What went wrong with Kallada

Charter sailors dismasted in front of Terschelling
(28.09.12) On 30.9. Both masts broke on the Dutch charter sailor "Jacob Meetermined", 90 GT (MMSI-No .: 244006000), in stormy seas off Terschelling. The ship was on its way from Kiel to Rotterdam. Both masts went overboard, people were not harmed. The 40-meter-long two-master was however unable to maneuver and asked for help from the KNRM and the salvor from Noordgat. The masts hanging in the water were secured alongside and the heavily damaged topsail schooner was then brought in to Harlingen. People weren't hurt. The former icebreaker tug was bought by Willem Sligting in 1988 and converted in Gdansk. It is 38 meters long, 7.3 meters wide and has a draft of 2.5 meters. The sail area of ​​the ship, which is approved for 40 people, is 630 square meters. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

MSC Flaminia is being discharged
(Photo: Havariekommando) Click to enlarge!
Unloading of the "MSC Flaminia" has started
(28.09.12) On the morning of 28.9. unloading work on the "MSC Flaminia" in Wilhelmshaven started at 9:15 am. After the shipping company had signed all the necessary contracts with disposal and unloading companies, the disposal and unloading work of the ship could begin. The superstructure was cleaned on September 27th. finished, they could now be obtained. Around 80 undamaged containers were unloaded during the day, including dangerous goods containers.
The unloaded containers will be checked by cargo and insurance experts in the next week. Contrary to what was initially planned, unloading began with the undamaged containers aft of the superstructure because the transport and cleaning tubs for the damaged containers were not yet on site and the unloading work should not be delayed. As soon as the corresponding device, some of which had to be specially made, was on site and the storage areas were prepared, the Germanischer Lloyd unloading concept should continue to be used.
In order to ensure the stability of the ship, both the container and the fire fighting water had to be taken from board. Priority was given to the containers in which an elevated temperature was determined. This was followed by the dangerous goods containers. In parallel to the unloading and disposal work, daily measurements were still carried out on the ship in order to be able to react immediately to changes.
The work should not pose any danger to people or the environment, it said on September 27th. in the Lower Saxony state parliament, in which the salvage work was discussed. The state government was commissioned by all parties to research why the rescue of the "MSC Flaminia" had worked out this way. The politicians called for a binding emergency concept at European level. In addition to the planned discharge, poisonous extinguishing water will soon also have to be pumped out. The corresponding contracts with specialist companies for unloading and disposal should be signed as soon as possible. A list of the full load will also be published in the coming days. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Costa Concordia (Photo: Webcam Giglio) Large picture click!
Crew of the "Costa Concordia" named Seafarer of the Year "
(28.09.12) The crew of the Italian cruise ship "Costa Concordia" has been awarded the "Seafarer of the Year" prize by an international team of experts, which honors heroic deeds in the shipping sector. Like Costa Crociere on September 27th. announced, the experts from Lloyd's List highlighted the courage and professional behavior that the crew had shown in rescuing thousands of passengers. The experts, who had prepared an expert opinion on the circumstances on board the ship on behalf of the investigating magistrate of the Tuscan city of Grosseto, complained, however, that the crew of the cruise ship was not prepared to cope with the emergency. Most of the members of the crew with key assignments would not have known their tasks in an emergency. Some crew members were also given orders for crisis situations without having been adequately trained. Not all crew members were able to understand the emergency instructions in their working language, Italian. The next date for the preservation of evidence is scheduled for October 15 in Grosseto. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

650 tons of steel flown by Rena
(09/28/12) By the end of September, over 650 tons of steel had been welded from the bow of the "Rena" and flown ashore by a McDermott Aviation Bell 214 heavy lift helicopter. The next task is to disassemble the submerged parts. The diving barge "RMG 280" in Tauranga is currently being equipped for this task, and a first diving team is on site. In the past seven days, a team of New Zealand divers, commissioned by Braemar Howells, has caged 81 more tons of debris from the ocean floor aboard the Tasman Challenger. They worked under often difficult circumstances at depths of 30 meters with often strong currents, which repeatedly carry debris to the surrounding beaches. Braemar Howells has recovered several hundred tons so far. From the cargo of the "Rena" there are currently around 360 containers on the seabed or in the wreck. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Sunken tanker wrecked off Guangdong
(09/28/12) After six months of work there is nothing left of the wreck of the South Korean tanker "Kenos Athena", 4699 GT (IMO-No .: 8419049), and then sank on the drive from Ulsan to Zhuhai off the coast of southern China's Guangdong Province. This gave on September 27th. known by the Guangdong Maritime Safety Administration. The wreck was on the seabed 4.1 miles from Shanwei. Before the evacuation, the cargo of 7,000 tons of sulfuric acid had to be pumped out. The costs for the recovery are to be borne by the South Korean side. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Chemical tanker "CT Longford" demolished pier and sank dolphins in Brunsbüttel
(28.09.12) On the voyage from Colon to Porvoo, the Maltese tanker "CT Longford", 6764 GT (IMO: 9393072), collided with the pier of the Sasol company and a 9-sea dolphin in Brunsbüttel on 27.09.2012 at around 7.30 am - and shipping office. The tanker was loaded with around 8000 tons of ethanol on its way from Peru to Finland. After leaving the Great North Lock in the direction of Kiel, the ship began turning to port and collided with the discharge pier on the north side of the inland port. The eastern area of ​​the facility was badly damaged, and the dolphin of the Waterways and Shipping Office was pushed completely under water. The chemical tanker was damaged in the forecastle area on both sides above the waterline. After the collision, the tanker hauled up to the naval albums on the south side of the canal. The responsible ship safety department has issued a ban on driving. The ship now had to be examined by experts. Divers should also be used for this purpose. According to initial investigations by the waterway police, problems with switching the ship's controls from starboard wing to center operation were the cause of the collision. Nobody was injured in the accident and no pollutants were released. The investigations of the Brunsbüttel water police continued. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

No other rescuer for the "Velero"
(Sep 28, 2012) The 49-foot two-masted Velero in front of Kalepolepo Beach Park in South Maui began to break apart under the hammering of the surf while the Department of Land and Natural Resources was still struggling, a company for the complicated recovery to find. The ship was on 28.8. walked onto a reef off Kihei. It wasn't insured. The boat has a cement hull, which makes it difficult to evacuate and increases the costs. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Fire on freighter off Mozambique
(09/28/12) The Antigua Barbuda flagged freighter "Everton" radioed on 09/26. At 1:14 a.m. at position 20-20 S 037-58 O emergency calls after a fire broke out on board the day before in the Mozambique Strait. The ship had a crew of 16. After the fire severely damaged the engine room, the bridge and the superstructure, she was without food or fresh water. Communication was only possible with a handheld radio. The car transporter "Morning Crown" (IMO-No .: 9285641) provided the men with everything they needed for life. Three salvage tugs set course for the damaged vessel. On September 26th The freighter drifted at 0347 on position 20 19 S 037 57 O with a drift of 1.8 knots and a course of 311 degrees. The "Everton" was on the voyage from Pemba, Mozambique, to Mitsamudu on the Komoron. The crew consisted of Filipinos, Russians and Ukrainians. The "Everton", 8874 tdw (ex "Jan", ex "OXL Nomad"; IMO-No .: 9169823), has a container capacity of 544 TEU, was built in 1997 and is the manager of the Greek Multibulk Marine Management. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

One dead and two injured in a freighter fire
(28.09.12) On 29.9. A fire broke out on the Taiwan-flagged freighter "Shun Cheng", 6568 GT (IMO No .: 9152806), near Hon Dau Island in Hai Phong City. It was caused by welding sparks during repair work. One crew member was killed and two of the six Taiwanese who were on board while the ship was anchored near Hon Dau were injured. Local coast guard units were on site with 11 men and two boats. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Burning freighter evacuated off Japan
(09/28/12) The 12-person Chinese crew of the Panama-flagged freighter "Hao Han", 1999 GT (IMO-No .: 9310329), was killed on the night of 09/28. rescued after their ship caught fire around 9 p.m. in Osaka Bay about 10 kilometers from Izumiotsu City in Osaka Prefecture. After unsuccessful attempts to extinguish the fire, the seafarers were evacuated by Japanese Coast Guard patrol boats. Nobody was harmed. The freighter, which was on its way to China with a load of around 1,000 tons of scrap steel, was still burning around noon. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Demolished wooden walkway (Photo: Teddy Drege) Click to enlarge!
Ferry demolished wooden pier
(27.09.12) The Norwegian ferry "Sykkylvsfjord", 765 GT (IMO-No .: 7405924), rammed on the morning of 27.9. around seven o'clock the wooden pier of the jetty in Stranda. There was a loud bang, pieces of wood flew through the air, and the pier was dented. The passengers were shocked, but otherwise remained unharmed. The ferry had just come in from Liabygda. Shortly before the impact, a crew member warned the passengers that they should move away from the cars. After the collision, the ferry was able to free itself again. Since only the bow ramp could be opened, the cars had to turn. The captain spoke of a technical problem; one of the propellers had not worked. The police started investigations and the ferry service was suspended until further notice. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

"Dresden" stuck (Photo: Sandra Ditscher) Big picture click!
Tanker could be stuck on the Rhine for even longer
(27.09.12) The German inland tanker "Dresden", 1858 ts (EU-No .: 04032480) loaded with 1528 tons of heating oil, which was released on the evening of 25.9. ran aground on the Rhine between Oestrich and Ingelheim, may have to spend several more days there.
Several attempts to drag him free had failed. The ship remained sitting on the sandy but firm ground. Now it has to be partially unloaded, but the responsible water and shipping authority in Bingen has only found a possible lighter tanker, which was released on September 29th. could be on site to pump out the heavy fuel oil.
The search for a tanker closer to home was still ongoing. The ship had gotten out of the fairway because of a turning maneuver in search of an anchorage for the night. The tanker, which was built in 1992 and is almost 100 meters long, had already got stuck in 2008 not far from the current stranding point. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Bulkcarrier decelerates
(27.09.12) The Liberian freighter "Samos Legend" suffered engine damage in the South Atlantic on its way from Santos, Brazil, to Pyeongtaek, South Korea. The ship moved on September 25th. with five knots left to position 33 00 S 007 09 O. The "Samos Legend", 70231 tdw (IMO-No .: 9105891) was built in 1996 and is the manager of the Greek Samos Island Maritime Co. Ltd. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Crack in diesel tank caused oil spill
(09/27/12) The Coast Guard and the Washington Department of Ecology were on September 26th. deployed after a diesel oil spill occurred on the Columbia River near Longview, Washington. On the 100-foot-long former fishing vessel "Tiffany", which was moored on the south side of Lord Island about four miles below Longview, diesel leaked from a crack in a fuel tank in the port bow. A film of oil stretched half a mile on the Oregon side of the river. The Coast Guard Columbia River commissioned the Cowlitz Clean Sweep to lay out an oil barrier and to check how much oil was on board. At 3:10 p.m. the leak was sealed. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Were passengers trapped in cars on board the sinking Bahuga Jaya?
(27.09.12) On 27.9. the search for possible further victims of the sinking of the Indonesian ferry "Bahuga Jaya", 3972 GT (IMO-No .: 7206392), continued. It was feared that people might have been locked in their cars. Most of the eight fatalities, including a 10-year-old girl, drowned from jumping into the sea without life jackets and unable to swim. Over 210 passengers and crew members were rescued after the accident. The passenger and cargo manifest identified 213 passengers and crew members and 78 vehicles. The ship, built in 1972, was approved for 300 passengers and 70 vehicles. But passenger lists are often not reliable in Indonesia. A search of the wreck by divers is difficult because it is 90 meters deep on the ocean floor. The collision with the Singapore-flagged tanker "Norgas Cathinka" 8331 GT (IMO-No .: 9370654) occurred 40 minutes after the start of the one and a half hour ferry crossing from Java to Sumatra on September 26th. Occurred at 5:30 a.m. four miles from Bakaheuni in Lampung Province. The ship sank 20 minutes after sending out a distress signal. 10 merchant ships immediately set course for the site of the accident and began rescuing the castaways. Over 80 of them were hospitalized, at least one of them in critical condition. Two helicopters and two ships were also in use.
A team of experts has meanwhile been set out to check the tanker "Norgas Cathinka" for leaks. She anchored off Bakauheni, where the Coast Guard went on board for investigations. The seaworthiness of the ship must now be confirmed before it can be moved to a safe berth, where further investigations will then take place. The captain confirmed that the ship was damaged but had not suffered water ingress and that the propylene cargo was safe. The Norwegian Norgas Carriers sent representatives to Indonesia and promised full cooperation with the authorities. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Coast guard boats collided in Aegean Sea
(27.09.12) Two patrol boats of the Greek and Turkish coast guards are on September 26th. collided not far from the Greek island of Farmakonisi in the East Aegean. According to the Greek Foreign Ministry, the clash was caused by dangerous maneuvers by the Turkish boat. Then the Greek boat was on patrol in the East Aegean with a Slovenian patrol boat. Then a Turkish coast guard boat asked the Slovenian boat to leave Turkey's waters. The Greek boat then pointed out to the Turkish that Farmakonisi was a Greek island. Then the Turkish boat tried, ultimately successfully, to ram the Greek one. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Still hot load on "MSC Flaminia"
(09/27/12) The cleaning work on the "MSC Flaminia" in Wilhelmshaven made progress, but parts of the holds are still very hot. There were still 153 containers with dangerous goods on board. Several heated containers filled with paper rolls have to be constantly cooled. In addition to the planned discharge, poisonous extinguishing water will soon also have to be pumped out. The corresponding contracts with specialist companies for unloading and disposal should be signed as soon as possible. A list of the full load will also be published in the coming days. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Fire on Australian submarine quickly extinguished
(27.09.12) on 15.9. A fire broke out on an Australian Collins-class submarine while sailing above the sea. Diesel had leaked from its two main engines and hit heated pipes, causing a small fire. The machine was switched off immediately and the fire was extinguished with a hand extinguisher. The boat continued its journey to the port, where an investigation was being carried out. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Fishing cutter went up in flames
(27.09.12) The 45 foot long motor yacht "Escort" of the type Christ Craft went on the 26th of September. up in flames in Harbor Islan, San Diego.The owner of the fishing trawler, built in 1974, had been working on board around 11 a.m. When he disembarked for a few minutes, a fire broke out on the vehicle lying at the Marina Cortez, which spread over the entire ship until the fire brigade and police arrived. Two neighboring berths were hastily removed before the fire damaged them too badly, and 30 minutes later the flames were extinguished. The damage was around $ 600,000 to the boat, $ 30,000 to the marina and $ 50,000 each to the two neighboring boats. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Fire on oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico extinguished after 1.5 hours
(09/27/12) An oil and gas platform from W & T Offshore got hit on 09/25. around 10 a.m. on fire in the Gulf of Mexico. A light film of oil spread over the water after around two barrels of oil had escaped, but evaporated in the course of the afternoon. Three workers were rescued by the Coast Guard and one was hospitalized with minor injuries. The fire was extinguished after an hour and a half. It was caused by a leaky connection. After the repair, the platform should go back into production. The Ship Shoal 233 B platform stands at 128 feet approximately 30 miles south of Louisiana. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Cutter capsized off Glénan
(09/27/12) The RNLI came on 09/18. to help a wrecked pilot boat in Bideford. A machine on the "Two Rivers 2" was overheating when the port captain was about to bring the Antiguan freighter "Baltic Carrier" to Bideford quay. The Appledore lifeboat came to the rescue and first put the pilot across so that the ship could enter. But the ebb current caused the anchored pilot boat to drift, so that it had to be towed by the lifeboat. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

The end of the historic cutter is imminent
(26.09.12) on 25.9. Did divers of the N.C. Underwater Archeology Branch, which is part of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources belongs to the wreck of the "Queen Anne's Revenge" in Beaufort Inlet. They were the third of a total of eight weeks on a diving expedition to the wreck of the pirate Blackbeard, whose ship sank off Fort Macon in 1718 and was rediscovered in 1996. The ship is at a depth of 25 feet. The underwater archaeologists have already recovered thousands of artifacts, including several cannons, the ship's bell and anchor, as well as ballast stones and fossils with smaller objects such as cannonballs, and excavated more than 50 percent of the wreck site. By October 26th, when the expedition ends, they hope to have uncovered another 20 percent. If everything goes well, 35 percent will still be unprocessed in the fall. Currently the divers are active on the northeast side, where there are many ballast stones. This is because after being stranded, the ship thought to port before breaking apart. Large artifacts cannot be recovered at the moment because the barge of the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries is not designed for this and because there is no space for other large objects in the QAR conservation laboratory in Greenville. The current campaign is funded by the non-profit organization Friends of the Queen Anne's Revenge as well as donations and donations from private individuals and business people. After the preservation, the finds in the N.C. Maritime Museum in Beaufort. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

"Algoma Transport" on the collapsed quay
(Photo: USCG) Click to enlarge!
The quay collapsed - the freighter sits aground
(9/26/12) The Arcelor Mittal Steel cain plant in Burns Harbor, Indiana, broke on 9/25. together after the cargo stored there had started moving. Parts of the quay then collapsed and the quay wall collapsed. The Canadian bulk carrier "Algoma Transport" 23339 GT (IMO-No .: 7711737), which was moored there at the quay at the time, was pushed aground. The Coast Guard and representatives from Arcelor Mittal, Algoma Transport and a salvage inspector from the North American Navy were on site to investigate the situation and the possibilities of getting the freighter afloat. The Chicago Marine Safety Unit should then inspect the freighter. First, however, the quay had to be stabilized. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

"Kyeema Spirit" is being dragged free
(Photo: Ilmar Saabas) Big picture click!
Stranded tanker towed free off Aegna after a day
(09/26/12) The Nassau based tanker "Kyeema Spirit", 62619 GT (IMO-No .: 9171840), was launched on the morning of 09/25. towed free by the tugs "Calypso", "Artemis", "H. Kanter" and "Protector" from its stranding site 660 meters off the Estonian island of Aegna, which is 14 kilometers north of Tallinn. At 1:38 p.m. the tanker was anchored east of the island, where further measures will take place. The recovery went smoothly. The tanker ran aground at a speed of only 3.5 knots. The 2,500 tons of bunker oil on board had caused concern, which is why oil barriers were set up before the salvage and two oil combat ships were on standby. The ship was built in 1999 by Samsung Heavy Industries at their shipyard in Geoje in South Korea and put into service on June 7, 1999. It has two sister ships, the "Kiowa Spirit" and "Koa Spirit". Until 2005 the ship ran for Bona Shipholding Ltd., since then for Kyeema Spirit Holding L.C.C. The owner is the Canadian shipping company Teekay Shipping Limited. The tanker is 253.0 meters long, 44.2 meters wide and has a maximum draft of 14.619 meters with a deadweight of 113,357 tons. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Jireh is now being completely scrapped, equipment on a dump
(26.09.12) On 25.9. demolition work on the freighter "Jireh" off Mona Island, Puerto Rico, continued. Large pieces of steel were loaded onto a barge and taken to Mayaguez, where the Resolve Marine Group cut them into smaller pieces that are then transported away for recycling. The work was on September 12th. resumed after the hull was found to be too badly damaged to make it buoyant. The demolition work should take 3-4 weeks. Once this has been completed, the Natural Resource Trustees are to restore the stranding site. So far, 176 tons of steel have been removed. The aft ship and engine of the 500-tonner are to be cleared within 7-10 days. In addition, 20 tons of interior debris was brought to Mayaguez, which was then transported to Aqua Clean Ships Caribe, Inc. for disposal at a garbage dump in Ponce, Puerto Rico. In the meantime, a start has been made to relocate around 1,000 corals that had been transplanted in anticipation of salvage. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Freighter back to anchor position after being stranded
(26.09.12) The Brazilian freighter "Login Santos" 15509 GT (IMO-No .: 9082829), anchored again after being stranded off Rio Grande for further repair of the main engine. During this work, the ship was on 19.9. got into action in gusts of wind of up to 120 km / h and drifted onto a beach near São José do Norte across from Rio Grande. On September 20 two tugs from Rio Grande, including the "Hercules", recovered the freighter undamaged within two hours. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Tanker run aground on the Rhine
(09/26/12) An inland tanker loaded with heating oil ran on the evening of 09/25. aground on the Rhine between Oestrich and Ingelheim. For a previously unknown cause, the ship lost its course and got stuck far outside the fairway. Two tugs did not succeed in freeing the ship that night, which was now to be partially unloaded. The Rhine did not have to be closed to shipping. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

10 years after the "Joola" sinking - the rescue demanded by relatives is not in sight
(25.09.12) Ten years ago almost 2000 people were killed off the coast of Gambia when the Senegalese ferry "Le Joola", 2087 GT, sank in a storm. Only 64 passengers survived, the culprits have not yet been determined. It was the third largest shipping disaster after the Second World War. Only the collision of the Philippine ferry "Doña Paz" with the tanker "Vector" on December 20, 1987 with a total of 4,386 fatalities and the sinking of the "Kiang Ya" with 3,520 casualties resulted in a higher number of casualties in civil marine casualties. The "Le Joola" accident has not yet been dealt with, and those responsible have not been brought to justice. On September 26th, 2002 at 1:30 pm the ferry "Joola" left the port of Ziguinchor in the Casamancel.
Along the coast, the journey went north in the direction of Gambia. On September 27th the "Le Joola" should arrive in Senegal's capital Dakar. The ferry was completely overcrowded with market vendors, tourists, schoolchildren and students who had to return to Dakar after the holidays. It was approved for a maximum of 580 people. It had just been put back into service after a long hiatus. At 10 p.m. the "Le Joola" passed the mouth of the Gambia River and got caught in a heavy storm. The overloaded ship became the plaything of meter-high waves. Panic broke out and the ship began to heel to port. Then the power went out, a little later the "Le Joola" capsized, drifted keel up in the sea for another 20 hours before finally sinking. Only 551 dead could be rescued, only 93 were identified and handed over to their relatives. The remaining bodies were buried in mass graves in newly built cemeteries.
Only 64 passengers survived the disaster. French experts found that in addition to grossly negligent overloading, the storm had played a major role, but also the fact that the "LE Joola" was not designed for use on the high seas. The main reason for the disaster, the experts named the poor maintenance of the ship by the owner - the Senegalese state. The 79 meter long ship was built in 1990 by Deutsche Schiffswerft Germersheim GmbH after its predecessor company went bankrupt in autumn 1988. In 1990 the ship was put into service as "Sangomar" and later renamed "Le Joola". It was intended for inland navigation up to 50 nautical miles off the coast, 79.5 meters long, 12.5 meters wide and approved for 550 passengers, thirteen vehicles and 250 tons of cargo.
Compensation equivalent to 15,000 euros was paid to the surviving dependents, and the "LE Joola" file was closed in the summer of 2003. It was not until three years after the accident, on November 11, 2005, that a regular shipping connection between Dakar and Casamance was reopened with the "Willis". Relatives are still calling for the wreck to be recovered from the Gambia, which would still be technically feasible. But such an operation could not be financed by the state of Senegal. The ship disintegrates and silts up on the seabed between Ziguinchor Senegal and the Casamance region. After all, a modern ferry, the "Aline Sitoe Diatta", has now been used to connect Ziguinchor and Dakar. And unlike 10 years ago, nobody can come on board without a ticket. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Tanker sunk Indonesian ferry - eight dead
(09/26/12) The Singapore flag tanker "Norgas Cathinka" 8331 GT (IMO-No .: 9370654) collided on 09/26. at 5.40 am local time in the Sunda Strait with the Indonesian ferry "Bahuga Jaya" off Sumatra not far from the port of Merak. The ferry sank, at least eight people drowned. The ship had 208 people and 78 vehicles on board. Many people came to hospitals. The tanker was also severely damaged and entered Merak. The "Bahuga Jaya" operated between Merak in West Java and Lampung in Sumatra. The accident happened when the ferry crossed the shipping lane. The Indonesian Red Cross sent a helicopter to search for more casualties. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Court of Cassation confirms judgment against Total after the "Erika" sinking
(26.09.12) Almost 13 years after the oil spill on the Atlantic coast caused by the sinking of the tanker "Erika", France's highest court has now confirmed that the energy supplier Total was complicit. After the tanker sank, an oil slick polluted 400 kilometers of the north-west coast of France, killing 150,000 seabirds. The Court of Cassation in Paris declared on 25.9. the judgment of a French court of appeal of March 2010 against Total, the Italian shipping register Rina, the shipowner Giuseppe Savarese and "Erika" owner Antonio Pollara are valid. This failed a request for revision that Total and the other three convicts had submitted. Representatives of the communities affected by the oil spill said the ruling made it clear that those responsible for oil spills could be held criminally and civilly accountable. The environmental protection organization Greenpeace was relieved by the verdict.
A total lawyer indicated that he wanted to challenge the judgment. The 25-year-old "Erika" broke up and sank in a storm in the Bay of Biscay in December 1999. Around 20,000 tons of heavy oil leaked. The "Erika" was built in 1975 by the Kasado shipyard in Kudamatsu, Japan as "Shinsei Maru". On December 12, 1999, the ship of the Italian shipowner Giuseppe Savarese, registered in Malta, was en route from Dunkirk to Livorno. With wind force ten and waves up to 14 meters high, it broke in two and sank off the Breton coast south of the port city of Brest. 17,000 tons of his cargo of 30,800 tons of oil leaked.
Before it broke up, cracks up to three meters long and 15 centimeters wide had formed in the hull of the significantly overloaded tanker, which was only allowed to load a maximum of 28,000 tons of oil. In March 2010, a French court of appeal upheld a ruling issued in 2008, according to which Total had acted negligently when chartered the ailing ship in 1999 and was therefore complicit in the oil spill.
The 180 meter long tanker was corroded by rust. Total and the Italian shipping register Rina were fined by the appellate court as in the first case with a fine of 375,000 euros each, the fine of 75,000 euros for the Italian shipowner and the "Erika" owner were also upheld. In 2010, Total was surprisingly acquitted of civil liability and thus of having to pay damages.
Total had paid 171 million euros in damages after the first proceeding and declared that it would not reclaim the money. Total took over the majority of the compensation payments totaling 200.6 million euros. The Court of Cassation has now confirmed that Total, together with the other convicts, would have to pay for the damage caused by the environmental disaster.
In the spring, the attorney general had denied that the court had jurisdiction and recommended that the 2010 judgment be annulled. He justified this with the fact that the "Erika" was registered under the flag of Malta and was sailing outside the French sea area in international waters. However, the Court of Cassation was of the opinion that the intervention of the French judiciary was covered by the international law of the sea of ​​the United Nations. French courts have jurisdiction if a tank accident pollutes French territorial waters and the French coast. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Freighter demolished 21 houses
(26.09.12) In a stormy wind, the Philippine 362-ton freighter "Tanag Tawi-Tawi" tore itself on September 24th. from Zamboanga City Wharf and damaged 21 houses standing on the shore on its drift. Most of the houses along the Barangay Mariki coast were lightweight. The landing craft "Tanag Tawi-Tawi" was lying at the private Mendiva Wharf in Rio Hondo when the cables broke. The crew tried to get the ship under control, but in the strong wind it drifted onto the bank. Tugs should now make it afloat again when the water level is high. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Wreck of a missing cutter discovered on the seabed
(09/26/12) Police divers discovered the wreck of the cutter "Governor" on 09/25. discovered. Bad weather prevented a further investigation of the ship. It was near Yates Point off the coast of Fiordland with a two man crew on 9/15. sunk. Three divers from a police unit with sonar and an ROV were able to locate the wreck on the ocean floor. After the weather improves, work should continue. So far there has been no trace of the missing crew. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Cutter capsized off Glénan
(26.09.12) The MRCC Etel started on 25.0. six miles southeast of the island of Glénan, an emergency signal from the seven-meter-long cutter "Nerée" was raised. The SNSM lifeboat from Trévignon and a search plane from Douanes went in search of the ship and its skipper. The capsized boat was soon located from the air. An EC 225 helicopter from the Lanvéoc-Poulmic naval base then ascended. At 12.40 p.m. the skipper was discovered in a life raft in the sea and brought to the hospital in Quimper at around 1 p.m. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

The end of the historic cutter is imminent
(26.09.12) In the Kewalo Basin threatened on 25.9. the 88 foot long cutter "Kula Kai" to sink. It was the last boat of its kind in Hawaii, but was no longer seaworthy and was considered abandoned. The fire brigade and harbor master tried to save it from sinking with bilge pumps and to get it into a dry dock, where it can be disposed of. It is owned by the Hawaii Community Development Authority.Preserving the ship would have cost $ 150,000, which has not yet been found, so it is likely to be scrapped. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Cutter briefly stranded
(09/26/12) The RNLI boat "Taylors" from Thurso arrived on the morning of 09/25. the British cutter "Norlan - Bf 362" (MMSI-No .: 232004190) to help, which had run in stormy seas on rocks east of the port. The "Taylors" left at 3:50 am after the 25-meter-long cutter, registered in Banff, had got stuck near Murkle in a wind force of 7-9. The foreman immediately contacted the skipper of the "Norlan", who reported that the ship had been released with the water running up. The lifeboat was there five minutes later and escorted the damaged vessel back to Scrabster Harbor, where he moored at 4.15 a.m. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Odyssey Marine increases profits by salvaging silver bars in the Atlantic
(25.09.12) Odyssey Marine Exploration reported an increase in profits of $ 26 million from the salvage of silver from the SS "Gairstoppa". The Tampa salvage company recovered 1,218 silver bars worth $ 44 million from the North Atlantic, where the ship was torpedoed by a German submarine in the 2nd World War. Bad weather has now led to an interruption of the work, which is to be continued in the 2nd quarter of 2013. Another 1,599 silver bars and other values ​​are suspected in the wreck. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

20 meter catamaran stranded in Port d'Andratx
(26.09.12) Strong gusts of wind and high waves tore off ships in the bays of Andratx and Santa Ponça on the southwest coast of Mallorca and threw them against the shore. A 20-meter-long English catamaran in Port d'Andratx drifted onto the rocks on the shore in heavy seas after it had torn from the mooring. The British couple who were on board tried in vain to tow the catamaran out of the danger zone with the help of an inflatable boat. The waves threw the sailor onto the cliffs and wedged him into the rock. Objects were washed out from inside the boat. The police cordoned off the stretch of coast because there was a risk that the mast of the catamaran would fall on the onlookers. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Inland navigation operator acquitted after fatal collision
(26.09.12) The captain of the 80 meter long barge "Moca", two women died in the collision with the yacht "Eros", was killed on 25.9. acquitted in court. The victims themselves are to be blamed for the accident, so the Brandenburg / Havel district court. The experienced professional skipper was accused of negligent homicide. On June 27, 2010, he was said to have insufficiently observed the fairway on the Schlänitzsee near Potsdam and therefore collided with the sailing boat. The skipper said the yacht had been going front right all the time. He would have seen her in time. But during an evasive maneuver with another large ship, the boat disappeared into the blind spot. According to an expert, even an emergency signal or the freighter's engine could not have prevented a collision. The skipper of the yacht should have watched the traffic from behind. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Robinetta high on dry land
(Photo: RNLI) Click to enlarge!
Stranded yacht rescued by Thirslet Spit from approaching storm
(25.09.12) on 23.9. the lifeboat "Dignity" of the West Mersea RNLI came to the rescue of the yacht "Robinetta" from Maldon. The rudder and propeller of the boat had been blocked by a line in the Blackwater Estuary and the yacht was driven aground. The boat was now sitting high and dry on the Thirslet Spit, where it was examined by the sea rescuers. They promised to come back when the tide came up. In the afternoon the weather deteriorated rapidly, which is why the Coastguard asked the sea rescuers to go on standby immediately. When the "Dignity" arrived in Thirslet, the 25-foot yacht had floated up, but had no drive due to engine failure. She was towed by the "Dignity" to a mooring in front of the Marconi Sailing Club, where the crew went ashore. The rescue had not been too early - meanwhile there was a storm at eight Beaufort. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Divers began investigating a leaked tanker off Tallinn
(25.09.12) On 25.9. salvage experts and representatives of the Teekay Shipping company from Glasgow arrived at the stranded Bahamas-flagged tanker "Kyeema Spirit", 113357 tdw (IMO-No .: 917184000), not far from the island of Ulfsö about 15 kilometers northeast of Tallinn.
After the wind subsided, divers could begin an examination of the damaged hull. Two tugs and the oil control ship "PVL 101 - General Kurvits" of the Estonian Coast Guard were on site, but there was still no salvage plan or a corresponding permit. With a draft of eight meters, the wrecked vessel sits aground at water depths between six meters at the bow and eight meters aft. Estonian shipping authorities said they followed the tanker's course and repeatedly warned the crew before it hit the road on 9/24. ran aground at 6.55 a.m.
There was also talk of a zigzag course of the ship manned by a pilot before the accident. Bad weather could also have played a role, with wind speeds of 24 meters per second, waves up to 2.3 meters high had built up. The tanker had previously been anchored and was waiting for a permit to enter Muuga. The leakage of ballast water from a leak in the fuselage was possible in the course of September 24th. being stopped. The coast guard of Finland was informed of the situation and, like the Swedish colleagues, offered help.
Three tugs left Muuga. A Swedish surveillance aircraft was over the damaged vessel around noon. No oil leaks were found. The 24-strong tanker crew was safely on board. The tanker, built in 1999, is 249 meters long, 44 meters wide and has a draft of up to 8.7 meters. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Leaked yacht on Elbe
(25.09.12) On the night of 23.9. a yacht ran aground on the Elbe. Water penetrated the hull through the damaged stern tube, whereupon the sailors asked for help over the radio. The Cuxhaven rescue cruiser "Hermann Helms" moved out, but foreman Holger Wolpers and his team no longer had to intervene, as the crew of the yacht was now able to drain their ship and keep it maneuverable. However, the cruiser escorted the boat to the Cuxhaven sailing port, where the help of the fire brigade, which had been brought in with oil barriers, was no longer needed. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Stormy weekend on the Baltic Sea - DGzRS brought help to 48 people in three missions
(25.09.12) Around 80 people on the North and Baltic Seas received from the weekend of September 22nd and 23rd. The help of the DGzRS instructed. In strong northwest winds up to seven Beaufort, vehicles with navigation problems, engine and rudder damage got into trouble. The rescue cruiser "Bremen" at the Großenbrode station was on the move for around nine hours without interruption and brought 48 people to safety in three missions alone. At about 11.45 a.m., the mast of a sailing yacht broke during a regatta off the Grossenbrode coast with north-westerly winds at seven Beaufort and heavy rain showers. With their daughter boat "Vegesack" the sea rescuers came to the aid of the four sailors on board. When the waves were 1-1.5 meters high, they brought the ship and crew safely to Großenbrode. In the meantime the fishing cutter "Antares" (MMSI no .: 211228150) west of the Flügger lighthouse had reported engine damage. Unable to maneuver, the 22-meter-long ship with 41 people on board drifted off the south coast of Fehmarn towards Fehmarnsund. The "Bremen" cast off again immediately and set course for the damaged vessel. Her daughter boat and the rescue boat "Heiligenhafen" from the station of the same name, which was requested for support, brought the cutter safely to the small port of Orth on Fehmarn. On the return voyage to Großenbrode, the "Bremen" received the third emergency call that day: the V-belt on a sailing yacht with three people on board had broken. The crew had dropped anchor off Burgtiefe. The sea rescuers hooked the boat and laid it safely on a jetty at Burgtiefe. At around 8.15 p.m., the "Bremen" made fast again at her berth in Großenbrode. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Roxy Lady towed away
(25.09.12) The 23.9. The Danish cutter "Roxy Lady - SF 250" (MMSI no .: 219567000) which ran aground at Skagen at 1.30 am could be towed free on the same day with the evening tide at 10.40 pm. He was then taken to the port of Skagen, where he was then examined for possible damage. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

The wheelhouse of the Kiel tug was demolished by a breaking hawser - the captain seriously injured
(25.09.12) On the morning of the 24.9. the captain of the Kiel emergency tug "Bülk", 263 GT (IMO-No .: 8701284), was hit by a torn off steel part of the tow rope while maneuvering and seriously injured. The "Bülk" of the Schlepp- und Fährgesellschaft Kiel (SFK) with a crew of three in action in the Holtenau lock at around 6.30 a.m. The tug was supposed to stop the 186 meter long Liberian bulk carrier "Sound Future", 18495 GT (IMO-No .: 9086538), which passed the Holtenau lock eastwards on the way from Bützfleth to Klaipeda. A part of the tow rope broke without warning. A piece of the hawser fastening was thrown into the command bridge with considerable force. The captain standing at the helm was able to evade, but suffered a fracture of his forearm. After initial on-site care, he was brought to the university hospital by the ambulance service. However, the starboard side of the command facility was totally destroyed in the accident. The tug had to be decommissioned and was then examined at the Lindenau shipyard in Kiel-Friedrichsort. The water police also imposed a ban on leaving the area until the circumstances of the accident had been clarified. The repair of the 29.9 meter long "Bülk" will take several weeks. Therefore the "Kiel" of the SFK had to step in as a replacement for the Baltic Sea emergency tug. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Spanish yacht sunk off Tasartico
(25.09.12) The Spanish yacht "Nory II", which was sailing off the coast of Tasartico in the municipality of La Aldea de San Nicolás, suffered on September 22nd. Water ingress around 11 a.m. The center for sea rescue in Santa Cruz de Tenerife sent a helicopter and a rescue ship to the disturbed after the emergency report. Even before the rescue services arrived, the crew of the "Sutileza" managed to rescue the crew of the "Nory II", which had since sunk, from the sea unharmed. The castaways were brought to Puerto de Mogán. A man had to be flown to the Doctor Negrin Hospital by helicopter because of a diabetes shock accompanied by his daughter. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Trial of fatal collision on Schlänitzsee has begun
(25.09.12) Two years after the collision of the inland vessel "Moca" with the yacht "Eros" on the Schlänitzsee near Potsdam on June 27, 2010 began on September 25th. the trial against the captain of the inland waterway vessel at the Brandenburg / Havel district court. The 80 meter long "Moca" had overrun the eight-meter yacht "Eros", which was manned by four people, two men were rescued with minor injuries, while two Thuringian women who were below deck at the time of the collision drowned because the "Eros" immediately sank. The public prosecutor's office accuses the captain from North Rhine-Westphalia of negligent homicide. According to the public prosecutor, the cause of the accident was insufficient monitoring of the route. If convicted, the person who caused the accident faces a fine or imprisonment of up to five years. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Faulty electrical system paralyzed the ferry
(25.09.12) The Finnish ferry "Mergus", 471 GT (IMO: 8324517), had to leave on September 24th. taken out of service on the Korpo-Houtskär route shortly before 10 a.m. because the on-board electrical system was damaged. The Finferries brought the "Replot 2" into service as a replacement, while the "Mergus" ran into Galtby for repairs. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Work boat sunk near Norwegian national parks
(25.09.12) on 21.9. In Bukta near Vesterøy, a work boat about 50 feet long sank on the quay. The site of the accident is on the border with the Ytre Hvaler National Park. In the meantime, diesel oil began to leak from the wreck, which was completely submerged. There were around 100 liters on board. Most of it could be caught. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Steel Ray Salvaging Corp. dismantled parts of stranded freighter
(25.09.12) on 22.9. began rescue work on the freighter "Ever Transport III", which was stranded on the voyage to Mindanao on December 17th, 2011 in the tropical storm Sendong off Dumaguete City. 37 people were saved afterwards. The "Hamako II" of the Steel Ray Salvaging Corporation has started to dismantle parts of the wreck. The company won the tender, but operations were then stopped due to insufficient equipment. The work includes dismantling the wheelhouse and its fittings and cutting open parts of the hull so that the salvage teams can access the cargo. If possible, an attempt should be made to get the whole ship buoyant and to tow it to a shipyard in Cebu. The Dumaguete Coast Guard has Steel Ray until October 5th. Given time, otherwise a new permit must be obtained from the Coast Guard Center in Manila. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Too good catch to blame for fatal cutter accident
(25.09.12) The investigation report on the sinking of the cutter "Stabukk" south of Karmøy on 28.2. has now been completed and published. The weight of the catch then caused the ship's sinking, the skipper of which was killed. The crew of two had pulled a good catch on board the 27-foot ship. It was decided to heave the bulging net and to cut the rest of the nets so that the ship, which was deep in the water, would then set course on the lines. The weight of the fisherman and the net made it heel to port and waves crashed over the hull. There was also water ingress through a hole in an old fuel pipe. Both bilge pumps started, but then failed. Then, just 15 meters from a pier, the engine failed and the boat drifted out onto the open water again. The two fishermen decided to swim overboard. But only one of them reached the bank, the other from Skudeneshavn drowned. The investigation report showed that the "Stabukk" was an aging cutter which was mostly operated as a pleasure craft and no longer complied with the regulations for commercial ships. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Norwegian rescue cruiser underway in two cases of smoke formation
(25.09.12) on 24.9. at 12.20 p.m. smoke developed on a pleasure craft near Hordnes in Fana. The fire brigade moved out of Laksevåg in a fire boat, as did the rescue cruiser. "Kristian Gerhard Jebsen". The 230-foot cabin cruiser was drifting in the Fanafjord. Apparently the engine had overheated, causing smoke to develop. The skipper had saved himself on deck. The "Kristian Gerhard Jebsen" towed the motorboat and at 1:45 pm the situation was under control. A Sea King helicopter from Ørlandet was alerted after a cutter off Averøy also reported smoke. The rescue cruiser "Erik Bye" also set course for the ship. The smoke stopped after the engine was switched off. The skipper was unharmed and the "Erik Bye" was towing the cutter. <>Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Divers cut up Rena Bug
(25.09.12) The salvage work on the bow of the "Rena" is entering a new phase this week. Underwater divers began cutting under the forecastle. They prepared to dismantle the bow with a cocktail of propane and oxygen to melt the metal in strips before the individual pieces were taken away in the heavy lift helicopter. The forecastle is 33 degrees starboard and the waves crashing through the numerous openings create a dangerous suction for the divers of the American rescue company Resolve, which nevertheless wants to be ready by the end of the year. If conditions allow, nine hours a day are spent on the wreck. So far, 600 tons of steel, around a third of the total, have been demolished. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Cutter sunk in Mount Vernon
(25.09.12) The US Coast Guard and the Washington Department of Ecology were announced on September 24th. alarmed after a 71-foot cutter sank not far from the Twin Bridge Marina in Mount Vernon, Washington. A film of oil was visible over the deck of the wreck. The Coast Guard hired the Global Diving and Salvage Company to clean up the oil spill. Oil barriers were deployed and divers set about stopping the oil leaks. The Swinomish Tribe Police and the fire brigade were also on site. Dar Kutter had 750 gallons of oil on board. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Roxy Lady in the surf
(Photo: Claus Carlsen) Big picture click!
Roxy Lady is sitting on the beach in front of Skagen
(24.09.12) on 23.9. at 1.30 am the Danish cutter "Roxy Lady - SF 250" (MMSI no .: 219567000) ran a few hundred meters from the western lighthouse in Skagen onto the north beach. The 31 meter long ship sat in the surf, and the crew asked for a rescue from the uncomfortable situation. Boats came to the rescue from the Skagen rescue station and brought the three fishermen to safety.As a precaution, the oil control ship "Mette Miljø" was sent to the stranding site. There were 20 cubic meters of oil in the cutter's tanks. With the night floods, an attempt should be made to get the cutter afloat again. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Three dead found after collision in the wreck of the cutter
(24.09.12) Three fishermen drowned on 23.9. after the collision of their 231-meter-long cutter with a freighter in Macau. Their bodies were on the 23.9. found inside the ship. The accident had occurred between the Macau Taipa and Sai Wa bridges the previous evening at around 10:35 p.m. shortly after the cutter left the inner harbor. Five crew members were rescued from a port administration boat that was nearby due to fireworks, and one was hospitalized with head injuries. A lifeboat, 10 other vehicles and divers were in action. Diving was made difficult by the darkness and nets floating around the wreck. The bodies were eventually discovered among rubble. The cutter was lifted by a floating crane during the day, the freighter anchored in Ilha Verde for further investigations. Both skippers were familiar with the sea area. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Reefer Vest stranded
(Image: V-V_Salyakin) Big picture click!
One dead and one missing after the sinking of the reefer ship
(09/24/12) The Russian reefer ship "Vest" sank on 09/23. around 8 p.m. in the Sea of ​​Okhotisk. The eight-person crew went into two life rafts while several ships headed for the site of the accident, which is four miles from the village of Oktyabrskiy on the west coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula. The accident was caused by a cargo spill over. One crew member was dragged dead from the sea, one missing, and eight more were recovered by the cutter "MRS-046" some time after the accident. The reefer ship had already wrecked on June 24, 2011 when she ran aground near Palana in the mouth of the Katschatka River, but could be made afloat again. The "Vest", 70 tdw (IMO-No .: 8826723) was built in 1990 and ran for Atlantica Co., Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Cutter rammed a platform in the North Sea
(24.09.12) on 23.9. The 39.5 meter long Dutch trawler "Maria - GO 20", 405 GT (IMO no .: 8811182) collided with an oil platform around 65 kilometers northwest of Den Helder at 5.30 p.m. He suffered damage to the bow above the waterline, and a tree broke. The five-man crew got away with the horror. The platform, which was unmanned and not currently in production, was undamaged after a first inspection by a helicopter. The coast guard tug "Ievoli Black" made its way to the scene of the accident and first stopped at the "Maria". Then he set course for the platform, while the "Maria" entered Scheveningen on its own, where she on 24.9. moored at 1:15 a.m. In the morning she left the port again on the course Stellendam. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

13 Japanese fishermen missing after collision
(24.09.12) on 24.9. at 02:30 hrs the Japanese tuna fisherman "Horiei Maru" collided with the Panamanian-flagged bulk carrier "Nikkei Tiger" at position 38 30 N 149 05 O, around 320 miles east of Honshu in the Pacific. The cutter sank and nine of the 22 crew members were rescued from a nearby ship. There were five Japanese and four Indonesians. A total of 17 Japanese and five Indonesians were on board. After the remaining 13, a search operation started with two Japanese Coast Guard aircraft. The bulk carrier remained undamaged, its 21-person crew unharmed. The "Nikkei Tiger", 45363 tdw (IMO-No .: 9159438), was built in 1997 and is the manager of Tamai Steamship Co. Ltd. in Japan. The "Horiei Maru", 119 gt (IMO-No .: 9218894) was built in 1999. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Cutter saved from sinking off Cape Cod
(24.09.12) The crew of the coast guard boat "Seneca" assisted on the 22nd of September. Around 10 p.m. the seven-man crew of the 79-foot-long cutter "Linda", which was in distress, about 150 miles east of Cape Cod. The fishermen had reported water ingress at 2:02 p.m. The ship could be stabilized with bilge pumps, but a life raft was made ready as a precaution. The "Seneca", an MH T 60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod and an HU-25 Falcon jet were alerted. The crew of the "Seneca" helped with the drainage and sealing of the hull and clearing up the machine. Then the "Linda" was escorted to the home port of New Bedford. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Sonar search for missing cutter
(09/24/12) A police unit has arrived in Invercargill and should be on the afternoon of 09/24. prepare a sonar search in Milford Sound for the sunken cutter "Governor" and its two-man crew. The ship is since 15.9. missing off the coast of Fiordland. It is believed to be around 50 meters deep near Yates Point. The team hopes to identify the wreck and examine it more closely with an ROV. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Fischergarn crashed the ferry
(09/24/12) After the failure of the Norwegian ferry "Fjordbas", which ran on 09/21 ran aground at around 3 p.m. in Sund, on 22.9. the passenger ferry "Snarveien" started up as a replacement ship on the Klokkarvik-Leroy-Bjelkarøy-Hjellestad route. According to previous investigations, the "Fjordbas" had not turned when entering. Large quantities of thin lines, probably remnants of fishing nets, were later found in the propeller of the ferry. Immediately after the accident, the "Lyna" ferry was deployed, but it can only take passengers. The "Snarveien" operates normally between Nested and Kleppestø. Later the "Sundferja" took over the replacement traffic, while the "Fjordbas" moored at a shipyard for a thorough inspection. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Norwegian ferry damaged due to computer error
(9/24/12) 9/24 at 4.10 am the Norwegian ferry "Fanafjord", 6904 GT (IMO-No .: 9344758), rammed the quay in Sandvikvåg as it entered. The bulbous bow of the ship was damaged, the hull should now be examined by divers. The Hordaland police questioned the crew. A computer error was probably responsible for the accident. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Fire on New Zealand ferry
(24.09.12) The 127 meter long New Zealand ferry "Discovery One" with 60 passengers on board had to be escorted to Gulf Harbor by the naval ship HMNZS "Manawanui" and the police boat "Deodar" after a fire broke out in the engine room. The rescue services were on September 23. alerted at 6:08 p.m. when the ferry was in the Rangitoto Channel. She made good progress with the remaining one machine. The passengers were brought to shore unharmed in the port. The fire brigade inspected the scene of the fire. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Tanker run aground off Tallinn
(9/24/12) 9/24 The tanker "Kyeema Spirit", 62619 GT (IMO-No .: 9171840), registered under the Bahamas flag, ran aground off the port of Tallinn from Plaquemines Parish. The unloaded ship got stuck east of Ulfsö in Estonian waters. A water ingress occurred. Three tugs and a vehicle of the Estonian Navy came to the aid of the damaged vessel. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Hatch opened under waterline - patrol boat sunk
(9/24/12) The $ 500,000 patrol boat "PAPD No. 7211" of the Port Authority Breezy Point, Queens, sank on 9/9 because a police sergeant took the advice of a civilian security advisor and opened an underwater hatch. It was like opening a car window in the car wash, it was said after the rescue of the 11-person crew. In addition to the eight-person crew, three people from Portland's Ocean Rescue Systems were on board, either rescued by a 37-foot motorboat or swimming ashore while the aluminum catamaran sank 300 yards from shore to 40 feet. Disciplinary action awaits the sergeant. The Federal Aviation Administration's boat was to be used for counter-terrorism at JFK Airport and to provide assistance in the event of an aircraft crash in Jamaica Bay. The disaster loomed when the starboard engine began to vibrate. It was assumed that driftwood or cordage had gotten into the drive. An Ocean Rescue Systems agent then ordered a nearby hatch to be opened to control this. But this was only allowed to be opened in the dry dock, it was below the waterline. The water ingress that followed could not be stopped, and within half an hour the boat had sunk. It was brought back to the surface the following day, but will have to be repaired for some time, affecting the airport's $ 100 million security system. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Sunken "Thermopylae Sierra" (Image: Isaya) Large picture click!
Case of sunken "Thermopylae Sierra" in court - crew received no wages for years
(22.09.12) The 40-person crew of the freighter "Thermopylae Sierra" (IMO: 8313075) of the Thesarco Shipping Company has brought an action against the director in front of the Colombo High Court for outstanding wages. The ship had sunk in front of Angulana, lying on the ground. The crew hadn't seen any money in three years. The Director of Merchant Shipping also asked for $ 450 million in damages for the 24,000 tons of machinery and steel in the holds. The ship is still lying out of the water with superstructures and cranes just below the coast. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Fire damage on the MSC Flaminia
(Photo: Police Stade) Click to enlarge!
Prosecutors made a picture of MSC Flaminia
(22.09.12) The Hamburg public prosecutor's office in Jade-Weser-Port on 19.09. Investigations carried out on board the "MSC Flaminia". The responsible public prosecutor was on the badly damaged ship and got a personal impression on site.
The next steps were discussed with the officers of the Stade waterway police commissioned to investigate the case, representatives of the Federal Bureau of Maritime Casualty Investigation (BSU) and the average command. The public prosecutor's proceedings are conducted under the aspects of "death investigation", "missing person" and "fire investigation": The 46-year-old Polish first officer and three Filipino seamen were seriously injured in the outbreak of the fire and the subsequent fire fighting on board.
Another sailor has since gone missing. However, after the first fire-fighting measures, the first officer died of his life-threatening injuries while on board a rescue ship. His body was autopsied in Great Britain and then taken back to his homeland, where the burial has already taken place. A 41-year-old sailor is currently lying in a Portuguese special clinic with severe burn injuries, the other two 30 and 41-year-old sailors have been released from the hospital after several days of treatment and have been able to return to their homeland.
According to what was known so far, there was no longer any hope of finding the missing 51-year-old Filipino seaman alive. Finding his body was not to be expected either. At the point where the missing person was last seen by witnesses during fire-fighting work, devastating fire damage to the ship and the containers still located there were evident.
From the on 19.09. A voluntary saliva sample was nevertheless taken in the Jade-Weser-Port daughter of the missing seaman, who was also present on site. If parts of the body are found in the course of the recovery, unloading and disposal work, the missing person can be identified by means of a DNA analysis. The data from the ship's own computer system on the "MSC Flaminia" was also backed up. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

The patrol boat became an artificial reef
(22.09.12) The Indonesian Minister of Seas and Fisheries took part in the sinking of an 87-meter-long 150-ton truck off Perbekelan in Karangasem, East Bali. It is supposed to be an artificial reef off Tulamben. It was once a patrol boat of the Department of Sea Communication and was built in Holland in 1952. It now has its last mooring 200 meters before the village of Kubu in Karangasem. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Disoriented boaters stranded twice
(22.09.12) Three motorboat drivers had to be rescued from distress twice with their "Dolphin". You were on the 19.9. leaked from Canvey Island in Essex, but ended up on the Foulness Sands 15 miles further. They called 911 and said they had no idea where they were. An RAF helicopter and lifeboats moved out and found them around 6 p.m., three hours later.
They said they were en route to Harwich, 40 miles from Canvey Island. They had no chart, radio and distress signals, but insisted on continuing the voyage. On September 20 at 3:15 p.m. they ran on rocks at Jaywick, near Clacton-on-Sea, 10 miles from their destination. The Clacton Coast Guard and lifeboats were alerted after two crewmen swam ashore. A third came to the hospital with hypothermia. He had been saved from the rocks. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Motorboat cleared from the beach
(09/22/12) The Texas General Land Office had the motorboat "Stock Picker" Bergen south of Bob Hall Pier, which had sunk off Padre Island a week earlier. A crane hid the boat from the surf. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Boat rescued off Tarpon Springs
(9/22/12) A 65 foot long boat struck on 9/21. Leak 40 miles west of Tarpon Springs. The two-man crew of the "joint venture" contacted the Coast Guard St. Petersburg at 10:25 am. A 45-foot boat from Sand Key Station and an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Clearwater Air Station were alerted. The helicopter was on site at 11:30 a.m. and dropped a lifeguard with a bilge pump. The boat from Sand Key station was on site around noon and escorted the damaged vessel to Tarpon Springs. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

The Ocean Breeze's cargo is lightened
(22.09.12) The 33,000 tons of wheat cargo of the bulk carrier "Ocean Breeze" is currently being reloaded onto the barge "Bertina" in front of San Antonio. Around 700 tons were released on September 21. cleared and brought to port. Around 12,000 tons have to be emptied before a rescue. Plans to bring the cargo to the beach with pipelines were previously discarded. The ship has been anchored since August 16. on the beach of Llolleo, meanwhile the fuel has been pumped out. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Freighter ran on rocks on maiden voyage
(09/22/12) On its maiden voyage, the Irish freighter "Huelin Dispatch" ran on 09/21. around 7 p.m. a rock 1.5 miles southwest of Alderney Island in the English Channel. After she landed on the single rock called Pierre au Vraic and had a leak in the stern area, the Alderneyer lifeboat "Roy Barker 1" came alongside within 15 minutes at 7.15 pm and stayed there while the eight-person crew investigated the damage. The water ingress was stopped quickly and the ship was released again at 7.55 p.m. It set course at half speed for Falmouth, the nearest port, for docking. The ship was chartered to the Huelin Renouf by the shipping company Allen Shipping from Dundalk and was on the route Southampton - Jersey - Guernsey - Alderney - Southampton. The Alderney lifeboat ended its mission at 8:10 p.m. The "Huelin Dispatch", 3850 tdw (IMO: 9518218) was built in 2012. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Former submarine hunter sunk
(22.09.12) The US Coast Guard rescued on the evening of September 20. the four-person crew of the cutter "Moonlight Maid" (MMSI-No .: 367479920) around 30 miles south of Resurrection Bay. The Coast Guard Anchorage was alerted at 9:01 p.m. after the 110-foot-long former submarine hunter leaked and was sinking. The crew went into a life raft in protective suits. An MH-60 Jayhawk from Kodiak located them at 10:51 p.m. He waved up the castaways and flew them to Seward. The ship had around 3,000 gallons of diesel on board. A Coast Guard helicopter should look for debris. There were wind speeds of up to 30 miles and lakes 13 feet high on site. The ship was built as the "SC 536" in 1942 at the Peterson Boat Works, Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin. It entered service as "PC 536" and was on patrol in Saipan, Tinian and Guam during World War II. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Ferry "Fjordbas" set aground
(22.09.12) The Norwegian ferry "Fjordbas" (MMSI-No .: 257218800) ran on the afternoon of the 21.9. aground in Sund. The 30 meter long ship was in use as a replacement for the "Sundferja" when she ran into the quay near the ferry quay in Bjelkerøy and also damaged a motorboat. There were two passengers and two crew members on board. The lifeboat "Gerhard Jebsen" dragged the ferry free again at 4:05 p.m. She then ran to p. Hjellestad, where the cars were taken off board before a further investigation. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Freighter did not respond to warnings - stranding off the Dardanelles
(20.09.12) The freighter "Kemal Kuru", 2544 GT (IMO-No .: 9418080), registered under the Malta flag, ran on 19.9. aground at 3.37 a.m. 0.4 miles north of Cape Çankaya. The ship had not previously responded to warnings from the traffic control center. The lifeboat "Kiyi Emiyeti 6" and the tug "Kurtama 3" were sent to the stranding point in the Dardanelles. At 4:55 p.m. the freighter was free again and continued the voyage with its 14-person crew on its own.The "Kemal Kuru", built in 2007, came with a load of steel from Sevastopol and was on its way to Porto Marghera. was expected. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Kutter threatened to run aground on Hörnum-Odde
(09/21/12) On the south coast of Sylt, on the night of 09/19. the threatening stranding of the 19-meter-long cutter "Martha Bruhns" (MMSI no .: 211586000) from Ditzum can be prevented. The cutter with a three-person crew on board threatened to run aground on the Hörnum-Odde in north-westerly winds with gusts of up to eight Beaufort and up to 74 km / h wind speed. At around 1 a.m., the crew of another fishing trawler alerted the Bremen Rescue sea emergency radio station via the international emergency and call channel 16. They reported that the "Martha Bruhns" was only drifting about a nautical mile west of the Hörnum-Odde with a net in the propeller and threatened to get caught in the surf belt. The DGzRS immediately alerted the rescue boat "Horst Heiner Kneten" at the Hörnum station and the rescue cruiser "Vormann Leiss" at the Amrum station and the "Minden" at the List station. In addition, the MRCC Bremen asked three cutters fishing nearby to help. In the meantime, the "Martha Bruhns" threw her anchor, but it did not hold. The ship continued to drift at about two knots to the southeast towards the Sylt coast and threatened to get stranded in the very strong surf there. One hour after the alarm was raised, the cutter "Thor" was the first vehicle to reach the damaged vessel. The crew managed to establish a line connection despite the difficult circumstances. The cutter thawed and dragged the "Martha Bruhns" out of the immediate danger zone. Meanwhile, a third cutter was on standby for safety reasons. Due to the very strong surf on the Hörnum-Odde, the lifeboat had to make a wide arc to get to the "Martha Bruhns". The two rescue cruisers reached the "Martha Bruhns" almost at the same time as the voluntary sea rescue workers. The net in the propeller of the cutter had come loose in the meantime while towing the "Thor". Since damage to the ship could not be ruled out at this point in time, the fishermen asked for a safety escort to Hörnum. The "Horst Heiner Kneten" and the "Vormann Leiss" brought the cutter safely into the harbor. Shortly before 5 o'clock the "Martha Bruhns" moored in Hörnum. The next day she moved to Norddeich. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Drifting freighter demolished loading facilities in Santos
(09/21/12) on 09/15 The Panamanian-flagged bulk carrier "Yusho Regulus", 39736 GT (IMO-No .: 9342841), tore itself loose in the port of Santos by the pull of the Marshall Islands-flagged bulk carrier "Coal Hunter" 43189 GT (IMO- No .: 9361196), who left the harbor for Cigading. After all cables were broken, the captain had both anchors dropped, but the stern of the ship rammed the two loaders on the quay, which were significantly damaged or destroyed in the process. The port operators then worked intensively on installing at least one loading device by September 22nd. to get repaired again. Even before the breakdown, ships had to wait around 30 days before they were allowed to enter. The "Yusho Regulus" had Santos e.g. on August 4th. reached and was on 13.9. arrived. It is currently in shed 38. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Freighter drifted onto the beach in a storm
(21.09.12) on 19.9. the Brazilian container freighter "Login Santos" ran in Rio Grande after the anchor started dragging. The accident occurred when a cyclone passed through with wind speeds of up to 108 km / h. The ship was able to be made afloat again a little later, but had suffered damage that had to be repaired before continuing. The "Login Santos", 19626 tdw (IMO-No .: 9082829) has a container capacity of 1254 TEU, was built in 1996 and is the manager of Log-in Logistica Intermodal S.A. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

Another accident with the Royal Arctic Line ship
(21.09.12) Another hardship hit the Royal Arctic Line, which was plagued by delays and breakdowns. On the 14.9. On the freighter "Nordkyn", 2503 GT (IMO-No .: 7808463), sailing under the Faroe flag. a crane accident that caused the ship to return to Aasiaat for a three-day repair. For this reason, the supply trips 12365 and 1236 to South Greenland were merged into one trip. Meanwhile, the "Mary Arctica" was still trying to catch up on the 1238 delay. It had been used on the transatlantic service as a replacement for the damaged "Vega Sagittarius". The "Irena Arctica" also fought against a delay due to the delay of the "Mary Arctica". Source: Tim Schwabedissen

1000th container of the "Rena" recovered
(21.09.12) In the past week, more than 140 tons of steel were removed from the bow of the "Rena", bringing the total amount of steel recovered to 575 tons. In the coming days, the crane barge "RMG 280", which can lift up to 40 tons, will also come to the stranding point from Tauranga. A diving team, which is to be deployed together with the crane barge, is also expected on site. At the same time, the scrapping of helicopters is to be continued. In the meantime, the Braemar / Unimar teams have recovered the 1000th container. A total of 1003 have now been brought ashore, leaving 365 on or around the wreck. The "Tasman Challenger" has on 19.9. around 40 tons of aluminum parts and heavy cables were brought ashore. So far it has transported a total of 76 tons of scrap in three trips. Source: Tim Schwabedissen

10 men saved from Masbate