Are emotions voluntary
Representation of Emotions and Emotionalization in Literature and Film
Date: November 18-20, 2010
Organizer: Sandra Poppe (Mainz)
The workshop treated the specificity of fictional emotions under an intermedial perspective. Apart from general questions concerning the fictional character of literary and filmic emotions, the workshop focused on the different medial strategies of emotionalization and in what way they evoke different emotions depending on the literary or filmic representation. Taking approaches from other disciplines like psychology, neuroscience and media-science as a basis, the workshop made out numerous similarities between the representation and reception in both media concerning, for example, the paradox of fiction or the paradox of mimesis. A closer examination and comparison of the means of representation revealed that audiovisual emotions can be received more directly than literary emotions that are always conveyed and received cognitively through language. Furthermore, the interrelation between represented emotions, received emotions and the circumstances of the reception (collective vs. individual) was taken into consideration. Finally, the affinity between certain emotions and their medial representation was reconsidered. In a reception with the author Katharina Hacker and the film director Oskar Roehler practical aspects concerning the artistic treatment of fictional emotions were discussed. The papers of the workshop will be published as proceedings at the end of the year.
Thomas Anz (Marburg), Michael Braun (Cologne), Jens Eder (Mainz), Anna Fenner (Göttingen), Anne Fuchs (Dublin), Ulla Gosmann (Herten), Tilmann Habermas (Frankfurt am Main), Katharina Hacker (Berlin), Julian Hanich (Berlin), Emilia Linda Heinrich (Greifswald), Claudia Hillebrandt (Göttingen), Werner Kamp (Cologne), Roland Mangold (Stuttgart), Katja Mellmann (Göttingen), Burkhard Meyer-Sickendiek (Berlin), Pascal Nicklas (Berlin) , Jean-Pierre Palmier (Bielefeld), Katrin Pollmann (Göttingen), Rainer Reisenzein (Greifswald), Oskar Roehler (Berlin), Regina Roßbach (Mainz), Kerstin Thomas (Mainz), Christiane Voss (Weimar), Frank Zipfel (Mainz)
- How is the SAT timed
- Is Canada ready for mobile payments
- What is the role of an understudy
- What if the Romans never invaded Judaea?
- What is social development
- How can I prevent wrinkles from forming?
- Can a Nepalese student take a GATE exam?
- How can I fulfill my wishes
- Diabetes why does it cause nerve damage
- How do I translate Klingon into English
- Where did you get your degree from
- What is the differentiation of x
- Was Einstein weak in practical experiments
- How do worms find food
- Is Aamir Khan an alcoholic
- How do I improve my articulation
- The Thai police treat tourists very nicely
- What is an Italian cheesecake
- What use is an LLB for Americans
- Why couldn't Frodo destroy the ring?
- Which is better LastPass or 1Password
- What's your rating of Wikiwand
- Adam Schiff has an eye disease
- What is Harvard CS50