Why is Chicago such a war zone
Zero tolerance: why Chicago is sinking into violence and New York is alive
There have been phases in the history of New York City when the city seemed to sink into a wave of violence. One of them wasn't that long ago. In the early 1990s, the police counted more than 1.1 million crimes each year. There were 100,000 break-ins, over 200,000 robberies, and nearly seven murders a day in the five boroughs, more than 2,500 in total.
In this apparently lawless time, in which not only East Harlem and the South Bronx resembled a war zone that even the police hardly dared to enter, the metropolis on the Hudson River was considered ungovernable.
Republicans zero tolerance
And no one seemed to have a solution to the ongoing problems. So New York declined until the Republican Mayor Rudolph Giuliani took over the city in 1994 - with spectacular success in the fight against crime. Giuliani's “zero tolerance policy” found imitation worldwide.
“I can still remember it very vividly,” said Acting Police Commissioner of New York, James P. O'Neill, now at the presentation of the 2016 crime record. “At that time, you couldn't see the color of the subways because of the graffiti detect. Every year we had more than 5,000 shootings and well over 2,000 murders. ”Today, he can assure from his own experience,“ New York is a completely different city ”.
- Why is New York University so expensive
- Why is time a variable
- What is the Zomato Original
- Why is snow slippery
- What's your unforgettable day on Quora
- Are boys and girls good roommates?
- Is there a cure for epididymal cysts
- Makes eating honey fat
- What is the best semi-rugged laptop
- What do you call this organic compound
- How does Adderall XR treat anxiety
- Which scale sounds jazziest
- What is the best bolt finder
- How does the moon create a solar eclipse
- Where I print paper cups
- Offer plumbers free estimates
- Can PQWL12 be confirmed
- Who produced the Swipely homepage video
- Why was Malcolm X important to the story
- What is Saskatchewan's Transportation
- Sales jobs are difficult
- Credit card cashbacks are a scam
- How do I improve word strength
- What is the best cure for distractibility