Can we make it super human
Pronounced ... posthuman Watch out, the super people are coming!
A long-cherished dream is within reachAltering a person's genome so that the alteration is inheritable is known as research on the human germline; In other words: The genes are changed within the germ cells or the reproductive cells, i.e. egg or sperm cells. The currently used technique CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats) has already proven to be helpful in the genetic treatment of diseases. However, using this method for reproductive purposes is very risky, as we still know relatively little about how individual genes interact with other genes over time and what effects such a change has on a baby's development.
Risky researchAlthough international science agrees not to forbid interfering with human genetic material, the opposition to such a practice is rather low. Japan, for example, only issued guidelines last September that theoretically restrict that human embryos may be manipulated. However, these regulations are not legally binding, and so are many other countries, including the United States and China.
China creates a fait accompliIt became clear last November how urgent a discussion about genetically modified humans is. At that time, the Chinese scientist He Jiankui announced that he had interfered with the genome of a pair of twins in order to protect them from an HIV virus that is present in the baby's father. This is the first case in human history where the genetic makeup of human infants has been altered. To make the twins immune to the HIV virus, He eliminated a gene called CCR5. This gene not only makes mice smarter, it also helps the human brain to recover from a stroke and is apparently also necessary for a successful school career.
Pandora's box is open
The horror in the entire world of science was great, including in China. He is no longer allowed to conduct research and has withdrawn from the public. However, his work opened Pandora's box. What punishment would He get if the twins got a unique incurable disease due to their genetic make-up?And what about the college of academics that supported He's work by keeping quiet about their machinations from the start? What if he is a role model for his colleagues and they are now following in the footsteps of “Dr. Frankenstein ”want to step in order to create more superhuman beings? And how would these beings created by you affect the human gene pool?
Due to the vague legal situation in this area, we can hardly give any answers at the moment, although these are urgently needed. Governments around the world need more sophisticated and stricter laws to stop such unscrupulous experimentation and not endanger the future of the human species. The point is not to rebel against innovations out of vague fears, but to prevent human lives from being viewed as necessary sacrifices. In short, we must protect humanity from the arrival of superhumans.
In our column series “Pronounced…”, Liwen Qin, Maximilian Buddenbohm, Dominic Otiang’a and Gerasimos Bekas write alternately every week. In “Outspoken… posthuman”, Liwen Qin observes technical progress and how it affects our lives and our society: in the car, in the office and at the supermarket checkout.
- What do book bulbs think of e-books
- Who is a better rapper MGK or Macklemore
- What are the disadvantages of sunbathing
- Who is Alfred Pennyworth DC
- How did the racial characteristics develop
- What is a sup
- What does a particle still mean?
- What was your job in the navy
- What is the Schumanns frequency
- What is the purpose of a magnetron
- Why did Indians wear fringed leather?
- Is it worth buying a used PlayStation
- How do current engineers beat arrogance
- How can you become a Tableau Developer?
- MovieStarPlanet VIP is an unsafe purchase
- Why do some people not respect our soldiers?
- Why are people with depression angry
- What more does my image website need
- What are the best poems for Mother's Day
- Flames can be green
- Can the gravitational energy be quantized
- What allows the FTC to impose fines?
- How do I start my acting career
- What egg liqueur is made of
- Why do video games have delays
- What does Matthew 5 44
- Why is God desperate for worshipers
- Emma Watson realizes her own beauty
- What is the feeling of being uplifted
- Why do people attack planned parenting?
- Satellite phones are smartphones
- Why do different birds have different feet
- Can Ebola infect dogs
- Why is my portable charger not charging?