Is temazepam for anxiety
TemazepamDrug groupsBenzodiazepineTemazepam is an active ingredient from the group of benzodiazepines with a sleep-promoting and calming effect. It is used for sleep disorders and for premedication. Temazepam can be addictive and should only be taken for a short time. Possible adverse effects include fatigue, confusion, amnesia, and personality changes, among others.
Temazepam is commercially available in the form of capsules (Normison®). It has been approved in Switzerland since 1983.Structure and properties
Temazepam (C.16H13ClN2O2, Mr = 300.7 g / mol) is a white, crystalline powder that is practically insoluble in water. It is present in drugs as a racemate (hydroxyl group). Temazepam is one of the 5-aryl-1,4-benzodiazepines.
Temazepam (ATC N05CD07) has anti-anxiety, calming, sleep-inducing, antispasmodic and muscle-relaxing properties.
Mechanism of action of the benzodiazepines, click to enlarge. Illustration © PharmaWikiIndications
For the short-term treatment of sleep disorders in adults. For premedication in adults.abuse
Temazepam, like all benzodiazepines, can be misused as a sedating and relaxing intoxicant.dosage
The medicine is taken immediately, no more than 30 minutes before going to bed. The duration of the therapy should be kept as short as possible and should not exceed 4 weeks.Contraindications
- Myasthenia gravis
- Severe respiratory failure
- Sleep apnea
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Central depressant drugs and substances such as alcohol, intoxicants, psychotropic drugs, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety drugs, opioids, anti-epileptic drugs and antihistamines can increase the depressant effects of temazepam.unwanted effects
Occasionally, indigestion, muscle weakness, gait disorders, decreased libido, skin reactions, visual disturbances, drowsiness, lack of sensation, reduced ability to react, states of confusion, tiredness, headache, dizziness can occur.
Anterograde amnesia, depression, and changes in blood count are rare. Temazepam, like other benzodiazepines, can be addictive and tolerance can develop with prolonged treatment.see also
- Medicinal product information (CH)
- Dwyer R. Privileging pleasure: temazepam injection in a heroin marketplace. Int J Drug Policy, 2008, 19 (5), 367-74 Pubmed
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Fraschini F., Stankov B. Temazepam: pharmacological profile of a benzodiazepine and new trends in its clinical application. Pharmacol Res, 1993, 27 (2), 97-113 Pubmed
- Heel R.C., Brogden R.N., Speight T.M., Avery G.S. Temazepam: a review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy as an hypnotic. Drugs, 1981, 21 (5), 321-40 Pubmed
- McElnay J.C., Jones M.E., Alexander B. Temazepam (Restoril, Sandoz Pharmaceuticals). Drug Intell Clin Pharm, 1982, 16 (9), 650-6 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on April 15, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Are marijuana clinics legal in Venice Beach
- What is the most beautiful modern violin
- How wide is an eighteen-wheel truck
- Which iPad supports the Airtel 4G network?
- What is the toughest prison in history?
- How safe are smart plugs with WiFi connection
- Who invented the poutine?
- Which element has 19 electrons
- How do antihistamines reduce itching
- Is wind a supernatural phenomenon?
- What happened to Tea Party 2
- How do Californians differ from Neuenglaender?
- What is Echuca Entertainment
- How to factor x + 1 2 9
- What are some creative consulting company websites
- How's the night life in Poway, CA.
- How to say fire in Latin
- How strict are AP classes
- Is patent law state or federal
- How is Brexit good for India?
- Which companies sell or rent wedding signs
- What are your reviews of Pyrocrat Systems
- What is vasovagal syncope
- How does clotrimazole kill fungi
- What is the advantage of an APSC coaching
- How are investment banks organized
- What are the uses of HSP90 screening
- Why is Ariana Grande too thin
- Can Facebook actually become privacy-friendly?
- How to design programs in Racket
- What does ESD stand for in shipping
- What is Australia's Favorite Brewery
- Who does sentiment analysis in Spanish