Why is Andrew Yang asking at 3

AI unemployment: US presidential candidate calls for basic income

His motivation: He wants to help counter the mass unemployment that he claims to be threatened by AI automation. His thesis is supported in other areas: A third of all US jobs could disappear through AI, estimates the management consultancy McKinsey, for example.

Yang does not accept a common counter-argument: that with a technologically induced labor market upheaval, many new jobs will automatically arise that can be filled with workers laid off from other jobs, i.e. that truck drivers, for example, will be trained as programming professionals if at some point in the future autonomous trucks will be trained roll over the asphalt.

Four million production workers have lost their jobs in the past few years, said Yang. Almost half of them stopped working afterwards. A quarter of the group applied for disability recognition, Yang told Wired.

Just met with a robotocist- he described how 96% of a warehouse fulfillment job has been automated leaving humans to do the remaining mind-numbing 4%. They often quit. "If that’s the future of work we need a different one."

- Andrew Yang (@AndrewYang) July 9, 2019

What used to work with farmers, namely retraining for new machine jobs, no longer works for production employees, nor for employees in shopping centers or call centers. Among other things, retraining is too slow. Just because something worked in the past doesn't mean that it will work in the same way again in the future, explains Yang.

Unconditional basic income is supposed to save the economy

Yang describes two glimmers of hope: On the one hand, he would like to offer every US citizen over the age of 18 an unconditional basic income of over 1,000 US dollars per month. Yang estimates that this measure alone would create more than two million new jobs through self-employment and sustainable retraining.

"This is the big step we must take to lead our society through one of the greatest economic and technological changes in our history," says Yang.

On the other hand, Yang hopes that the assessment of the importance of the economy and social value attributions will change. “Do we really believe that mothers and caregivers deserve nothing […]”, asks Yang. These and similar fundamental questions have been neglected for decades. Money should not be equated with a person's worth.

If we mistake money for the worth of a person we are lost.

- Andrew Yang (@AndrewYang) July 9, 2019

"Now it's 2019, AI is kicking in, and we're still doing the same things and using the same economic rules as we did in the 1970s," says Yang. "For me this is ridiculous, a stupid approach and we have to move on as soon as possible."

Source: Wired

Read more about Artificial Intelligence:

steady2

AI Unemployment: US Presidential Candidate Calls for Basic Income was last modified: July 10th, 2019 by Matthias Bastian