What does audio 1
5.1 or 7.1? Which sound system is right for me?
Audibly better sound or costly gimmicks - opinions differ on the question of whether it should be 5.1 or 7.1 in the home theater. In fact, there are a number of things to consider when answering this question. We go through point by point and clarify when 7.1 can be worthwhile and when it is better to stick with the smaller solution.
5.1 or 7.1 - these are the differences in the list
In one case the home theater system consists of 6 and in the other case of 8 speakers. With the 7.1 configuration, two additional surround speakers are set up or mounted behind the seating or listening area - often Surround backs called. That is already a important purchase criterion mentioned: Can the two surround backs be accommodated in the living room?
General judgments about the minimum room size are difficult, because a lot depends on the room conditions and the equipment. A 7.1 sound system usually only achieves audible sound improvements from one Room size of more than 30 m2.
Like the satellites on the side, the surround backs are installed at least at head height. In most cases, wall or ceiling mounting is therefore an option. It is important that they are not mounted too close to the seating area. Otherwise the surround sound will suffer rather than improve. In addition, there should be around 10 cm of space between the speakers and the wall.
For the remaining channels with subwoofer, front loudspeakers (center and main loudspeakers) and the side surround loudspeakers, the same rules apply to 5.1 and 7.1 sound systems: The loudspeakers should be aligned with the listening area and positioned as symmetrically as possible to one another. You can find detailed information here Installation tips.
The requirements for the AV receiver
The AV receiver must support the available speaker channels. For this, corresponding outputs on the receiver are necessary for the "discrete" speaker channels.
You can use a 7.1 receiver use it without hesitationto power a 5.1 configuration. The outputs for Surround backs then remain unused. Some receivers automatically recognize that the two channels are not used for 7.1, with others you have to set this in the menu first.
Quite relevant for the purchase decision: 7.1 receivers cost more than devices that only support 5.1. In return, you usually get a high-quality receiver with a good amplifier and sufficient connection options.
How important are genuine 7.1 audio sources?
You should be prepared for the fact that numerous Blu-rays do not support 7.1 sound - at least in the German soundtrack. If there is no 7.1 sound, it means that the sound engineers did not mix separate soundtracks for the two rear speakers. With newer films, however, you will occasionally come across 7.1 formats. Examples of these formats are:
However, this does not mean that the two surround backs inevitably remain mute with sound that has been mixed for 5.1. Both Dolby and DTS have developed codecs that distribute the existing audio information to the two rear speakers. Examples of such surround sound polishers are Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS-Neo 6.
Buying tip: If you want to drive a 7.1 system, make sure that the receiver supports 7.1 refurbishers.
Home theater systems from Teufel
Does a lot help a lot? Is 7.1 really audibly better?
What can you look forward to with the two additional surround speakers in your back? In any case, you come a little closer to the goal of enveloping, differentiated and authentic surround sound. A clear improvement can be heard, especially when there is sound material that was produced specifically for this installation. The prerequisite for this, however, is that the home cinema offers the necessary space for a 7.1 sound system. If you squeeze a 7.1 system into a small room, you may even achieve a worse effect than with 5.1.
5.1 or 7.1 - Teufel makes the decision easy
The right speakers for every home theater - our speaker range with micro speakers, thin column speakers and powerful floorstanding speakers is designed for all room sizes and conditions.
- ▶ That Cubycon set is a ready-to-play complete system with AV receiver. The 5 loudspeaker channels are represented by compact and easy-to-install micro-loudspeakers (integrated keyhole bracket). Thanks to its flat housing, the Sub can easily be accommodated under the sofa or TV cabinet.
- ▶ LT 4 5.1-Set M: This 5.1 system is elegant cast in aluminum. As the main loudspeakers to the left and right of the television, high-end column loudspeakers create a breathtakingly differentiated soundscape. Identical 3-way loudspeakers without a raised column serve as surround satellites.
- ▶ Definion 3 Surround No task is too big for this 5.1 set - it is one of the best that can be found on the market. High-end floorstanding loudspeakers with a coaxial design radiate the sound almost point-like and thus achieve an absolutely authentic sound image. In addition, 3-way satellites deliver precise sound effects and the 150 watt sub provides impressive power.
- ▶ 7.1 sound systems from Teufel: At Teufel, the undecided have an easy time - because our 7.1 systems are available as expansion sets. If you are unsure, you can start with 5.1 and increase it later if necessary.
- ▶ All 5.1 sound systems at a glance
For a full overview: Click here for the big one Home theater comparison.
More loudspeakers from Teufel
Conclusion: 5.1 or 7.1 is primarily a question of space
- 5.1 systems create a spatially well-defined home cinema sound in both small and large rooms of over 30 m2.
- The two additional surround backs of a 7.1 system improve the surround sound and increase the precision of the surround effects
- As a rule, sound improvements can be achieved with 7.1 from a room size of 30 m2.
- Not all films are mixed for 7.1. Codecs such as Dolby Pro Logic IIx, however, prepare sound for 7.1 systems, which was originally mixed for 5.1, by forwarding the sound information to the two rear speakers.
- 7.1 means higher costs when purchasing speakers and AV receivers.
- Why do people want to know things
- Are online courses technically protected by copyright?
- Did Buddha miss his family
- How is dating in Vancouver
- Why is Heathrow Airport so crowded
- Are DC fans better than Marvel fans
- Besides his influence, Bob Dylan is overrated
- The word Magnat is plural
- How does Flipmass work
- Is the intelligence overrated
- What are data science ML and AI
- A management degree after language certification is required
- What's in a name 1
- What are the best SLA 3D printers
- What is pure psychology
- Where can I buy a Hydra waterproof coating
- Which side can I play a game on
- What are countries with top entertainment industries
- How often does a hummingbird eat
- Is it still worth buying the Korg AX300G
- Assistive technology is helpful for seniors
- What are some unnecessarily detailed Wikipedia articles
- How do I learn to make dentures
- When and why was Voyager launched
- How to Draw Equations in Matlab
- Which songs help you deal with bipolar
- What is the theory of d separation
- Which book is considered an American classic
- When was there no technology?
- What is the nutritional profile of crickets
- Should the UFC stop testing for steroids
- Does someone like to sleep with shoes on?
- How do you build a controller
- How do I understand flowcharts