Is dextrose a refined sugar
Sugar has many names
Sugar is not always listed as such in the list of ingredients, but can hide behind many terms. In addition to ingredients that contain “sugar” in their names, food manufacturers also use other types of sugar or sweetening ingredients, some of which are difficult to recognize as sugar due to their complicated-sounding chemical names.
Sugars and high-sugar ingredients include:
- Fructose syrup or fructose-glucose syrup
- Glucose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup or corn syrup
- Caramel syrup
- Maltose or malt extract / barley malt extract
The carbohydrate maltodextrin also contains sugar - up to 20 percent, depending on the type of maltodextrin. It tastes little or no sweet and is sometimes used in low-sugar products.
In addition, sugar can also get into food via a sweetening ingredient, for example in the form of honey, grape fruit sweetness, date powder and syrup such as agave syrup. Fruit concentrates, purees or dried fruits such as raisins also contain a lot of sugar.
Manufacturers are not obliged to indicate the amount of each type of sugar used. However, an orientation can be the placement of the above-mentioned terms in the list of ingredients. If they are far ahead, this indicates a high sugar content in the food. If different types of sugar are in different places in the list of ingredients, it is often not possible to estimate the sugar content.
Sugar in the nutritional table
The nutritional table, which can be found on almost all packaged foods, provides information about the total sugar content of the food.
However, the different definitions of the term “sugar” in the nutritional labeling and in the list of ingredients can be confusing. Because in the nutritional table all the mono- and disaccharides contained in the product are referred to as "sugars" and are calculated together. This also includes naturally contained sugars, for example from fruit or milk.
In the list of ingredients, however, all types of sugar are listed individually. If there is "sugar", then the beet or cane sugar (sucrose) is meant.
- Why is nobody talking about Fukushima
- What do the Danes think of Hamlet?
- WiFi receivers have a unique ID
- In Italian, where is Boh from
- What do mercury and aluminum do together
- What is a muddler
- Why is Verizon so fast
- What will you wear for Purim
- How do I calculate 99 999 9999
- Is GarageBand a good DAW
- Have you been affected by Dorian?
- What's your proudest college achievement
- What are the advantages of Salesforce Visualforce
- What are the top five Mexican films
- How can I successfully blackmail the Batman
- How do musicians visualize music?
- The demand for oil is increasing
- Can lead oxide be reduced by hydrogen
- What are freemium apps
- What if I sleep 4 hours a day
- Rey is a product of the Midichlorians
- How can I ask high quality questions
- What would Alan Moore's worst job be?
- Where can I find B2B affiliate marketers