Why is Excel called Excel
Part of Speech: VerbHyphenation:
- ex | cel, past participle: ex | celled, present participle: ex | cel | ling
- IPA: [ɪkˈsel], past participle: […], present participle: […]
- 1) intransitive:to excel in / at something: to excel, to excel at something; excellent at something, being an ace
- 2) reflexive: surpass yourself
- occupied since about 1400; from Latin ex-cellere "Rise up / protrude, rise"
- 1) I've never excelled at English.
- I never was especially good in english.
- 1) Tom excels at chess - you can't beat him.
- Tom is in playing chess an ace - no one can conquer him.
- 1) to excel at diving - be a good diver
- 1) to excel at school - shine at school
- 1) to excel in certainareas - to stand out in certain areas
- excelsior, excellent
- Simple present: I, you, they excel; hey, she, it excels
- Simple past: excelled
- Present participle: excelling
- Past participle: excelled
Practical example sentences
Automatically selected examples in English:
„Bayern Munich have been crying out for a new playmaker to excel in the No.10 role. In recent years, Mario Götze and James Rodriguez have failed to truly find their feet but Philippe Coutinho may prove to be the answer.“
Deutsche Welle, August 22, 2019
„In the club game, Nickie Quaid is regarded as a jack of all trades, the man to excel in any role asked of him, but as an inter-county star he's a master of the small square.“
Independent.ie, July 27, 2019
„Stormzy wants to prove to young black people that they can excel in whatever lane they want.“
Female First, January 09, 2019
„The latest NCAA Academic Progress Rate scores show college athletes are continuing to excel in the classroom - though they may be hitting a peak.“
The Washington Times, May 8, 2019
„Wales excel themselves by committing two handling errors in three passes. England have a scrum in middle of Wales half. 3.08pm BST George Ford caresses it over from close range.“
The Guardian, August 11, 2019
„Greg Inglis could have returned to the Origin arena this year, but he opted against the move to allow the Maroons ’rising stars a chance to excel on the big stage.“
news.com.au, October 27, 2020
„They need to almost excel beyond the average male in order to be heard, to stand out enough and to be recognized.“
Female First, October 04, 2020
„He may not have got on the score-sheet, but Giroud’s physical presence and hold-up play enabled Kylian Mbappe and Antoine Griezmann to excel as France won Russia 2018. “He was fundamental,” said coach Didier Deschamps.“
FIFA, October 07, 2020
The usage examples were selected automatically and may therefore contain errors.
Entries from our dictionary containing "excel":
davanter:… 1) esport, futbol, futbolista application examples: 1) Uwe Seeler era un davanter center excel.lent. German: Uwe Seeler was a fantastic center forward ...
centrecampista:… 1) esport, futbol, futbolista Examples of use: 1) El centrecampista ha fet un joc excel.lent. English: The midfielder has a brilliant game ...
exceed: ... - Your success exceeded all expectations. Synonyms: cap, overstep, surpass, transcend excel, outdo, outstrip, outvie, pass, surpass phrase / idioms: exceed a quota -…
excels: excels (English) part of speech: conjugated form grammatical features: 3rd person singular indicative present active of the verb excel
excelled: excelled (English) part of speech: conjugated form grammatical features: simple past of the verb excel part of speech: participle II Grammatical features: past participle ...
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Excel" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (23.5.2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/excel/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. You can add comments such as examples of use or hints on the use of the term "excel" and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
excelled (English) Part of speech: Conjugated form Grammatical characteristics: Simple past of the verb excel Part of speech:…
excellent (English) Part of speech: Adjective increases: Positiv excellent, comparative more excellent, superlative most excellent ...
excelling Part of Speech: Participle I Grammatical characteristics: Present participle of the verb excel
excels (English) Part of speech: Conjugated form Grammatical characteristics: 3rd person singular indicative present active of the verb excel
except (English) Part of speech: preposition Hyphenation: ex | cept Word meaning / definition: 1) except, not including, ...
excepte (Interlingua) Part of speech: preposition Hyphenation: ex | cep | te Word meaning / definition: 1) except, except ...
excepted (English) Part of speech: conjugated form Grammatical features: simple past of the verb except part of speech: ...
excepter (French) Part of Speech: Verb Conjugations: Present: je; do; il, elle, on; nous; vous; ils, elles auxiliary verb: ...
excepting Part of Speech: Participle I Grammatical characteristics: Present participle of the verb except
exceptio (Latin) Part of speech: noun, (feminine) Word meaning / definition: 1) Exception application examples: 1) Hoc ...
- How does computer programming work 1
- What is the full form of YCMOU
- What is a framed television
- Can go vinyl flooring over concrete
- What percentage of iPads sold are 3G
- Can sertraline be taken by children
- What if I learn the piano
- What does it mean to bring the hammer down
- Would you marry a schizophrenic
- What is kite fishing
- How did Ireland get out of poverty
- How do I generate website traffic offline
- What is spatial science in geography
- Why Hinduism is so tolerant
- Who was the first Japanese geisha
- What happened to the Russian Jews
- What is zoning in real estate
- Can i drink black tea
- What are the best poems for Mother's Day
- Do you ever feel like leaving life?
- Which audio books would be good for children
- Can people develop super powers
- How well do you know an octopus
- What are the best bartending books