Why wasn't Led Zeppelin shown in Woodstock
50 Years of Woodstock: How Bob Dylan and Co missed the music event of the century
The performances of artists such as Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Joan Baez are unforgettable. But there were also some top bands and artists who missed this milestone in music history for reasons that sometimes seem very meager today:
Dylan, meanwhile winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature, was an icon even then. He missed Woodstock even though he lived not far from the festival grounds north of New York City. It is said that he was so annoyed by constant visits from hippies that he turned it down and traveled to England on that August weekend in 1969.
Another story is rumored in Julien Bitoun's book "50 years: The Story of Woodstock live": According to this, the author of "Like a Rolling Stone" did not appear because his son was ill at the time. Two weeks later, however, Dylan was on stage at a music festival on the Isle of Wight in southern England.
In the late summer of 1969, the Fab Four had just finished the photo shoot for the now legendary album cover "Abbey Road" on a zebra crossing in front of their London studio. However, the band wasn't ready to cross the Atlantic and play their latest hit "Come Together" in Woodstock. Some have blamed John Lennon's wife, Yoko Ono, for the no-show in the past, but Bitoun says the theory is not watertight.
In fact, the Beatles were already about to break up at the time: their last appearance together - as it turned out in retrospect - had already taken place in January 1969 in London. Lennon left the Beatles in September 1969 and the band officially broke up the following year.
The Rolling Stones
The summer of '69 did not go well for the Stones frontman Mick Jagger: he missed the hippie festival that shaped a generation and instead went to Australia to make a film that no one remembers today.
When the organizers wanted to revive the Woodstock magic in Altamont, California months later, the focus was on the Rolling Stones. Unfortunately, however, Hells Angels gang members patrolled there and one festival-goer was killed. For many veterans of the era, this incident marked the end of the "Peace and Love" decade.
The British rock idols preferred the beach to Woodstock slush that summer, and on Woodstock weekend they played to enthusiastic audiences in Ashbury Park on New Jersey's Atlantic coast. Peter Grant, Led Zeppelin's manager at the time, is quoted in the book "Led Zeppelin: the Concert File" as saying, "I said no to Woodstock because there we would have been just one other band on the list."
The Doors didn't play at Woodstock "because we were stupid and refused," as guitarist Robby Krieger openly admitted. "We thought it was a second-rate iteration of the Monterey Pop Festival," said Krieger, referring to the 1967 California Music Festival.
The song "Woodstock" was written by the singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell, but the Canadian did not play there. She did not compose the ballad that idealizes the festival until 1970. It was originally scheduled for the festival Sunday, but had to cancel because her manager David Geffen had booked her for a TV appearance in New York City on Monday and feared that she would not do it on time would create.
- Who sang the Punjabi song Taara
- Burping and farting are unique to humans
- What are some facts about schizophrenia
- How can we stop watching porn videos
- How do you develop research creativity
- Why do companies launch their stocks
- What's the scariest part of the prison
- How much have you invested in Litecoin
- What does a woman wear
- What are merciless killings
- What do you know about testosterone
- When will the cough phlegm go away
- Could a perpetual motion machine eliminate the shortage
- Would you marry a pirate
- How can I help stop the slaughter of horses?
- How did seafarers use dead reckoning
- Kylo Ren has no siblings
- Why are Blackberry Phones so expensive
- How do I carry out effective performance management
- Any element can be called organic
- May I get your autograph
- Which smartphone is best among 20,000
- What are advisory stocks
- Resorts in Corbett
- Are there Buddhists who are very evangelical?
- Do you know the city of Petra
- How should I create a curriculum
- How do you get homesick or car sickness
- What is popular mobile messenger in USA
- How is the flywheel connected to the crankshaft
- What is the FreeGrabApp Rating
- How do I overcome reluctance
- How were computers invented