What are the effects of the population explosion
Population growth: danger or opportunity?
The United Nations have published a study according to which there will be four billion more people on earth by 2100. The world population is growing so fast that many people are afraid of the future. Because the population is growing the most in poor countries, where people already have many problems. The Political scientist Ute Stallmeister says: “The danger is that poverty and hunger continues to increase. "
But that doesn't necessarily have to be true. “It's not that easy with that growth of population and poverty, ”says Gerhard Heilig from the United Nations. “Population growth can also be positive effect on the Economic growth If there are many young people with good education in a country, the economy can grow very quickly.
The study expects that as the world population increases, cities in particular will get bigger and bigger. That is why it is important that governments do a lot more in Infrastructure, Water supply and Sewage systemsinvest. This is the only way to prevent even more people from having to live in poor conditions.
Ute Stallmeister also thinks that people will have to live more frugally in the future: “Because if everyone on earth lived the way we do today in Germany or the USA, the earth would no longer be today sustainable. ”Learn the mankind from that, then she could live happily on earth in the year 2100 as well.
Study, -n (f.) - a scientific study on a specific topic
United Nations (f., plural only) - the UN; an international political organization
Political scientist - someone who has studied political science
poverty (f., singular only) - the fact that people are poor
not necessarily - so not sure; not in any case
growth of population (n., singular only) - the fact that the number of people on earth or in a certain place is increasing.
Effect, -e (m.) - the consequence; The effect
Economic growth (n., only singular) - the positive development of the economy
Infrastructure (f., singular only) - all equipment / facilities that are necessary for the development of the economy, e.g. roads so that cars can drive
Water supply, -en (f.) - the technique with which fresh water is brought to the people
Sewage system, -e (n.) - the pipes through which the dirty water flows away from the houses.
invest - here: investing money or working time in something so that it gets better
not sustainable - What is meant here: in such a way that it is not possible for people on earth to live together
mankind (f., singular only) - all people
Questions about the text
1. What is the statement in the text?According to a study by the UN ...
a) In the year 2100 there will be up to four billion people in the world.
b) poverty will increase in the world.
c) The world population will grow by four billion by 2100.
2. What does Gerhard Heilig mean?
a) The economy could grow as the population grows.
b) With high population growth, poverty always rises too.
c) The population only grows when the economy grows too.
3. What is the opinion of Ute Stallmeister?
a) Everyone should live like the people in the USA or Germany.
b) Humanity will have to live with less luxury in the future.
c) Humanity will be happier in 2100 than it is today.
4. In which sentence are the words in the correct order?
a) If the population grows so rapidly, there is a risk that poverty will also grow.
b) If the population grows so rapidly, there is a risk that poverty will also grow.
c) If the population grows so rapidly, there is a risk that poverty will also grow.
5. Which sentence is correct?
a) As cities grow, governments need to invest in infrastructure.
b) As cities grow, governments need to invest in infrastructure.
c) When cities grow, governments must invest in infrastructure.
How is the population development in your country? What problems or opportunities does this arise?
- What moved New England's colonial economy
- How does self defense work
- How would I sell my 1 kidney
- Why is J Hope so underestimated
- Does Algeria have any border disputes
- Why did you sell your business 1
- Is Avenger Street 220 worth buying
- Mehtas also come to Punjabi
- What is a jet push
- How do I use two phones
- Recommend substance abuse
- Why do measurements motivate people to perform?
- What are your experiences with bisexual men
- Who would win Goku SS3 or Broly?
- Are waist trainers dangerous
- Why do mostly boys play Fortnite
- What is a regulated one in the power plant
- Why should we fear Google because of data protection
- Ain't Google Pixel 3a a waste of money
- What is considered low budget filmmaking these days
- Which band sang the song Fake It
- How selective is the ESCP Bachelor?
- What role should men play in feminism?
- What benefits do films offer you