Which one is Snapchat or Facebook more popular
YouTube, Instagram & SnapChat more popular than Facebook
According to a Pew Research Center survey on the usage behavior of social media among young people, changes crystallized for 2018 compared to the 2015 survey.
Facebook is becoming less attractive
The online platforms YouTube (85%), Instagram (72%) and SnapChat (69%) are the most popular among teens and have relegated Facebook (51%) from the previously undisputed leader to fourth place. In terms of frequency of use, 35% use Snapchat, 32% YouTube and 15% Instagram. Only 10% said that they would use Facebook most often.
It doesn't work without a cell phone
The smartphone has become even more the focal point of online activities. 95% of teenagers now own or have access to their own.
This also leads to increased online activities. 45% of the young people stated that they were online almost constantly.
Gender and educational differences
The survey also shows differences in usage behavior among boys and girls as well as differences between teenagers who come from households with lower and higher incomes. Girls are more likely to use SnapChat than boys, while YouTube is their favorite. Teenagers from lower-income households are more likely to use Facebook, while teenagers from households with higher incomes are more likely to use YouTube.
Effects on everyday life
When it comes to the effects of social media on their everyday lives, teenagers have different views. 45% believe the effects are neither positive nor negative. 31% are of the opinion that social media had a positive effect on their everyday life and 24% describe the effects as predominantly negative.
Communication, access to information & self-expression
For those who described the effects on their everyday life as positive, the simple and fast interpersonal communication & interaction as well as quick access to news & information and contact options with like-minded people were the main arguments. But pure entertainment, self-presentation & potential support from others with questions & problems were also mentioned as further advantages.
The other side of the coin
But the negative effects of social media are also clearly addressed. Bullying and the spread of rumors under the guise of anonymity come first. The frequent use of social platforms affects interpersonal relationships and leads to less meaningful interpersonal interactions. Social media also distort reality and give teenagers an unrealistic insight into the lives of other people, according to the adolescents, who tend to perceive the effects of social media as negative.
You can read the full article and survey results here.
Train media skills
Are you interested in media skills training for your employees and trainees?
Feel free to contact us!
- Why can't helicopters travel transatlantic?
- How can poetry change lives
- When will we have nanobots?
- How to simplify sin3x cosx
- How much damage can anthrax cause
- What are subatomic particles for children
- What is euro short for?
- Do you think Mike Shinoda is underestimated?
- Are all tile floors waterproof
- Can lead oxide be reduced by hydrogen
- Is an electron a dipole
- What is the NTT data check pattern
- Why is this evil sadistic
- Why shouldn't I marry you
- What are some portable PCR amplifiers
- Why is democracy expensive
- How to change JPG to PDF
- How do I detoxify caffeine
- Which Android app plays music over FM
- Arrogance is always a sign of immaturity
- When will IOTA reach 500 per coin
- What is the mirror made of sheet aluminum
- Give flowers to guys to other guys
- Helps screaming the lungs