Can a robot thread a needle?
Darning socks made easy: Instructions
Fixing socks, sweaters, and pants can be worthwhile. Especially when it comes to high quality products. A needle and thread are not always necessary for this.
Who is still darning socks these days? Or mending holes in sweaters or pants? After all, clothing is cheaper than ever. In fact, this time-consuming work is not worthwhile with many everyday socks. But if really good, high-quality clothing has holes in it, darning can be quite useful.
Stuff holes without needles and thread
If the hole in your sock or sweater is still very small, you will not need thread or a needle to repair it. Just some lining material - in two different strengths - and an iron. (You can also see the procedure here in the video.)
- Turn the broken garment inside out.
- Then place it on the ironing board. The hole faces up.
Alternatively, you can put it on your kitchen countertop. Here, however, you should put a towel underneath so that the surface is not damaged. In addition, the worktop should be correspondingly heat-resistant.
- Cut out two pieces of the same size from the lining. Due to their size, these should cover the hole well.
- Switch the iron to "wool".
- Now gently push the fabric together around the hole with your fingers. Avoid the formation of wrinkles.
- First place the thin and then the thicker lining on the hole.
- Moisten the lining and the area around the hole.
- Place a non-iron, lint-free cloth on the lining.
- Moisten it too.
- Place the hot iron on the damp cloth where the hole is for about ten seconds.
The treatment should have connected the lining material to the material of the garment and thus closed the hole.
Instructions: Plug a hole in your sock or sweater
There are three steps to plugging a hole: secure, work horizontally and close vertically. For this repair you need sensitivity and - depending on the size of the hole - some time.
- To back up: First, enclose the hole generously with thread: you thread a darning thread in small stitches around the edge of the hole. There must be some distance to the hole. This sewing serves as a backup so that the stocking does not pull any further stitches.
- Work horizontally: Now stretch the threads horizontally and across the hole in back and forth threads. The threads must lie close together. Always start the respective back row with the securing thread that is enclosed.
- Close vertically: Now it is the turn of the vertical threads that complete your darning work. You also work in back and forth rows that are hooked back into the safety thread. However, you don't just pull the threads over the hole. You thread these - similar to a weaving work - alternately over and under the already existing horizontal threads. This creates a flat and very durable cross pattern.
Darn hand-knitted woolen socks and sweaters
Do you want to darn hand-knitted garments? Then it would be ideal if you still have a small amount of thread in stock. In all other cases, you should choose a yarn that matches the socks or sweater in terms of color, type and thickness. Special darning yarns are now also available in stores.
You should also use a suitable darning needle with a slightly rounded tip for your work. This makes the threading work easier. For beginners, a darning egg or a darning mushroom is also helpful. You place this piece of wood under the work - this way you have a better overview of the "state of affairs" and prevent the hole from contracting.
Fix tears or small holes in socks
When repairing items of clothing, what matters is the damaged area and its size. If, for example, there is only a short tear or a small hole, you can confidently pull both damages together with a needle and thread. In many cases, it is also necessary to reinforce the area around the tear or hole with a few straight stitches. It is important that you take hold of loose stitches so that they cannot continue running.
If a thin area in the sweater, pants or sock is to be reinforced before a hole is formed, you should pull threads through it generously in horizontal and vertical rows. Work with small stitches and don't pull the threads - this will keep the fabric stretchy.
- Why is absolute zero temperature important
- Where is the Baikonur Cosmodrome
- What should I learn after J2EE
- Which holidays start with the letter J.
- What are some misunderstandings about customer acquisition
- What is the Best Umbraco Hosting Provider
- What is the uncus in the brain
- Which Myers Briggs characters are compatible
- Can SAP Lumira replace the SAP Business Object
- What is GPS Fleet Vehicle Tracking
- Can I bypass the ccavenue payment gateway?
- Google is still making its search appliance
- What excites you every morning
- What is RE PIE Asset Management
- Who is a good translator
- What is the full form of VBCET
- Ammonia is an organic molecule
- Why is crowdfunding being carried out
- What is factor VIII
- All companies must use Scrum
- Why do we have to meditate 2
- The smart drug Bacopa monnieri works
- What is advanced education means
- What makes your password secure