How do I make Chana Masala rice
Chana Masala: Indian chickpea and tomato pot
India has to be an overwhelming country - in many ways. And it's definitely on the list of countries Daniel and I would like to visit someday! Culinary India would certainly be a great enrichment for us, because in no other country in the world there are more vegetarians.
We have often eaten very tasty Indian dishes in restaurants. The only thing that bothers me is that the dishes are often very fatty and contain too much oil for my taste. I have absolutely nothing against oil, but if the food is heavy in my stomach and I sleep poorly the following night, then I know that it was too much.
A few weeks ago we ate a very delicious Chana Masala - a traditional chickpea and tomato curry that is served with bread or rice. And I was thrilled again: the taste and the simplicity of the dish. Tomatoes, chickpeas, rice, spices - that's it. And I wanted to try that out myself at home.
Garam Masala - the spice mix for the Indian "touch"
We are well stocked with spices thanks to our regular visits to the Asian market, including Garam Masala *, of course.
Garam Masala is just like curry a mixture of spices and contains cumin, coriander, pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves, among other things.
A spice mixture alone is usually not enough to season a dish, but it gives the Chana Masala the typical “Indian touch”. If you don't know Garam Masala yet, then you should definitely get it for this dish. It makes seasoning much easier!
You have prepared the Chana Masala in the usual beVegt manner without a lot of frills in a short time. I'm sure you already have a lot of ingredients at home anyway.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 120g rice of your choice e.g. Basmati rice
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying e.g. Coconut oil
- 2TL mustard seeds
- 3 Onions peeled and diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- A piece of ginger the size of a thumb, peeled and finely grated
- 1-2 dried chili peppers, depending on the degree of spiciness, cut into fine rings and pitted if necessary
- 2TL Garam Masala
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 260gchickpeas cooked and well watered
- 1Canned peeled tomatoes
- 120ml water
- 3EL tomato paste
- Chopped fresh coriander
Prepare rice according to the instructions on the packet. We take almost twice the amount of water and a pinch of salt and prepare our rice in the rice cooker *. So nothing burns, nothing boils over and the rice is always perfect.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they slowly start to “jump” add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli pepper, stir and be careful not to burn the garlic and chilli in particular.
- Add all the remaining spices (garam masala, cumin, turmeric, paprika powder and cinnamon), fry briefly and then add the chickpeas to the pan and stir several times. After a minute, deglaze with peeled tomatoes and water. Close the pan with a lid and turn the flame down a little until it is only simmering.
- After 8-10 minutes, fold in the tomato paste. Season to taste and, if necessary, add seasoning - it can really taste “like something”.
- Arrange the chickpea and tomato mixture together with the rice on plates and garnish with plenty of fresh coriander.
Tip: If you are missing the green component - two hands of spinach leaves go very well with chickpeas and rice!
Even more recipe ideas from all over the world
Start the revolution in your kitchen!
In our popular recipe e-books (more than 5,000 copies sold) we present you our favorite dishes according to the ingenious one Grain Green Bean Formula for the perfect vegan dish.
- What's your top ten English pop song
- What is trade marketing
- What is the full form of DLO
- What is undeniably remarkable
- How many people are needed in NGOs
- What is the theme of the film Wiedergaenger
- Why do I have crazy dreams
- What is antivirus software compared to malware
- Why do rains pollute the water
- Bismarck was found
- What is unique about eClerx
- How can harmonic distortion be minimized
- Fake news is widespread in the Philippines
- Why not landlord brokers auction rental properties
- Is there a cure for Hirayama disease
- What's your hard-earned advice
- Why are signatures required for eBay deliveries?
- Which course is required for the system administrator
- Which Showtime series should aspiring screenwriters study
- Which parts of the Kiips model are more proprietary
- How do gases react to temperature
- Why today's youth is addicted to technology
- Which country starts with the letter G.
- You can grow rosemary plant indoors