How can you secure your WordPress content
Create a WordPress backup and import it again
Would you like to create a Wordpress backup? Perhaps you have just carried out an update, since then your website is no longer accessible? For the future, we will show you how you can create a backup for your WordPress website and restore your website.
Create a WordPress backup and secure your website
In the past, creating backups was time-consuming and laborious. With today's technology, data backup is much faster, since antiquarian storage media, such as floppy disks, have meanwhile been replaced by USB sticks and cloud services. The effort to be invested in regular backups is therefore significantly lower.
Basic rules for creating a WordPress backup
In order to secure your WordPress website in the event of a disaster, there are three important rules that you should follow when backing up your website.
1. Regular backups
Creating a backup is not a one-time thing. Establish a regularity for your hedges. This should be based on how often you publish new content. Use plugins that create automatic backups for your website. Normally these only have to be checked.
2. Backup after every update of the WordPress installation
It is recommended to create a backup for your WordPress installation before every update - also for plugins or themes.
3. Use different storage media
Save your backup to multiple locations at the same time. This can be a hard drive, cloud or USB stick. If the cloud service is not available, the hard drive and USB stick break, you have at least your backup on an intact storage medium.
What is saved with a WordPress backup?
The backup for your website consists of two areas:
- The WordPress website is all files, such as images, plugins or the theme itself.
- The MySQL database, it consists of the content such as subpages, blog posts, comments and user data.
The two points mentioned include a full backup of your website. As already mentioned, a WordPress data backup can be implemented manually or automatically. We present both methods to you below.
Which backup plugin is available?
A popular plug-in for creating a backup is “BackWPup” with currently 500,000 active installations and an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars.
BackWPup offers the following functions:
- Backup of the WordPress database (MySQL)
- A WordPress XML export
- Optimizing your database
- Checking and repairing your database
- File (s) backup (images, plugins, theme)
In addition, the plugin can be connected to various cloud services such as Dropbox and Google Drive.
Create and schedule WordPress backup
- You can create a backup plan with the “BackUPup” plugin:
- Go to “BackUPup” in the backend of your WordPress website
- Schedule a new backup under “New Job”
- Set the output file as “Zip”
- Connect “BackUPup” to a cloud service like Google Drive or Dropbox - there is only one for this
- Authentication required
- Define an e-mail to which “BackUPup” should send a log
- You can find your plan under “Jobs”, here you can run the backup by clicking “Start now”
Perform a manual WordPress backup
In the event that for whatever reason your automated backup solution fails or does not function properly. Manual protection is therefore an alternative. Here we explain how.
First you need access to your FTP server as well as your MySQL database.
Step 1: Back up the data on your FTP server
Log in with your user data with an FTP client (we recommend Filezilla) on your FTP server and save your WordPress installation including your .htacess file on your hard drive. You will receive the login data from your hoster.
Step 2: Export WordPress database (MySQL)
Log into your phpMyAdmin via the customer area of your host. Here you can select the database of your WordPress installation. Click on “Export” in the top menu, select the “SQL” format and click “OK”.
Restore WordPress backup
Creating a backup is quick and easy. The hard part is putting it back in or restoring the WordPress website should it be damaged. But don't worry, basically the same steps are necessary as for creating the backup, only in reverse order. This can happen automatically or manually.
Scenario: The backend of the WordPress website is no longer accessible
If the backend of your WordPress installation is no longer accessible, we suggest a manual restore.
Import database via MySQL:
- Log into phpMyAdmin with your access data
- Select the database of your WordPress.
- Now click on "Import" and use the "Search" function to select the .sql file of the backup.
- Normally the standard settings can be kept. However, you should check whether the format “sql” and the character encoding “utf-8” are set.
- Now start the import and press "OK"
Import data via FTP
To complete your WordPress restore, the data such as images, themes and plugins still need to be uploaded to your web server. The easiest way to do this is with the recommended FTP client Filezilla.
- Log in to your web server via Filezilla.
- Now select the saved backup in the left area of Filezilla
- Now drag and drop the backup folder onto your server in the area on the right.
The copying process with Filezilla can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, depending on the size of your folder and your internet connection.
Do you have questions about database backup and restoration of your website? CCDM GmbH will be happy to answer any questions you may have. To contact You us!
- Birds eat cheese
- How would you describe the politics of Chhattisgarh
- What is 4 5 6 7 8
- What is PR consulting
- How can I write a better shayari
- Is imperialism a consequence of the industrial revolution?
- Can I switch to Analytics?
- Can you eat seaweed
- Who is Lord Dhanvantari
- What is site maintenance
- Are boys and girls good roommates?
- Has Jesus ever visited Ireland
- What is the name of dry paint
- Is dignity vital
- Materialism leads to depression
- How do inductance and reactance differ?
- What is the future for small manufacturers
- What is the intuition behind this solution
- Is dextrose a refined sugar
- Is it acceptable to hate BuzzFeed?
- Where does my last name Bazal come from?
- What is the temperature of Lake Powell
- Fat Affects Your Weight
- What is subtle flirting