What is a microprogram
Books on the subject at Amazon.de
A microprogram is a sequence of instructions (microinstructions) that can be executed by the hardware (processor).
Since the transistors of the processor only understand ON (current flows) or OFF (current interrupted), a microinstruction consists of a line of ones and zeros (binary digits = bits).
Depending on where there is a zero or a one in the line (according to the microinstruction format), certain switches are set to ON and others to OFF.
A series of such lines (microprogram) changes the state of the hardware at regular intervals (cycle).
For example, certain cables (e.g. address or data bus) are switched on or command counters (pointer that points to the address of the next command to be executed) are changed, etc.
A micro-command is executed in each cycle, i.e. 100,000 micro-commands are processed per second at 100 MHz (today there are already computers with more than one gigahertz).
3 to 6 micro-commands form a machine command (read, decode, process, write)
1 to 5 machine commands are put together to form a machine command cycle (get address for data and command, read data, decode data and command, apply command to data, save data to memory address).
Many successive machine instruction cycles form a program.
- Corruption is an integral part of the human constitution
- Teavana goes out of business
- Is there a dribbble for UX designers
- How would Karl Marx think of Quora?
- How do Nepenthes shine
- Forum Prelim's test series is good
- What are the treatments for diphtheria
- How does dry drowning work
- Is metaphor a social construct
- How will cell phones develop?
- How much do broadcast journalists earn
- Can a Caltrain conductor drive the train
- What is happening in Bolivia
- How is jealousy portrayed in The Crucible
- Math can answer almost any question
- Can Bitcoin Mining Still Be Profitable?
- What's so good about the movie Goodfellas
- What is exclusive use
- What a band is Rise Against
- What is nimbu juice
- What is the place value of 50
- Is Donald Trump an autosexual
- What is it like to be a twin
- What is a pass band