What is a reciprocal in math
Reading time: 5 min
We can use the reciprocal value not only for fractions, but also when transforming equations. To do this, we need to invert the left side of the equation as well as the right side of the equation.
If there is a fraction on each side, then we proceed as follows:
Both sides are equal in value, and that is
Reciprocal of the equation:
Both sides are still the same in value, with
If two numbers a and b are identical, then, of course, also because they are exactly the same numerical values. (Apart from that, the reciprocal cannot be calculated because it is not defined.)
Therefore, “taking the reciprocal” is a valid refor- mation of the equation as long as neither side of the equation is 0, that is, it does not change the solution set of the equation. The value for the unknown x is not changed.
For example, if we want to solve the simple equation:
Then we take the reciprocal on both sides and get:
The reciprocal of the sum on one side of the equation
We can also form the reciprocal value if there is a sum on one side of the equation. Then the total sum must be taken into account for the reciprocal value. Example:
Reciprocal value as multiple transformation of the equation
It's no magic that the reciprocal of an equation works. We can prove it as a multiple transformation of the equation:
We recognize that is equivalent (equal in value) to.
The reciprocal of an equation is nothing more than a multiple multiplication or division of the corresponding values.
- What qualifies as big data
- How do I create a website PDF
- Why is chalk left on the blackboard?
- Requires energy space
- Do you think Mike Shinoda is underestimated?
- How do GPCRs activate G protein
- What ancient society invented fascism
- Can I download Cengage books for free?
- What is 10x genomics
- What is the purpose of standardizing data
- Which functions can be added to WhatsApp
- Why are cows so beautiful
- What is plant pathology
- How was your long conversation with someone
- What is the best semi-rugged laptop
- How do I get international return postage
- How much is the Europa League worth
- How can I start a top-up portal
- Why did Tom Cruise become less popular
- Should we all ban advertising Why
- What kind of military glasses are they
- What makes reed croet poisonous to dogs
- Can Great Britain have a king and a queen
- Are electric aircraft already in use?