Why do people store excess food
No more food waste
1.3 billion tons of food end up in the garbage every year and at the same time 690 million people worldwide go hungry. A third of what is produced worldwide is lost because it was damaged during manufacture or transportation, or because it spoils in warehouses, shops and households.
Around 75 kilograms of food end up in the trash per capita and year in Germany!
In Germany alone, around 12 million tons of food are wasted every year. This is not just a waste of money - the real price of our consumption is much higher.
Where do the raw materials for our food come from?
We use the resources of others - their land, their labor, their water. So let's not waste it! There are many ways to save food. Here are some action ideas:
Here's what you can do about food waste
- Saving food while shopping: a crooked cucumber, a tin with a dent, a mango with a scar. If everyone only buys the pristine groceries, the rest is left over, eventually sorted out and thrown away. Stay away from giant packages - they may spoil before they are used up.
- Buy food regionally: Products from the region are fresher and richer in content than unripe harvested tropical fruits. A pineapple has significantly higher transportation and environmental costs than a locally grown apple.
- Saving food in the refrigerator: sort new food to the back, older ones to the front. Transfer open canned food into containers made of glass, metal or plastic. Vegetables belong in the vegetable drawer.
- Sharing food: Are there any leftovers from yesterday's party? It's Sunday and you're missing two eggs for baking a cake? Via foodsharing platforms (www.foodsharing.de) private individuals, retailers or producers can offer or collect surplus food free of charge. Alternatively, you can ask people in the neighborhood whether they are open to sharing food and, for example, set up a food sharing box in the hallway.
You can find more tips, more backgrounds and numerous downloads on our topic page:
- What objects are obtuse angles
- What are the best practices of BPMN
- Who is the best playmaker ever
- Is it worth a Netflix India subscription
- How does commercial media advertising work
- How is the fee structure at SVCE
- Can you predict dreams
- How do I use my best advantages
- Why is CBD not prescribed by doctors
- Where is Nashik City
- Who will win the Broncos Browns game
- The AIDS virus is replicated through mitosis
- How many members are there on Twitter
- What is Fardeen Khan doing these days
- Reading helps you improve memory
- About how many unknown elements are there
- How do gravity and speed affect time?
- What happened to the Russian Jews
- Why is moral development important
- What were the Ten Commandments on?
- Can you have too many friends
- Dodd Frank is repealed
- What are the uses of concave lenses
- How are computers useful in hospitality?