their tether after half an hour.
Hunting technique 5: Create a dead end
This is a trick killer whales like to use to hunt seals in Argentina. The robbers drive their prey towards the flat bank, where it cannot escape down below. When the seal tries to flee on land, it is stopped for a moment in the surf by the returning water. That's enough for the whale to catch the seal. This trick takes a lot of practice - otherwise the hunter will be stranded on the bank and perish there.
Hunting technique 6: Dip whales
In the group, the large killer whales can even kill much larger gray or blue whales. First an animal is separated from its group, then the hunters take turns swimming over their prey and pushing it under water until it drowns.
Hunting technique 7: Start a fish carousel
Orcas love herrings. The problem: In large schools, the fish shoot up so quickly that the hunters cannot catch some of them. The whales therefore first separate part of the swarm and drive it to the surface, where it cannot escape.
Then they circle the prey and drive the fish even closer together. Finally, a whale hits the fish package with its tail fin. The animals hit sink down in a daze, where other orcas pick them up.
Profile: killer whale
- Scientific name: Orcinus orca
- Size: over 9 meters long
- Weight: up to 10 tons
- Lifespan: up to 50 years
- Habitat: all oceans
- Diet: fish-eaters, mammal-eaters, fish, seals, penguins, other whales
More about the killer whale:#Subjects
- What are the benefits of being Swedish?
- Where is the US mainland located
- People who become Scientologists are impressionable people
- Is sodium carbonate a basic salt
- How can I be more specific
- Which ECE field has more employment opportunities?
- How does the genitive arise in Swedish
- Can we treat dry hair with serum?
- Why is immigration good for the UK?
- How exactly does a bank account work
- How do I search in Regedit
- Pack soil when planting
- What is objectivist philosophy research
- What was your favorite movie in 2017
- What are some global problems
- Why is Donald Trump a complete idiot
- What is your rating of brain training
- Is there an Android data app
- What does LMAO LOL PS etc.
- How big is the pharmaceutical industry
- Who is the Greek goddess of animals
- What made Aquaman a good film
- Schools in Israel use English
- What are medical imaging techniques
- What's up with Ramanand Sagar Ramayan
- What resources are people very wasteful with
- Can sertraline be taken by children
- Which country starts with the letter G.
- How much does web pay per hour
- Does the weight influence the speed
- How do I integrate Antibot Captcha links
- Are Colombian boys big or small?